vst that sounds like the asr 10 and mpc

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild

my friend said he found a free vst plugin that changes ya sound to make it sound like the mpc or the asr 10 . is this true? he said you could even choose between the two. does anyone know the name of this or anything thats similar or if such a thing exist. please holla back

I am going to say ..................... No, Sorry.

There is software out there that you can do the same thing as an MPC and an ARS, bot nothing that will take a beat and make it sound like its from an ASR/MPC.

Depends on which mpc.
The newer mpc's don't really have a sound, and are very transparent.
You coulld probably go a long way with impulse response in terms of coloring the sound of your output to vintage gear.

Actually for all the accolades the mpc3000 gets for having a warmer sound than the other newer mpc's might even be placebo since the guy who runs midicase.com also repairs mpc's, and said the 2000, and 3000 share the same exact convertors!

So knowing that possibly only the mpc60 will color your sound in any noticable way.

first of all whizkid or whatevea the hell ya name is im not a noob,i asked a question. so quit assuming

I agree, its all in the tweaking. The ASR-10 does have a great sound to it, for a workstation sampler it has some the best effects out there. Especially for it being 15 years old. There are many VST plugins you can use to give you a great sound but you are going to have to do a lot of tweaking. Same with the ASR-10, the presets are great but you can also tweak the hell out of those affects and create your own sound which is what a lot of producers have done over the years. If you are talking about the multisampled effect like say a DJ premier, you have use VST instuments such as Kontakt or Native Insturments Battery, you can load up a bunch of samples in those programs and tweak away. hope this gives you something to work off of.

Last edited:
Oh I guess I should have listed the type of effects he's after.
Nothing wrong with having tools to make getting the sound your after a lil' easier.

FX2100 (aims to emulate the sp1200)
I personaly use this alot as an insert effect on drums.It's basicly a really nice filter that boosts in just the right frequencies.
http://www.acquitrecords.com/FX2100.zip

MDA Degrade:
Good for adding that detuned grit, and is very versital for lo-fi stuff in general.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/779.html

Ephonic LO-FI:
Can do some really wild things to your samples.Super gritty.
I find that using the controls in moderation is a good idea unless you just want to warp stuff.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/737.html

Voxengo Boogex:
I've been going to this one alot lately.Now this is a cabinet sim for guitars, but who says you have to use it for that, or use the impulses provided?
I downloaded some mpc60, and sp12 impulses.
Now the impulses only color the sound, but the controls, and eq in boogex are usefull for fattening things up.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1818.html

Here's some links to usefull impulse responses.
ftp://www.onetongun.com/shane/SP12_impulse1_7_dc.wav
http://noox.sitesled.com/ (impulses from compressors, tape, and a whole lot more)
http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html (this one has some interesting mpc60 impulses)

Last edited:
This is how it gets done!

Eh Yo Mattman04 you are a good dude!

Good lookin on the IR's and the other stuff.

Mattman have you tried the TL Space Impulse response VST? man that is the most craziest joint I have ever dealt with. I love that thing. I don't need any other IP VST

Actually for all the accolades the mpc3000 gets for having a warmer sound than the other newer mpc's might even be placebo since the guy who runs midicase.com also repairs mpc's, and said the 2000, and 3000 share the same exact convertors!

So knowing that possibly only the mpc60 will color your sound in any noticable way.

I don't believe it is a placebo.

The first MPC I learned on was the 3000. The other producer I worked with had one. I would borrow it from time to time. I wanted one badly but at that time Akai stopped making the 3000's, so shortly after they made the 2000. I quickly bought one and one of the first thing I noticed was the "sound". I thought that the 2000 sounded "crispy" and that the kicks sounded "weaker" than on the 3000, even when I loaded up some of the drum kits the producer who owned the 3000 gave me.

I thought it was placebo at first myself until one day we where working on a project and he loaded up his equipment in my studio. I had my 2000 plugged into my mackie and he had his 3000 plugged into my mackie and with the same trim settings and no eq or external effects. We had our volume knobs at about 75% up.

There was an obvious difference in the sound even when somewhat trying to match volume levels, the 3000 had a more dominate and cleaner sound, while the 2000 had a bit of almost distortion to it in the high end which made it sound somewhat "crispy" which sounded great on snares but didn't always work right with kicks.

This testing was done before we had spectrum analyzers VST plug-ins (around 1998 or so), so all we could go by was ears.

From what I heard each mpc uses a somewhat different converter and sampling engine.

This might be an mpc rumor but back in the days I never really heard anybody discredit these rumors.

The mpc 60 got its sampling engine from the S900 series samplers
The mpc 3000 got its sampling engine from the S3000 series samplers
The mpc 2000 got its sampling engine from the S2000 series samplers
The mpc 4000 got its sampling engine from the Z series samplers.

Even with that said I also heard that the mpcs also did a bit of filtering in their converters distinguishing the sounds between the mpc drum samplers and their respective rackmount samplers, because with drum samplers transparency wasn't the upmost requirement but whether or not the samples made good drum sounds.

One of the things going on the late 90s was how the mpc 2000 didn't sound as "phat" as the other mpcs, which people said was due to the s2000 being a more "budget" sampler than the S3000 and as a result had cheaper quality a/d and d/a converters.

That said the best emulation you will get of an mpc in the digital world is mainly eqing your samples a bit. It would have been nice back then to see what effects the mpc had on something like a sine wave sweep test, to see what frequencies were being emphasized or deemphasized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back