Does DAW matter?

ICEN

Punchline God
I was just wondering if the choosing a DAW matters not in terms of which is easier but in terms of can it effect quality of your music in any way. For example I use fruity loops to record rap vocals. If I was to switch to pro tools would it make a difference in quality of recordings, vocals or anything. Basically I am getting a audio interface one comes with pro tools and the other interface does not. If pro tools were to increase my quality of tracks then I might be interested but if it makes no difference I might choose the other audio interface which people have said has a little bit better pre amps?

DAWs are all about comfortability. I suggest trying demos to figure out which one you like best. I know FL Studio is great for both veterans and novices alike while programs like Ableton, though powerful, take a little bit more time to understand. It just depends on what you like working with the best. Ableton and FL Studio are ranked at the top (and most popular) DAWs on the market right now but you can't forget to mention Reason, Logic, Pro Tools and even Acid.

It absolutely matters. If you're not using what fits your workflow and functionality like a glove, your music will lack as a result.

Think of it like a car, food, woman, outfit. What works for the next guy won't fit perfectly with you. You have to find what fits your preferences.

It absolutely matters. If you're not using what fits your workflow and functionality like a glove, your music will lack as a result.

Think of it like a car, food, woman, outfit. What works for the next guy won't fit perfectly with you. You have to find what fits your preferences.

Exactly, they all can get different people great results just gotta find out what fits you and makes most sense with your workflow.

Okay I know that it is better for your WORK FLOW but I mean it doesn't effect the quality in away way does it? Like for example if you recorded a song in Fl studio then recorded the same exact song and tried to mix/master it the same way would the quality be different or the same.

By the way I was going to pick up a audio interface which actually included Ableton the other audio interface came with pro tools Se but I might get the one that comes with Ableton just because people have said the pre amps were award winning pre amps and they beat any other interface in its price range. Its called the focusrite scarlett 2i2 its like $123 its either that or one of the Maudios but I've herd the scarlett 2i2 has better pre amps.

Okay I know that it is better for your WORK FLOW but I mean it doesn't effect the quality in away way does it? Like for example if you recorded a song in Fl studio then recorded the same exact song and tried to mix/master it the same way would the quality be different or the same.

No difference, the audio is all 0s and 1s by the time it hits the DAW - it would be pretty f*cked up if a digital system made some "interpretations" on how to record those 0s and 1s. The recording chain defines the quality, the DAW just takes in what it's being fed, so to say.

By the way I was going to pick up a audio interface which actually included Ableton the other audio interface came with pro tools Se but I might get the one that comes with Ableton just because people have said the pre amps were award winning pre amps and they beat any other interface in its price range. Its called the focusrite scarlett 2i2 its like $123 its either that or one of the Maudios but I've herd the scarlett 2i2 has better pre amps.

The versions of DAWs that get bundled with audio interfaces are obviously not the full versions; the developers are not gonna give away their $500 software packages for "like $123". So what you basically get is an "extended demo", or a very limited version of Live or Pro Tools. And well, I guess it's the same thing with the preamps - sure, Focusrite has some award-winning preamps, like the ISA One - which costs about three times the price of a Scarlett 2i2. So they might share a similar design topology, but you can't really expect to get the exact same $500 preamps on a $150 device. That said, the Scarletts are certainly decent enough interfaces.

Ya I realize that the pre amps are not going to be like $500 pre amps. I am just looking for the best possible pre amp in my price range. I can spend $120 maybe a tad more for shipping and stuff. I was just wondering if for the price range of $120 if there is any other pre amp better than the focusrite 2i2. I already got my $250 mxl 4000 it came in a few weeks ago. I went on amazon and there is NO MORE of them so they really did stop selling or discontinued making them like someone told me. If you go on amazon there is a mxl 4000 for $300 and its used LOL.

I'm kind of glad that I bought the 4000 when I did, it started out selling for $200 when people started to buy it, the price went up to $250 that is for a brand new one, now its $300 just for a used one. That being said after someone buys that used $300 mxl 4000 there is no more on amazon so I am happy with what I got I could probably even sell the mic for more profit since there is none online now. I just need to get a mic stand, pop filter, xlr cables then I can record. Thats why I wasn't trying to go all out with money because I still have to buy headphones too.

One question though, lets say I wanted to upgrade past the $120 range for a audio interface, how much further in price would I have to go to even notice a difference in quality when it comes to interfaces.

Last edited:
Back