* VSTi's and Cubase SX *

[/\][5[)0/\/\

Howdy,

I'm having a really aggrevating issue w/Cubase SX and some of my VSTi's.

Im most likely at fault since I'm new to audio suites. I primarily use Reason 2.0, and ACID Pro 4.0

Here's the problem

I dont think I know how to access VSTi's correctly in Cubase.
I'm using a UC-16, and an OX8 as primary midi devices. I open a 16 Track Midi Sequence, hit F11- select INstrument (FM7 usually) and then I click the little E to activate it, and then I select the VI as the OUT and leave the IN as either Midi Yoke or my Ox8. SOMETIMES it works. I can hear the playback and it recieves the midi messages. However 99.9 % of the time I cannot hear any playback, but the midi messages are still recorded. Now, when I switch to the SW Live Synth, I have no problems w/playback.

The problem is really nerve racking. I have read the manual, got a book from the library, and even read tutorials on the net. Is there anything im doing wrong? At first I thought it was becuase I would use Reason, and then hop into Cubase. I dont know eaxactly. The worst thing about it that I probally wont be able to get a refund on the software since I registered it, and installed it.

Please help...

Yes. Usually FM7.

(FM7 works fine as a standalone)

Any thoughts on what Im doing wrong?

Im beginning to think it's an input/output problem on my part.

I was just now able to hear a VST when I use my mouse and click on the keyboard but my midi controller wasn't working.

I set the

Output to: Jungalist
Input to: In USB (Oxygen 8)

No midi commands were being shown, but I did recieve playback output when using the mouse to click the keyboard.

Can anyone help?

Perhaps a tutorial on midi/vst setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you've got record enabled on the track you're trying to play. Not the global record, the record for the individual track.

With the default settings record will be enabled automatically whenever you select the track by clicking on it, but you can also enable record by clicking the icon with the standard record button symbol in either the mixer or the arrange window.

If that's not it I don't know, maybe some kind of thing with the midi channel that the oxygen is transferring on or something.

Try setting MIDI in to 'All MIDI inputs' instead of a specific input port.

As TheAgent says, i's very important to have recording (or monitoring) enabled for the track, you'll find the 'record enable' and 'monitor' buttons in the inspector and the lane of each track.

Don't worry we'll get there :) no need to get all worked up about refunds ;)

Man, still no results. It's like sometimes I get playback and then I dont at all. Right now, I can't hear anything at all, and when I press my OX8, the midi IN lights travels up, but it doesnt show the keys being depressed in Jungalist. Also, right now Im not getting any playback when clicking on the keyboard.

This is getting really frustrating. I just went out an bought a Delta 410 (Now using an SB Live) to see if it will help. This application was way too expensive to behave like this.

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to use VSTi's in Cubase SX?

Also- Is it legally possible to sell registered software on ebay? Im considering selling it to a friend or putting it online if I cant get it resolved quickly.

Another note: ALL of my other applications work fine. It's just Cubase SX. Now I do have an older version of Cubase VST still installed. Could that be causing conflicts?

one more thing... my VSTI folder is a shared folder that I use for Wavelab, Acid Pro, and Cubase SX. It is not in the default c:program filesSteinbergvstplugins folder.

I still believe it's some sort of setup problem. I have yet to recieve a solid response from Steinberg either....

The VSTi folder shouldn't matter, if that was the problem you shouldn't have the plugins at all. Cubase SX should be able to live on the same machine as older versions as well.

First of all do this:

1) New project, choose the Empty template
2) F11, load up a softsynth. The "power button" should be lit (circle with a line through the top, above the e) by default, but if for whatever reason it isn't turn it on or you won't hear anything. The e is not the power button, it just opens the instrument for editing.
3) Right click in the pane between the inspector and the arrange area (where your track headers or whatever you care to call them appear), choose add MIDI track.
4) Set the ins and outs appropriately.
5) Make sure the track is selected and record is enabled (track record enable, not record on the transport) and it's not muted anywhere. It should already be this way after you add the MIDI track, but double check it I guess?
6) Play.

If that doesn't work:

0) Patch up to the latest version of Cubase SX if you've not already. Couldn't hurt.

1) Check your soundblaster or windows mixer, make sure nothing has set the volume down to zero or muted it (some windows programs will do this when you lower/mute volume in the program). If you're using the new card, check its mixer.

2) Devices->device setup->vst multitrack -- make sure all your audio settings look ok, maybe try some different settings if neccessary.

3) Make sure you're not running any other audio applications at the same time.

What you are describing is not at all normal behaviour of course. I mean Cubase SX ain't perfect but this is pretty basic functionality and I've never heard of anyone having issues like this before (and the people on the cubase forums LOVE to ***** about everything, endlessly).

Back