Will MIDI solve my problem

R

Ravinder Singh

Hey every one
I use Sound Forge to record samples and than do drum patterns in Reason. And it is very hard line them up in reason, Now if a get the USB MIDI hookup for my computer will this record right on to the Reason Using the Rebirth input machine or something?
or is there any other way of doing that?
help please

My best guess :)

...assuming you mean you want to synchronise your samples with your Reason Drums etc-

I think an audio / midi sequencer might solve your problem, such as Cubase or Logic,

you can control reason from Cubase and probaly Logic and also record your straight into the sequencer.(whilst listening to the rest of tracks if you want)

Mind you, reason has a seqencer of its own built in and the sampler is quite adequate, keep messing with reason you might get what you want,
all the best
Billy

I see what your saying, but I guess that’s where hardware has a bigger hand. I try doing it through Sonar. You know like saving drum patter as an audio file and than making that one track on Sonar. Than record the keys from a regular keyboard into another track. Problem with that is it’s extremely difficult to synchronies the melody with drum patter as a loop. Like trying to bring the same melody again a little later and it’s off beat. But, anyway thanks for the help. Maybe a better keyboard will help me out that have Loop option on it. Or maybe it’s just going to take some time to learn a new creative way of doing that. And I will look into Cubase I hear a lot about these VST things. Reason is good if one starts out with melody, I think it would be a good idea if I start with melody any way huh?
this is what's happening to it
DRUMS _____________
MELODY . . . . . . . . .
but i want this
DRUMS _____________
MELODY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

see what' i'm trying to say , i don't know maybe this will help someone understand my problem.
thanks
Ravi

Does this help?
Export the track from Reason and load it up in Cakewalk (or Sonar).
Do your audio track on a separate track in Sonar.
Export just the new audio track.
Import it into Re-Cycle.
Chop it up.
Save as .rex or .rcy file
Import it into a Dr. Rex in Reason.
You should have more flexibility with it in Reason that way.

J

make sure your BMPs (tempo) are the same..

Sonar has a way to beatmap loop files. Just like acid does. once it figures out the BpM it matches everything to a common tempo.. so things play together.. I'm not sure where in the menues this feature is... check everythign under loop.. and search the help files...

Also make sure that your file starts on th first note... No dead space before the beat starts... that will make it loop out of time.

thanks Rayne I'll check it out my fellow producers are kind of getting tired playing the same pattern on the keyboard for 80 bars i'll look into sonar.
but there got to be a easERr way of doing this.
plus i got this ESQ 1 synth i don't know how old it is , at least 10 years old i can loop on there but again the gap in the begining or the end of the BARS throws everything off. Reason why this is happening is do to , it's only counting bars.
anyway thanks man I just got to mess around with things for a while.

you guys sure MIDI won't help me place thing on track?

your question is a little confusing....... if you use Soundforge to record drum samples(single hits and not loops), then just make sure you cut out any dead space at the beginning and end of your recorded sample, then save as a wav file. then load the wav file in reason in the redrum module, and it should sound fine. if you use rebirth along with reason, you just use the rebirth input module in reason, you don't need any external midi connection(which doesn't work in reason anyways, midi only used to input, not output). only if you're considering using another sequencer would you need a midi interface, but with soundforge and reason you should be set to go!

= chiisu

Back