What do i need to be a trance producer?

D

Digi

Sup future producers!
Hi am new to this board, so hope u guys can help me out here. I am thinking about producing music using only my computer, so am just wondering what kinds of softwares do i need to have to become a trance producer. I know that Cubase, Reason and Fruity loop are all good, but do i need to have all those softwares inorder to produce complete songs? or do i just need one of them? Can u guys suggest what i need and what I should purchase to get started on producing my own tracks. The only piece of hardware that i will probably purchase is a keyboard, so can u guys suggest me what kind of keyboards I should get? Also i want to get a Dj mixer software, so what should i get? I hear good stuff about Tracktor and PCDJ Red, but I dont know which one to get. I wanted a PCDJ Red, but the thing is that theres no EQ's on that interface, Will i be ok without it? Sorry for asking so much questions. I would greatly appreciate anyone for answering me. Thanks alot...

I would start out with Fuity Loops as far as production, its pretty much an all in one package and it will get you making noise in no time. there is room to grow later in to more complicated software later, but right now it would just bog you down.

I would wait on the keyboard idea till you get your feet under you with fuity loops.

As far as Dj software goes, a buddy of mine has Tracktor, and it is really fun. I only played with it for a couple of minutes so I can't really give you any details, but he has been using it for a month or so and he sems to enjoy it.

Thanks for ur reply Funtekk! Does anyone else have anymore suggestions?

I use cubase 5 and rebirth presently for the work i do....cubase's wave editor is deplorable.....i never touch it and prefer to use SoundEdit (mac only) to edit all my waveforms......reason is a solid all in one package, but it is more geared towards creating the music from "scratch" than fuityloops....

your best bet is probably fruityloops if you've never worked with audio before....however, if you are familar with gear, signal flow, and composition, you might be better served with cubase and or reason.....defifnitely hold off on the keyboard for now...it's not worth ituntil you get your feet wet and sortout the initial headaches of using a computer for it all...

if you do indeed end up really enjoying it, compare the features and power of Cubase and Logic (and their assorted versions) before you buy either....neither are cheap in their full blown packages, but they both offer a lot of power....because you are looking at trance, you probably won't want protools....it's midi support is horrible, but it's audio power is supurb...but if you can't sequence who cares how great the audio editing power is?

the nice part about cubase for me is it's interface (i'm worried that the upcoming sx version is going to remove this aspect, but at this point i am familiar with cubase that a change in the interface isnt' a big deal) as it looks just like real gear, something i am very familar with....

i'll warn you now though....there is a chance that you will hate yourself for buying fruity loops initially and knowing that money could have been better applied towards a different package...but if you hate doing it, the cost of fruity loops isn't hard to swallow.

good luck!

Thank mosquito!

Yeah i have some knowlegde on sequences, waves and all that stuff, and i am ready for some production. Yes i want to create my music from scratch, so am i just better off with full packaged programs like Cubase, Reason and or Logic? I know that these are all the familiar pro used softwares. They all require some time and patience to get familiar to, and yes i am willing to dedicate my time on the growing hobby that i want to get into. So which one should i get? which one has superior sound quaility and easy to learn interface? All the gears i needed would be in these packages right? thanks again...

I htink you should buy REASON. It is a very nice all-in-one package. No headache to set it up and start producing quality tracks. It has buiolt in mixer, effects, sequencer, sampler, synthesizer, etc.

You cant go wrong with it.

I dont use it for my music, mainly because I work differently (CUbase + soundcard with DSPs + hardware synths) but if you are starting, it is to my eyes the best

Sup future producers!
Hi am new to this board, so hope u guys can help me out here. I am thinking about producing music using only my computer, so am just wondering what kinds of softwares do i need to have to become a trance producer. I know that Cubase, Reason and Fruity loop are all good, but do i need to have all those softwares inorder to produce complete songs? or do i just need one of them? Can u guys suggest what i need and what I should purchase to get started on producing my own tracks. The only piece of hardware that i will probably purchase is a keyboard, so can u guys suggest me what kind of keyboards I should get? Also i want to get a Dj mixer software, so what should i get? I hear good stuff about Tracktor and PCDJ Red, but I dont know which one to get. I wanted a PCDJ Red, but the thing is that theres no EQ's on that interface, Will i be ok without it? Sorry for asking so much questions. I would greatly appreciate anyone for answering me. Thanks alot...

