VSTs on external hard drive

musicman187

Hey i got a big question for everyone here. well to me it is. im tryin to install FL studio on an external hard drive along some vsts. example:nexus. well fl installed fine and i can run it. but the problem is with my vsts. i can pick them up but now an issue is with nexus. i load it up but says it cant locate the "0TestTone.nxs" file. and that i have to do it manually. any suggestions on this???

Why would you want to install music production SOFTWARE on a external hd?

I mean you know this isn't really the best case scenario right?
As you have already seen, you're gonna run into errors sooner or later.

I assume you are the stereotype "fruity loops + nexus 2/vanguard/albino 3 combo" user. Don't you have enough space left on your internal?

How about you install your vst's and other apps on your internal and the sample libraries on a external?

well i guess. i mean i just fixed it, and im running only nexus. i dont really use the other vsts cause i dont know what they are. i use EWQL and z3ta and vsts like those. and if eventually i do then ill figure out the issue. i mean it only makes a problem that can be solved or figured out to find whats causing it.

Def gonna have problems, do what Aykey said, none of it gonna work on another pc anyway, so why would you want to? Unless you've run out of room on ya internal

as far as external harddrives go the best thing is to store the samples of of the vsti on the external harddrive and place the "actual" app on the system drive...

Why would you want to install music production SOFTWARE on a external hd?

I mean you know this isn't really the best case scenario right?
As you have already seen, you're gonna run into errors sooner or later.

I assume you are the stereotype "fruity loops + nexus 2/vanguard/albino 3 combo" user. Don't you have enough space left on your internal?

How about you install your vst's and other apps on your internal and the sample libraries on a external?

Dude, not everybody is as l33t as you. If the guy is happy using those, don't hate. As long as it sounds good, who gives a **** what he uses?

thanks absint. and for all you other posters, well apperantly ive been running this set for the past few months and i must say its way better and easier to manage. if your not lazy and wouldnt mind having to change file directories on occasion then i would recommend it if you have low internal storage. the only issue i have been dealing with is a change in the letter of the drive. and thats due to the computer. and also the occasional failing dll files. but like i said, i dont mind reinstalling on an external device. its way easier to uninstall. just right click the folder and delete. bam! as easy as that. and keep in mind this is just me doin this to free up space on my hard drive. my laptop isnt very powerful. and a full hard drive slows down a system. even if u do run a defrag on it.

Back