Daw workflow suggestions

dclaudio

Hello everyone!
My name is Claudio, I'm a musician and a long time MIDI/DAW enthusiast. And this is my first thread in this forum.
I started with FL Studio ages ago, probably 10 years or so ago, and since then I've always been fascinated by this home studio producing world (plus I'm a bit of a tech geek myself :) )

Alright, to the matter.
Like I said, I started with FL Studio a long time ago, and I sticked with it for quite a long time as well but with time I had to upgrade to something I could use on MAC (I'm also a graphic designer), so I had to say good bye to it. However, if something really shaped my workflow comfort zone was FLS, I used to love the always-in-sight library of samples and the way everything was there just for you to drag and drop, specially when drum programming/sequencing. The processes was just straight forward, the controls were spot on and I pretty much always got the results I wanted. I almost never used VSTs and very few plugins, I just didn't need to.

After a while I changed to Reason 4/5 and even though it was a massive change I got used to it pretty easily. Re-drum was different paradigm but very comfortable tu use at the end of the day, although I still missed the FLS workflow and sample/instrument browsing.

Long story short, now I'm with Logic and I have to say that it's a great piece of software, the instruments are outstanding, and the workflow is pretty awesome, but then again, I lack the always visible sample list. Ultrabeat is a little bit of a drag as I get annoyed that every time that I want to set up a kit I need to go and have a dip into my folders to get the samples to get them dragged into a track just to go back to the next sample again. I tried "MPC Essentials" for a while as a plugin and it solved my browsing problems (sort of) but the soft itself is quite poor in terms of editing and sound design. Also (and this is a question I will go deep in its proper thread) I've been experiencing problems to get a satisfactory audio quality whenever I record any of my basses via audio interface. The sound is always cranky, fussy, with low gain and bland... no matter the amp emulator or the EQ. Although this may be just me being stupid.

Now, I KNOW... that FLS is in beta testing for its OSX version, which personally I'm obviously looking forward to try soon.
ALSO I KNOW, that "good producers would produce with anything... blah blah blah" and I agree to certain extent, but personally I think that strait forwardness and comfortability are key for an effective workflow, as it takes the tech issues out of the way to free creativity.

So, everything said... Any suggestions on which DAW/ DAW + Plugin could solve my workflow problem?

Sorry for the long (first) post, and thank you in advance for your suggestions.
And sorry to the moderators also if this was talked through in some past thread.

Cheers!

From what I gather, I think you should have a look at the NI Maschine.. it ticks all the boxes you mention and is great if you just want to work with samples and record outside sounds.
I was always an FL guy, got a Maschine last month and am now no longer an FL guy, basically... haha.
It has a lot of similarities with FL, but I think it's actually more straightforward and flexible but deep if you want to.

For just recording working with samples, everything is laid out super easy though.

They don't have to expensive.. It's been one of those trendy gadgets people just got and forgot about.
I've seen second hand Mikro's go for 100-120 dollars, including the software. Not sure if that includes the Komplete starter bundle, definitely look for
deals with that included... Massive alone makes it worth it. Also definitely make sure to get version 2 of the software (not to be confused with the MKII hardware),
it's a night and day difference with version 1.

Later on though, if you want to expand it makes getting Komplete that much cheaper (I ended up paying like 200 for it during the sale.. that's crazy value).

Back