What could replace cool edit pro?

JDB

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum.

Long time ago I was doing a lot of music and recording it with cool edit pro. I stopped playing (moving to an appartment, got a kid etc) but I miss it too much so I got myself a place to jam and record with a laptop and my babyface sound card.
My problem now is that I don't know which software (DAW) to use to record my music. I'm looking for something easy to learn and use (or even feel like if possible) something like cool edit pro but with better sound effects (I remember some of the effects were a bit cheap in cool edit pro) and that is good with midi keynboard too.

Any suggestions ?

Please don't tell me Ableron Live. I got it with my midi keyboard and really gave it a good try, following the tutorials etc. I just don't like the interface.

I got Sonar LE (4) with my sound card 3-4 years ago but didn't try it yet, when I got it I saw was from cakewalk and i used the first version of cakewalk long time ago and wasn't impressed so i didn't touched it. I saw this week a video in YouTube and it seems not too bad, maybe I will give it a try.

I might have an old version of Cubase somewhere too (version 5). My friend is using the new Cubase and told me it's the best with midi. I almost bought it but I saw there was only things for midi in there artist version and it was a bit expensive. Is it worth it ?

Any other suggestions ? (Reaper? Logic? )

I used Fruity Look as a drum machine and wouldn't want it to record other things. I'm not doing electronic music, I'm doing black metal.

My laptop is not a Mac, it has windows 7 pro. It's a i5 with 8 gigs of ram.
My Midi keyboard is a M-AUDIO Axiom 61
It's to record guitar, bass, vocal and midi keyboards.

Thank you in advance for your help!
JD

Last edited:
Hello again,
I just installed my Sonar LE and I'm alrady disapointed... First it said I can only install it on one computer, I need to install my program on my PC too which is much more powerfull and would work much better for the mixing and adding effects etc. Second, I guess my CD is too old I cannot even register it online hahaha.

So at this point I guess I'll have no choice to buy a new one so back to square one, which one... :S

Cool Edit Pro was eventually bought by Adobe and is nowadays Adobe Audition. I didn't really ever use CEP that much and haven't used Audition, so don't know how much of the "heritage" remains.

All the big DAWs are gonna have quite a bit of a learning curve. Reaper might be worth a try as the demo is unlimited - and well, the software is good. You don't have to commit before you know whether you like it or not.

Thank you Krushing,
I followed tour advice, i installed reaper on both my desktop and laptop.
I also installed Sonar LE on my laptop and wrote to Cakewalk to try to get it registered. And I already had Cubase 5 with some plugins on my PC.

I'll try them and have a better idea where I want to spend my money after (either buy the reaper or upgrade one of the other two programs to an up to date version).

It's great to have a forum like this where you can get great advice from people who are more knowledgeable than you. It's quite confusing to determine what software is the right one.

And I can't wait to record great songs :)

Isn't Adobe Audition 3.0 freeware now?
I got it for free directly off the Adobe website. Maybe they still offer it?
It's an excellent upgrade from CEP.
Yes it's old, but still useful, and the audio editing capabilities are still impressive.

Back