Who's over "You must Use Pro Tools".

Cash_Daily

Because the major studios use it nonsense.

I used PT LE until my mac died and I can't believe I fell for that
industry standard BS.

But if you're still using it...why?

Last edited:
It's still a deeply entrenched studio tool. I would not recommend it for anyone building a new studio though. It does what it does well and cleanly. Never considered it bad at all. I do prefer other tools over it these days.

An old hammer can still build a solid house.

First of all, whoever told you they use it cause pro studios use it are the same people smoking crack cause the dude down the street is. Stupid argument

But if you're are still using it...why?

Because it's an insanely powerful tool. When we first got it we didn't know how to fully use it, but every day I learn a little more about what it can do, the more I love. Wouldn't trash it for any other program

lol I just had a rapper tell me to get logic or pro tools because studios use it after I told him I use FL.

I know FL got it's weaknesses (like recording audio) but i love it for making beats.

Because the major studios use it nonsense.

I used PT LE until my mac died and I can't believe I fell for that
industry standard BS.

But if you're are still using it...why?

PT has great features but the limits LE has are dumb. We pretty much had to have pt le for school when I went but I still mainly used Nuendo outside of school and still use Nuendo for everything I do. Limiting the amount of tracks you can use when you are constantly layering instruments and stacking vocals is not cool.

My big bro/mentor uses Nuendo over PT in LA and he's crafted hits bigger than ANYONE who's ever been on fp so the answer is "NO" you do not NEED to use PT, it is, however, one of the most used studio tools though!

-Thunder

You want to have Pro Tools running if you work with clients who regularly use it. That's not to say it needs to be your main program, but you want compatibility to make it comfortable for people spending money with you.

It's easier to say "Yes, I use Pro Tools" than to say "No, but if you do blah blah before sending the file, I can mix it in Pro Tools and do blah blah before sending it back for you to reopen by doing blah blah.

This is one of the things Reason got right in their new upgrade. I can now send a file with all the sounds used in it attached, so if you got Reason 5, but don't have sounds I do, you can still open my file.

FL got it with .rar files a while ago, but you still need the same plugs the user sending the file had.

Compatibility is the game. Once you're in a position where people will compromise their workflow to work with you, things change. Until then, you wanna have what your clients ask for rather than trying to tell them they're wrong and you're right...If those clients pay. I could buy Pro Tools 80 times over with the money i've made using it. I coulda made the same money without, but it would be made by inconveniencing my clients who expect me to use it.

A gym doesn't have to have treadmills, but how would you feel if you went to one and they told you to just run in place or get on an exercise bike?

lol I just had a rapper tell me to get logic or pro tools because studios use it after I told him I use FL.

I know FL got it's weaknesses (like recording audio) but i love it for making beats.

The last people you should listen to from a technical aspect... rappers. I had a rapper tried to talk me down on exclusive pricing because I used software and not real "equipment."

Great points fellas.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

The last people you should listen to from a technical aspect... rappers. I had a rapper tried to talk me down on exclusive pricing because I used software and not real "equipment."
I remember a time when rappers stayed behind the mic.
Music Production has become to mainstream they feel compelled
to tell you how to do your job.:mad:

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

You want to have Pro Tools running if you work with clients who regularly use it. That's not to say it needs to be your main program, but you want compatibility to make it comfortable for people spending money with you.

It's easier to say "Yes, I use Pro Tools" than to say "No, but if you do blah blah before sending the file, I can mix it in Pro Tools and do blah blah before sending it back for you to reopen by doing blah blah.

This is one of the things Reason got right in their new upgrade. I can now send a file with all the sounds used in it attached, so if you got Reason 5, but don't have sounds I do, you can still open my file.

FL got it with .rar files a while ago, but you still need the same plugs the user sending the file had.

Compatibility is the game. Once you're in a position where people will compromise their workflow to work with you, things change. Until then, you wanna have what your clients ask for rather than trying to tell them they're wrong and you're right...If those clients pay. I could buy Pro Tools 80 times over with the money i've made using it. I coulda made the same money without, but it would be made by inconveniencing my clients who expect me to use it.

A gym doesn't have to have treadmills, but how would you feel if you went to one and they told you to just run in place or get on an exercise bike?

So sending or importing wav. files isn't a option for you?

Not worth inconveniencing a client.

It's a workaround when one isn't needed if you got Pro Tools.

The treadmill analogy was accurate. An exercise bike or elliptical works the same muscles/cardio/ect, but it's still not the treadmill your client may want.

Folk forget the foundation of successful business is conveniencing the customer.

Not applicable if you don't have clients, or majority of the clients you got are not using Pro Tools.

Last edited:
Not worth inconveniencing a client.

It's a workaround when one isn't needed if you got Pro Tools.

The treadmill analogy was accurate. An exercise bike or elliptical works the same muscles/cardio/ect, but it's still not the treadmill your client may want.

Folk forget the foundation of successful business is conveniencing the customer.

Not applicable if you don't have clients, or majority of the clients you got are not using Pro Tools.
Word - 7 char

To be honest though deranged I don't like working with clients that don't understand you don't have to use pro tools to get pro results. I have turned down clients with that mentality. They're usually (from my experience) harder to work with and usually have unrealistic expectations or demands. It makes my life a lot easier! :cheers:

To be honest though deranged I don't like working with clients that don't understand you don't have to use pro tools to get pro results. I have turned down clients with that mentality. They're usually (from my experience) harder to work with and usually have unrealistic expectations or demands. It makes my life a lot easier! :cheers:

Wow. Great point of view. Thanks for contributing.

Because I get knocked for what I use, I have tried other DAWs, including Pro Tools. I have to use Pro Tools sometimes at school for my job, but that is about it for the time being. It's good, but for some reason it just doesn't suit me.

I like Pro Tools but yeah I never bought it or got into that whole you need Pro Tools hype. I am using Record 1.5 and will tell anyone who does not like my recordings because of that to kiss my ass

I like Pro Tools but yeah I never bought it or got into that whole you need Pro Tools hype. I am using Record 1.5 and will tell anyone who does not like my recordings because of that to kiss my ass

I feel like a lot more people need to be like this to stop these DAW debates because what's good for one person isn't good for another.

i use pro tools 8 , because it was reported that is was very similar to logic . now, why ? well, i use a pc (don't have time to learn mac + i have MCTS ) , also , i never liked the way pro tools looked in the past , but PT8 was looking better ,plus as i said it was reported that it was like logic (started with magix 5 , then logic 4.7 onto logic 5.5 ) . now, i must say ...is it like logic ....yes it is very close . i like it a lot , yes there is a few things that need to be fixed , but i don't hate ...i find way's to work with it , just like people did with the sp-1200

I use it and not just for the "industry standard" tag. it's because it's got nice quantize presets, works on PC and Mac, rarely crashes, and PT 8 has some of the best stock sounds FOR ME out of all the DAWs including Logic (which we also have). Xpand2! is sick if you mess with the layering and arps. I also love the Mini grand and vacuum. Plus you can always buy the VST and AU converters so you have access to a even more plugins...as for the "industry standard" reason, it definitely is NOT rubbish as Deranged has pointed out. I honestly dont know of any major studios that DONT have Protools LOL. furthermore, it's extremely convenient to have your entire session available for you to add/change instrument patches, midi, and FX settings and send back for further work via email or FTP. I did this with a dance album that was done in NYC and down here in MD. Logic can also do that if you click on the proper settings when you create a project but I know very few people in this area that even have logic, especially singers/songwriters.

Back