What do you think of the NEW sounds in Reason 5?

World Wide

I use (and love) Reason, but I Rewire into Ableton Live and use it strictly for the sounds. I am currently on version 4.

So what I want to know is, what do you think of JUST THE NEW sounds in Reason 5. Are the new patches alone worth $130 to upgrade?

I don't care about the sequencer, blocks, live sampling, or Dr OctoRex at all. I only slight care about Kong, considering Live has the incredibly great Drum Racks. So all I would be upgrading for are the new sounds.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added 10-28-2010 at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-27-2010 at 04:30 PM ----------

No one? Damn, I guess they suck then. I guess i'm skipping this update

Kongs drums are great you kinda gotta give people more than 2 hours to reply to your topic or even do a search on it people have been praising Kong drums since the release.

The sounds are alright.. Are you talking about the synth patches??

I mean, nothing that you wouldn't be able to make yourself..

I'm more stoked on the live recording and how much easier they made it to save and transfer project files, making collaborations much easier.

Kong is a beast and octorex is nice but there are no new patches in it. The ability to record into it is a nice upgrade too.

Kongs drums are great you kinda gotta give people more than 2 hours to reply to your topic or even do a search on it people have been praising Kong drums since the release.

The 2nd post was from 2 hours ago... the original was from over 24 hours ago and the thread had about 40 views at the time.

So only the drum sounds are new?

Cuz props said:
"The Expanded Factory Sound Bank, doubling in size"

http://www.propellerheads.se/press/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_press_release&prID=101

Those cant all just be drums can they?

Kong is a beast and octorex is nice but there are no new patches in it. The ability to record into it is a nice upgrade too.

there actually are new rex patches. look carefully. kongs drums are on point in my opinion are far as synths. nothing new but there will tons of new patches coming due to the combinator update.

Smh @ that lie

the expanded libraby that every file has been upgraded 24 bit sounds but it seems that you still haven't read that yet or figured it out have you.
read brother
Reason’s sound bank more than doubles in size, thanks in large part to signature contributors: Printz Board, Bomb Squad, Jason McGerr, Sharooz, Adam Beyer, Keith LeBlanc, Cari Lekebusch & others
---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

what combinator update???

there has been 4 cv inputs added to the combintor with is really useful for sound design with combinator patches. lol.

Last edited:
I use (and love) Reason, but I Rewire into Ableton Live and use it strictly for the sounds. I am currently on version 4.

So what I want to know is, what do you think of JUST THE NEW sounds in Reason 5. Are the new patches alone worth $130 to upgrade?

I don't care about the sequencer, blocks, live sampling, or Dr OctoRex at all. I only slight care about Kong, considering Live has the incredibly great Drum Racks. So all I would be upgrading for are the new sounds.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added 10-28-2010 at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-27-2010 at 04:30 PM ----------

No one? Damn, I guess they suck then. I guess i'm skipping this update

The Reason 5 update is mainly new Kong Drum sounds.

Were the older factory drum sounds were more lo-fi sounding, the newer drums are more hi-fi sounding. There are a whole lot of new drum sounds. This upgrade puts Reason more on the line with something like NI Battery (although there isn't much realistic new kits, most new kits are either Rap or Electronic type drums).

There are new Rex loops (but IMO not as extensive as what you would get with something like Garageband).

Really no changes in the synths or instrument samples.

If you already have an extensive drum library, the new sounds will be more of a yawn.

The only new features that really grabbed my attention are Blocks and Tap Tempo and Neptune (for Record).

Even though Live Block triggering isn't in quantized time, it is a highly useful feature for composing.

Dr. Octo Rex is cool if I use a lot of loops (I don't and Recycle should be integrated).
Sampling is ok. (Editor could be better. Recycle should be integrated)
Kong is while nice still lacking in certain areas (Sequencing should have been more of an emphasis when a drum editor is designed. Certain Effects like Delays and Compressors lack certain metering or realistic time units to make sound design more easier).

there are a shit load of kong patches

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

The 2nd post was from 2 hours ago... the original was from over 24 hours ago and the thread had about 40 views at the time.

So only the drum sounds are new?

Cuz props said:
"The Expanded Factory Sound Bank, doubling in size"

http://www.propellerheads.se/press/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_press_release&prID=101

Those cant all just be drums can they?
the Factory Sound Bank is bigger double idk but the drum sounds for kong are 24 bit

the whole workflow of reason 5 is crushing all the previous reasons
you be suprised how good the workflow is with blocks mode midi and time stretch.

don't forget Kong creates all new ways to MAKE YOUR OWN drum sounds....

synth drums and physical drums

unreal update as far as sounds go

the expanded libraby that every file has been upgraded 24 bit sounds but it seems that you still haven't read that yet or figured it out have you.
read brother
Reason’s sound bank more than doubles in size, thanks in large part to signature contributors: Printz Board, Bomb Squad, Jason McGerr, Sharooz, Adam Beyer, Keith LeBlanc, Cari Lekebusch & others
---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

there has been 4 cv inputs added to the combintor with is really useful for sound design with combinator patches. lol.
Why read when I can load the program up ,its not doubled in size I checked.....thats desperate marketing on their part....and here you go again defending this software even in the face of facts....smh

yeah i don't think people realize how powerful kong is.
exactly most people see it and say oh its a knock off mpc but it does a lot more than that. It really is a drum design tool. You design them however you want with Rex files or with syntesis or with samples its crazy powerful. Plus the fx onboard. I love Kong

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Why read when I can load the program up ,its not doubled in size I checked.....thats desperate marketing on their part....and here you go again defending this software even in the face of facts....smh
when you think of double the size do u think double the patches? when i see it i see the drum files are 24 bit u add enough of those with the new fx and i can see how the refill itself could be double the size

Reason 5 has an expansive library from 4. Alot of it is due to the new 24bit mixing environment.

I will say that if I had bought Reason 5 as my 1st reason purchase, I'd have no use for majority of the Refills I own. The patches are now up to par with any other bread/butter workstation or vsti.

But IMO the jump wasn't as big because of "new patches"(they do exist, but they're mixed in), but because of how the overall sound of everything now blends better.

But I gotta agree "double the size" is clever advertising. That's not to say it wasn't a true statement, lol.

Last edited:
hmm i may reinstall Reason 4 just for the fun of it to see this difference in the factory bank sounds. In all the years I have had Reason (since December 2002) I have never really gone too deep into the FSB I bought the sonic gold refills and ran with them

Back