Do we really need to update our VSTs?

airamitsukifan

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is it possible to create new forms of synthesis? Or never-heard-before sounds? If not, the future keyboards and softwares will be nothing but old sounds in a new package. Then, I should continue to use the same VSTs forever. If it's true that they give you "limitless possibilities" (Komplete 10, anyone?), there is no reason to update, unless you have some future compatibility issue.

All forms of synthesis are just custom methods so yes, in my opinion.
There is no reason to update anything till issues from age show up, as did with my reason 5 when getting metrified and having to use patch to run it in windows metro.

Truly new synthesis methods are few and far between, but there are always ways to further explore the existing ones through intelligent interface design & combinations of different methods. And of course, synths almost always have a sound of their own - which also means that they're not going to cover whichever synthesis types they use in full, even if the parameter combinations are theoretically insanely vast.

Still - the vast majority of, well, anyone using synths nowadays probably haven't exhausted the possibilities of what they have, so your approach is more than commendable.

Personally, I think it's best to stick with just a few VSTis that you really like the sound of and only upgrade them when absolutely necessary. Newer synths are going to have a particular sound that will crop up frequently in modern tracks. However, if you are like me and don't care about your music sounding 'current' then using older versions should be fine.

You get the odd totally new feature in various new synth: serum offers the ability to make wavetables out of samples for example, and quite a few modern synths let you 'draw' your own waveforms, which is quite a new idea.
That said, I can't think of anything that hasn't been done yet. Maybe synth designers will one day run out of ideas.

I always think new music is also technology driven, e.g. there was no rock until we had widely available amps and electric guitars. Maybe once we run out of sounds, dance music as we know it will cease to be fresh

Last edited:
Back