What The Best VSTi

DJ_ARCH

ive got a lot of VSTi's and im just tired of the same ol sounds. i havnt made a beat in about 2 months because im tired of the sounds i have.

what do u guys think is a good one i should get. or should i just learn sound design?

heres what i have right now
hypersonic 2
cakewalk demension pro
albino 3
z3ta
xphraze
fm8
luxonix purity
kontakt kore 2 (but it keeps crashing on me)

any help would be appreciated

WhiteKidsLoveHipHop said:
You've got plenty.

If you really need more, the devices in Reason work well.

ive tried reason and i cant really get down with it. theres to much stuff u need to know, lol

Or one knob at a time - learn how your stuff works and you'll get practically unlimited sounds out of them.

krushing said:
Or one knob at a time - learn how your stuff work and you'll get practically unlimited sounds out of them.

ok, so how would i go about doing that, learning to program and design my own sounds that is

^ Yep.

Samplecraze's tutorial section offers a good selection of basic stuff - sound design wise the sampling and synthesis tutorials are especially valuable. Sound On Sound's Synth Secrets series is great also, but generally a bit more advanced (meaning mostly that they expect you to know at least the terminology used) and specialized into certain sounds.

Change your style and innstruments you tend to use a lil bit. Learn a lil' about synthesis so you can twist your sounds.

Check out:

Vanguard
Sylenth1
Atmosphere
Trilogy
Korg Legacy
Editrol Ochestral

just to namre a few.

There loads of vstz out there.

I'd get more synths and more soundbanks too. There are people who are skilled and talented at sound design, do you think you'll design patches better than them? maybe so, but I'd rather crank out tracks with well designed sounds by people who have been at it for years.

I have several go to synths that aren't on your list there and I'd feel pretty limited with that setup. The synths and sounds you get are going to play a part in your sound and you don't want to limit that. I get some of my best sounds from FM7 and several sound banks people have made for it (adam van baker ,papen, etc.) z3ta+ with a handful of additional banks. Sonik Synth 2 and Sampletank and the various sonic capsule add on sets. V station and additional banks. Korg Legacycell, etc. Without those soundsets, I'm limited and my productivity will be too.

For me, the longer I do this the more I get familiar with what I have, what plugins I have and what sounds, and each offer something different. Like I need a certain kind of lead, I know what bank in FM7 has it. If I need a little synth blip I got it in a Vstation bank, I need guitar it's in a sonic capsule or SS or ST, maybe hypersonic.

Oh and BTW I have an old Jimmy Jam interview where he said the same thing about sound design and he also said the most important thing in buying a synth is that the sounds on it inspire him. If you're bored with your arsenal maybe it's time to expand.

First determine what you think you're lacking, what sounds you want but don't have and find out where you can get those.

krushing said:
Or one knob at a time - learn how your stuff works and you'll get practically unlimited sounds out of them.

Krusing brings up a dayum good point! If you're that bored of all those sounds you have, it's time to make your own DJ! I like that..."One knob at a time".

PianoReeves said:
I'd get more synths and more soundbanks too. There are people who are skilled and talented at sound design, do you think you'll design patches better than them? maybe so, but I'd rather crank out tracks with well designed sounds by people who have been at it for years.

I have several go to synths that aren't on your list there and I'd feel pretty limited with that setup. The synths and sounds you get are going to play a part in your sound and you don't want to limit that. I get some of my best sounds from FM7 and several sound banks people have made for it (adam van baker ,papen, etc.) z3ta+ with a handful of additional banks. Sonik Synth 2 and Sampletank and the various sonic capsule add on sets. V station and additional banks. Korg Legacycell, etc. Without those soundsets, I'm limited and my productivity will be too.

For me, the longer I do this the more I get familiar with what I have, what plugins I have and what sounds, and each offer something different. Like I need a certain kind of lead, I know what bank in FM7 has it. If I need a little synth blip I got it in a Vstation bank, I need guitar it's in a sonic capsule or SS or ST, maybe hypersonic.

Oh and BTW I have an old Jimmy Jam interview where he said the same thing about sound design and he also said the most important thing in buying a synth is that the sounds on it inspire him. If you're bored with your arsenal maybe it's time to expand.

First determine what you think you're lacking, what sounds you want but don't have and find out where you can get those.

