What Makes Pro Tools So Special?

Magical_

Could someone explain to me what makes this DAW so special? I understand that Pro Tools was the first to have things like 48khz audio sampling (or something similar to that) and its the first one to be installed in major studios, but apart from that, why is it so popular? is it because of the "appeal" due to Avid marketing? *use the same tools the pro's use!!* giving it's users some satisfaction, that indeed, this software is the "best" or else experts such (GRAMMY NOMINATED PRODUCER / MIXER / ENGINEER) wouldn't have used it?

This might've been a social phenomenon, people assign greater worth to things if proved successful to other person. In social psychology, this is referred to as "social conformity" where humans will follow others in order to limit a risk factor in their own investment, if someone else has a good experience doing something, another person is more likely to follow suit, because if witnessed another's success, said thing becomes less mysterious and less risky. this is why everyone is afraid of doing something alone, and doing something original, there is greater risk.

Probably went a little too deep with this.. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

[VST/RTAS/AU] regular daws like fl studio/studio one.

[RE/AAX/EXE] Proprietary daws. [like reason/revoice/protools/caustic]

Use what you like, I'm a reason nut.
Protools is however the only daw that doesn't use clips for midi, the timeline being the piano roll itself.

Is just the # 1 industry standard DAW but it does have good quality and 64bit process but use whatever gets the job done, def has a lot of marketing behind it and some great features. All in the mix and quality.

As previously stated it's just the number 1 industry standard DAW. I think it's the quality of the recordings and how much easier it is to mix within Pro Tools. For example I find it a lot easier to bus and use parallel effects in Pro Tools rather than any other DAW. I make music in Ableton but always go to Pro Tools for recording or mixing the tracks. But there's nothing special about it any other DAW can get the job done it's just more about what you feel your better at using.

Whatever floats their boat. I think it's easier to mix in reason, studio one, or fl studio over protools but of course this is bias.

My experience has been the opposite (Pro Tools = Not So Great). But back in the day (not sure about now), there were different "levels" of the program. The premium version, which cost an astronomical amount of money, came with a better interface/AD converters and all of the insane plugs (drum replacement software, for example). The one that most home studio owners got was the lowest level software with an MBox. I have no idea how it is marketed nowadays; I lost interest long ago.

Any decent DAW today, IMHO, has whatever you need if you are going to record "in the box."
Pro Tools got in at the ground floor, edging out better digital platforms like RADAR, and now they are the "industry standard." But remember, it's the same industry that said NS10's were good speakers, so...

Imo when it comes to mixing, mastering, and recording, Pro Tools wins hands down. Everything is just conveniently placed, the tools save a shit ton of time, and the workflow of the mixer is just a thing of beauty. As far as producing and actually throwing down some midi in there, idk if I would actually ever do that lol

Well being formally trained in Pro Tools due to going to college for music industry arts I've tried some others and they just don't compare to what I can do in fixing up a shitty singer who's off tune or any other mixing or mastering stuff.... I think once you learn it to it's full capacity ..(which takes a long time) you won't want anything else. it is a time saver and creates that professional product at the end.

The whole Pro Tools and Apple halo effect comes from the fact that big studios tend to use powerful DSP hardware to do all the heavy lifting for the computer, funny thing is people opt for the same brands when it comes to native processing which is a whole different ballgame.....all they see is the brands and so they buy under powered Macs and shitty native versions of Pro Tools.

Pro Tools has always been the Industry Standard, I will admit that not every experienced producer believes in using it but I believe it is because their experienced to the point where they can make projects that sound better than Pro Tools Projects with what they have & know.

Its used alot in conjuntion with hardware in big studios mainly for its audio editing and nice mixer. Used alot in recording live instruments. I personally don't think its all that great unless you use it strictly for mixing and mastering

First post says, "social phenomenon" - totally agree. Pro Tools - too expensive, too resource hungry, 64-bit does not mean you get "quality". At first, you get CPU hog. Is 32-bit processing not enough? Who can hear the difference.
Tried to use MIDI by myself, use virtual instruments, it was very hard to write parts plus keyboard shortcuts were strange. Though I admit I had learning problems. It may be good for audio edit. I would run 2 instances of Kontakt in a DAW but in Pro Tools even 1 instance caused overload.

Some user was so impressed he finally got Logic Pro. "The sound is so fat! Finally!" - something like that:hmmm:
this social conformity works indeed. Aw, whatever

I think pro-tools is out of date and pretty much running on it's own momentum. I'm sure it's a solid DAW, but there's really no justification for it's price tag other than the fact that everyone thinks it's 'industry standard'

Pro Tool is a great tool used for multitrack editing. It is believed to be no other DAW can match the fast and powerful multitrack manipulation of this software and is made with strong support as it can take an extra mile. As what I have noticed, most audio engineers are using Pro Tool to be the top choice of their DAW selection not just because of its lightning-fast capability but because it offers more advantages over other kind.

Back