What is the best DAW?

Try out different DAWs. What works for me might not work for you!

I started out with Pro 12 on an Atari in 1989 then switched to Cubase in 1991. Moved to Emagic Logic Audio in 1997 then dabbled and explored Pro Tools LE and Reason around 2003. In 2012 I had to learn Ableton for a big project. I still dip in and out of Ableton, Pro Tools and Reason from time to time but have found Logic Pro to be my favourite by far for what I do which is essentially composing music and recording vocals and instruments. I can mix but find it quite a chore so I get my mixes done by others who enjoy that part of the process far more than myself. Having said ALL of that, I think Ableton is the most ingenious DAW out there. I seldom use it these day due to Logic Pro being like my comfy shoes but if I was to start all over again knowing what I know now, chances I'd be an Ableton guy.
As you can see I didn't mention FL simply because guys from my era (myself included) still have a sense of snobbery about that platform, despite the fact that it is kicking some serious... nowadays. My advice, try different DAWs out and see what flows best for you. Remember if you are serious about this business you will be spending much of your life working with your DAW so take the time to experiment. Good luck.

Back