Wais in Fl Studio...Thats Crazy!

You can get the same mix in FL that you can get in any other program assuming the same tools...are you sure your friend didn't have better monitors?

I tried mixing in FL and it's almost like the EQ is lying to me in FL. I made a song with a friend of mines protools/reason setup and the mix came out retardedly good and I had to tweak things very little.

ever heard of the placebo effect?

How is that possible? Surely, thats not right. Unless you are just saying the built-in EQ tools in Reason/ProTools are better than the ones in FL studio? (i.e. the algorithms behind them are better).

I'm sorry fam yeah I was exaggerating it's just like if I roll of the lows or wanna cut out that 200hz or w/e it feels right in PT/Reason..(also logic) with the STOCK eq plugins. in FL it seems like no matter what I do it turns out muddy.. I'm sure other things i'm doing factor into this.. but it just was much easier for me to get a good mix outta of something else besides FL(STOCK). I feel like i rather just switch daws instead of needing to outsource everything to plugin ($1,000's of dollars) and use something like logic with a great stock library where i can make some heat and get some sales and have money to actually upgrade my shit.

listen to www.op3beats.com my mixes ain't that fly...

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

ever heard of the placebo effect?
Indeed I have... I know the difference between the programs isn't that drastic... I guess just the idea of "I'm using pro tools/reason" Turned me into a super engineer.. I swear the best mix i ever did... really my best beat to date. I'm usin ghetto tools atm... but i'm stepping my game up soon hopefully the placebo effect keeps going! lol.

How is that possible? Surely, thats not right. Unless you are just saying the built-in EQ tools in Reason/ProTools are better than the ones in FL studio? (i.e. the algorithms behind them are better).

Just saw a FL GURU video not too long ago that explained that the type of interpolation you use for the audio output settings could affect the final bounce (and the settings could be different than those used while composing in the program). So it is possible that the program could "lie" to you while you're working and give you a different exported sound.

Just saw a FL GURU video not too long ago that explained that the type of interpolation you use for the audio output settings could affect the final bounce (and the settings could be different than those used while composing in the program). So it is possible that the program could "lie" to you while you're working and give you a different exported sound.

Yea, the default one is pretty low, i think its like 64 you need to raise it to 512.

mix in somethin other than FL tho trust me

I felt the same way for a long time but eventually I realized it mite be a little more of a pain routing everything to the mixer tracks with midi outs and everything (as apposed to making a new track and a mixer channel pops up already routed for you like in most DAWs) but I felt that I rather do that than track it out and put it into Studio One or somethin and not being able to make composition changes etc.

been on FL since 01... and i have a mpc and fantom, but FL is so user-friendly its quicker to re-play the DOPE ideas heard in ur head... hardware is jus too time consuming, by the time i get my sounds in order im playing a completely different melody

www.twitter.com/iamNEWera

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

mixing in FL studio isnt that bad.. routing is fairly easy and the dynamic and time based effects arent that bad, always gets the job done... check out my soundcloud all these beats were created n mixed in FL: http://soundcloud.com/new-northernlights

^^^It gets pretty annoying when you got midi outs going into multi out plugs and then having to set up the outs to go to the mixer channels. Shits ridicoulous when compared to how Cubase works.

Only drawback of FL to me.

As far as i know sample interpolation has nothing to do with midi sounds comin from vst's. It only affects sample audio data.

It's a normal thing...the output of samples will sound different if your export interpolation setting is set to a different rate than the real-time recording interpolation.

simple shit...it's just many ppl don't realize that.
Don't blame the daw if you don't have any clue about the right audio settings. Just sayin.

Last edited:
^^^It gets pretty annoying when you got midi outs going into multi out plugs and then having to set up the outs to go to the mixer channels. Shits ridicoulous when compared to how Cubase works.

I tend to work that way from start to finish. I have everything routed to it's own outputs from the minute I load up a new instrument or sound. You might try setting up some templates so that some things are already done for you.

that's what templates are for.

^^^I actually set one up already. lol I just am hesitante to use it because the main multi out plugs I use is philharmonik and VI ONE and I may not use one but im not gonna delete during the project because idk if ill use it or not then and I got limited CPU power.

btw, how do you set up a real template? I jus tmade mine a project and I would start by opening that and then "save a new version".

Last edited:
FL Starts default with a wierd panning law on. That's what gives it the "thin"(notice the quotes)sound that people complain about.

If you go thru options, you can turn it off, then it sounds like any other program. With it on, it sounds like any program does once you add a stereo spreading effect to the Master Output.

All songs on my soundclick were either mixed completely in Reason with no outside effects, or completely in FL with nothing else.

Folk can do entire mixes on a Korg Triton or MPC without outside effects, yet producers of today can't utilize the millions of tools in FL, go figure.

i am a die hard FL user...ive been using it for 10+ years now and i have seen how far the thing has come in that time frame...people who havent been exposed to it for that long often times cant appreciate what it is capable of...i sit down w/ guys in the studio that use FL and i always end up showing them things that make them say "damn i didnt know you could do that"...that was always something i liked about FL...the way the program is made there is always something new for you to discover

FL Starts default with a wierd panning law on. That's what gives it the "thin"(notice the quotes)sound that people complain about.

If you go thru options, you can turn it off, then it sounds like any other program. With it on, it sounds like any program does once you add a stereo spreading effect to the Master Output.

i'm curious...which setting to you mean?

anyways i tried flstudio9 for the first time this weekend and all i can say is, dang that program is easy to use, no hate just it seemed very user friendly to me.

LOL people are so insecure. how would it be seen as hating just because a program is easy to use? do we all need to use arcane programs just to feel that we're proper producers?

When you're with the FLO, you're with the FLO 4 LYFE!... j/k but I listened to the songs, they sound pretty good to me.

FL is like the Windows of DAWs... elitists like to think it's rudimentary programming, but you'd be amazed what that pepper can do.

Even the mixing, the first couple years I used FL, I couldn't get over the thought that I was using a toy because of the stock sounds back in the day and the primitive mixer in its earlier versions. But once I put myself on to learning how to incorporate infinite kits and sounds into that thing, yeah...... and once I cracked open that mixer? Whoa...

You gotta know what you're doing, but there're a great many tutorials, too many not to be able to learn. It's too damn easy to put stuff together in FL, it made it possible for me to go a while without keyboarding melodies. That program stops me from finishing alotta tracks cuz I'm too busy starting up new ones.

Back