Do newer versions of Reason have keyswitching for articulations?

World Wide

I am still using Reason 4.0 (rewired into Ableton Live with a bunch of other plugins).

I use it as a general "workstation", primarily for acoustic sounds (strings, piano, guitar, brass, etc), but I think it's time to move on to something different in that regard.

One option (and probably the cheapest option), of course, is to just upgrade to the latest version of Reason. But I am wondering...

Does the latest version of Reason include the features modern "workstation" samplers do? Primary keyswitching for different articulations on strings/brass?

I'm assuming this would maybe be a feature in the Combinator?

Also, though less important - round robin sampling?

Thanks in advance!!

When the nn19 came out? Started on Reason when Kong came out but I think nn19 has that.

NN19 definitely doesn't, no. NN19 is the most basic sampler in Reason.

They added NN-XT at some point, which is a more advanced sampler, but I'm like 99% sure that doesn't do it either (if it does, there are no standard Reason factory presets that take advantage of it).

They then later still added the Combinator, which MAYBE has this feature... but if it does, at least as of v4.0, there are no factory presets that take advantage of it.

That's all I know of, since I'm still on v4.0. I'm just wondering if this feature was added (to the built-in devices and factory presets, not as a "rack extension" or whatever) in any version past the 4.0 that I'm using.

Last edited:
I don't think the Combinator allows for an easy keyswitching solution, but people have built stuff that kind of works. I haven't had Reason for years now, so don't know how those patches are actually built - just that they exist.

The popular daws here are protools, fl studio and ableton.
Reason has an entire site dedicated to it for a long time now, as well as gearslutz.

Back