Desperately need help with pro tools and my pre amp

crimsonhawk47

I have a sonar vs-100 from cakewalk, and I think it's causing some issues. It's pretty damn old, so I'm wondering if that's ****ing things up.
Issues I'm having...

-Quantizing a note leads to it only hitting the initial signal, then not holding the note (I've tried note on and note off settings)
-Headphones will pop even with my buffer size over 2000
-The volume fader on my pre amp is controlling the pitch of my plug-ins
-The Pre amp itself only runs in 24 bit 96khz

Should I get a different pre amp?
Do all pre amps have a pre picked bit and khz size?
My mix sessions often have multiple buses and I run them in 96khz 24 bit. Then I dither it down when I'm done. I would prefer to keep it this way but I also would like to be able to access lower bit depths.
Often there's a bit of stuttering when I play it back on this set up, and I had what sounded like distortion when I only had two instruments last time (not hitting the ceiling)
Also, I don't know if it matters, but I have only 2 processors on this computer.
If I should get a new pre amp, which one should I get? Is the fast track solo good?
I just want my pre amp to access cd quality bit depths and 24 bit 96khz.

Also, if 2 processors isn't good for pro tools, should I hook all of this up to my mac book pro?

This is really an audio interface with an integrated control surface rather than just a preamp (or rather, it includes preamps). It's made first & foremost to integrate with Sonar, but obviously this shouldn't be an issue as it should play nicely with other DAWs as well. I'm not really familiar with how PT handles different control surfaces, though.

It should be able to run at other sample rates as well (says so in the specs), and no, audio interfaces are rarely limited to just one. The control surface section probably just sends standard MIDI messages - not sure how you're supposed to assign those (ie. is there a separate software control panel for the VS-100?), but that's why the fader's controlling your plugins' pitch.

An older two-core CPU might have issues running a 96kHz session. If/when you can adjust the sample rate, some of the problems will probably go away...but by all means, if you have a newer MBP to use, run with that.

I'm thinking about replacing it with an mbox. I don't know if it will be an mbox or mbox pro?
Do you recommend that? I just want to get on to pro tools.

Back