Good Point. However, with that said knowing how to tweak does help when you got that sound in your head but can't find it. If you know what you looking for, you can just tweak a similar sound till it sounds the way you hear it in your head. It saves money and a lot of time checking through and buying libraries.This way you potential for sounds has a slightly more exponatial gradient/curve. I mean what if the sound you looking for has never been made lol? You best option is to look for somethign taht souds similar and making sound as close as possible to what you looking for.

ok...this is what DJ has in VSTs

heres what i have right now
hypersonic 2
cakewalk demension pro
albino 3
z3ta
xphraze
fm8
luxonix purity
kontakt kore 2 (but it keeps crashing on me)

Some people may have more. But, that's hella sh**. But, in addition to this list.

Kore 2 and Hypersonic are very "tweak friendly"!

Another point...

Musicians are spoiled these days with all these keyboards and computers. Some fokes only had the piano or guitar and they managed not to get tired of hearing those sounds!

On the other hand. If there is a certain sound that is missing in your library. That's different. But DJ has a lot of good sh** there!

My Library(when I can afford it) will consist of

IK total workstation
Kore 2
Kontakt 3
Trilogy

That will last me...

SmooveMode said:
ok...this is what DJ has in VSTs

Kore 2 and Hypersonic are very "tweak friendly"!

ive used kore 2 and im pretty sure i could make all the beast i want off that alone. but when i load it in FL it will work for about 5 min then crash. i never used to have this problem. i think it may have to do with my ram. i have 1 gig

DJ_ARCH said:
ive used kore 2 and im pretty sure i could make all the beast i want off that alone. but when i load it in FL it will work for about 5 min then crash. i never used to have this problem. i think it may have to do with my ram. i have 1 gig
DJ! I agree with you in reference to Kore 2's capabilties. Can you tell me more about your computer system? Let's stabilize that system before moving on to other VSTs?

Last edited:
here is a private message smoothmode sent me:

Funk...The reason why I'm seemingly shopping again for software is simple. I purchased cracked copies of the all the software(except reason and Tracktion) that I mentioned on the forum. This is not something I did not feel comfortable out loud.

I don't regret it at all because the time and the limitation the demos have would not allow me to truly learn the software enough to make a clear decision. Most of this software I would have been very disappointed with and at 300-400 a pop, you can understand why I made that move.

I also wanted to make sure that making another run at this music writing thing was for me. Well it is. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and whether my Jams suck or not, I'm proud of the work I put in.

Now I want to get full licensed copies of the software, since I now know what I want and I know that I'm down with this music writing thing.

The money I spent on the cracked copies(maybe 150.00) was well worth it because it allowed me to continue to make music and allow me to avoid making very expensive wrong purchases.

now u know.

Peace.

:hello:

SmooveMode said:
I don't get it. What makes Kontakt better for drums? I like Battery 3 way better! Unless I missed something Kontakt 3 does not allow you to manage cells like you can in Battery. Kontakt 3 is not hard to learn. But, it's bulky(to me) and for songwriting it gets in the way of my workflow. I even bought Kore 2 just to manage Kontakt 3. All those damn sounds and so little time! LOL

I'm not a tweaker(yet). So that extra power of Kontakt 3 is going to waste.

Songwriters, I would take a close look at Kore 2. Presets are easy to find and you get organize the library in a way that allows you to find what you need quickly.

Sampletank it for pros too! I believe I will get no argument in saying that sampletank 2XL is easier to manage than Kontakt 3. What sort of acoustic instruments are you looking for?

SmooveMode said:
You know something Trusty, I was going to argue the dimension thing. But I can't! :rolleyes:. I remember many time when I was looking for a sound fast and without fuss I naturally went to dimension. It's so easy to load presets in and it does not take nearly as long to load as Kontakt 3 does. The sounds are clearly marked and easy to find. In Kontakt 3(unless I'm doing something wrong) you have to stroll through the file system pick the folder, then pick the sound and then pick the preset just to load somethin'. By then I forgot what I was loading it for! LOL:p

The only other plugin(i'm sure there's more) that comes to my mind is Hypersonic 2. It's pretty easy as well. But, they don't make it anymore and I believe Dimension's sounds are more realistic. Not necessariy better but a little more real.

SmooveMode said:
I just bought a fully licensed copy of sampletank. I read some things about the stretch feature. It seems cool, but I would like to know from someone who has been using it, if that feature really works and do you hear the difference between another plugin samplers?

:D

Back