1) Talent, and know how to learn from your mistakes
2) Good Software/Hardware - I really suggest Fruity Loops or as mano 1 said reason

Fruity Loops - Really great software made for making all kinds of music from trance to even drum & bass. Also go to fruityloops.com and look up Fruity Loops 3.5 this is really great you get the TS 404 + Presets, Synths, Drum Synth, Soundfont Player, Even a lil speech thing you can mess around with :D

Reason - This is another option for a trance producer, T r a n c e [] c o n t r o l uses it and one of my good friends do to. And from what I've heard from these guys is great

but if your not satisfied with these then I have to say

ACID 3.0 - another great peice of software that was made for a beginner in the music business. Only problem is that you have to search around the net for hours to get the right samples you want

And Last but not least you need Determination knowing you can become one of the greats such as Ferry Corsten and Mauro Picotto

Peace & Love
DjTux
:cheers: http://www.mp3.com/djtux :cheers:

I agree with Mano on this one. Definitely go with Reason. Not only is it an all-in-one package, with sequencers, samplers, synths, effects, and mixers, but the interface is designed so that you'll start to learn your way around hardware gear as well, like how to wire things properly etc... That way, if you ever decide to take the plunge into external gear, it won't seem as foreign to you. (I read in Sound on Sound magazine a few months ago that some college in the US is actually using Reason to teach electronics or something because of it's interface and wiring abilities!) It may be a bit of a steep learning curve at the start, but it won't last long, and it'll be worth it!

I'd go with Fruityloops since you're just starting out. Then you need a wave editor like Sound Forge for editing and mastering. Also I'd get a real synth so you'll learn to play at the same over the years and it's much more fun to perform live one day when you know how to actually play your tracks. :)

CZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I have worked on the past with Cakewalk Sonar, Ejay, FL Studio, and i have flirted with reason and Ablt-Live. So, i would be missing Logic Pro before saying that Cubase is the best for me. I am on the way to become a trance producer too. I must admit that the most sequencer i love is FL, as everyone know, it's editors are really lovely, u get a sound in secs!! you get a loop in minutes, and u get a track in a few hours!!! But there is something about that, and i think it has happened to a lot of FL users: FL is not for PRO producers, ok, ok, ok right, u can achieve PRO sounds, but i find(in my own opinion) that the way to pro in FL is longer than in a tool like CUBASE(or CakeWalk Sonar,etc.). If you are a beginer, but you know u are going to put all from yourself in production, don't miss time with FL. U know what happen to get used users to FL? R/ they can't leave it!!! so they get stock!! Get the best right there if u are serious about production. At first glance it will be difficult, FL will be easiest!! My point is this: If u don't know anything about music, and to get something u have to try all the posibilities to get a 2 bar harmony, GET FL, and welcome to the FL Addict Slaves Club, u just can't leave it!! If u want instant tracks, but no pro, get FL, if u want thousands of Tutorial for beginers, go and get FL. If u want hard work but PRO Results, go and get Cubase! mmm... I don't like reason coz it has no VST Support!! IF U think u don't need VSTs, get Reason. If u want something in the middle, get Sonar! If u want Full support VST, full MIDI suuport, Audio wave editor(some don't like it, i do like ;)-), Get cubase. And if u decide for cubase, add me to your contact list, i am on the way of learning and i would love to share with Another tRANCE Cubase producers!! cheers!! msn:uskiano@hotmail.com
:victory:

This thread was from seven years ago, you know...

Edit: And it seems the whole idea of the post is to talk down on FL Studio. First post... Hmm... I guess there's no way you're a troll ;)...

Last edited:
haha what a post to dig up a 7yr old thread :D

anyway for people who still want advice, the previous mentioned DAW's will do the trick. just decide what works best for you by trying out the demos. if you need vsts look into into nexus, sylenth, vanguard, z3ta etc.
most trance producers use the vengeance packs for percussion nowadays and also the vipzone stuff. check out the links below

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/
http://www.vipzone-samples.com/

If you want to do music from scratch, I would recommend Reason. It has great synths (especially Thor) and will help you learn about synthesis. I have made some pretty kickass dance/rock stuff using Reason alone, although lately I've been rewiring into Logic Studio (oh man does that open up possibilities). As everyone else said, learning Reason will als teach you about rigging up hardware and how to manage your signal flow. You can also get recycle to chop up loops that you iike and play with them that way. Reason is great fun to use, and the workflow is really smooth. It's definitely one of the best sequencer out there. FL tudio is also a good choice, but i prefer Reason. Demo them both and see which one suits you.

Last edited:
The idea was just to show the beginers in sequencers my opinion. 7 years thread!! hahhahaa.... you are right i am damn troll!! anayway, i know some new people will read it and will have new opinions about the DAW. When this thread began, i think i didn't even know what was a sequencer, lol.

Hi Digi!

Hi Digi!

I gotta say that i agree that FL studio is the best and easyest way to learn how to produce music.
first try to learn the key commands[shortcuts]. then how to make a simple 4x4 beat, up beat, down beat and such thing.. then go buy a good synth or other instruments you wanna work with, and exoand your knowledge about FL & music making : )

damn this post is old as hell..

Still, reason or FL!!! I'd say fl, but not by much.. they both good shyt!

remove anything "Soul", "Funk", or "Groove" related from your entire being and you've taken the first step to being a "good" Trance producer.

dammit... didn't see how old this thread is...

Last edited:
Back