Use EDISON and DIRECTWAVE in CUBASE possible `?

KlickBeats

Hi I wanted to ask if ther is a way to use EDISON and DIRECTWAVE as a vst plugin in Cibase for example....as I know Directwave comes as a Vst instrument and is working without any problems but for Edison for example would it just be possible to copy the Edison.dll file into my vst Folder and open it in cubase ? That Way I would perfectly be able to chop up my samples and just drag & drop them into directwave for further manipulation !!

It won't work that way.
There is though a VST version of Edison bundled with a couple of FLs' FX you can purchase for 99$.
If you're really interested I would hurry up, because Imageline will soon take Edison from the bundle making it a separate purchase since it's growing really fast and is a complete new, more powerful, beast in FL 8 (you can try it in the FL 7.3 beta available in their forums)
Buying the 'Juice pack' anytime soon will get you Edison + a few plugins you could have some use for too.
http://www.image-line.com/documents/edison.html

KlickBeats said:
Hi I wanted to ask if ther is a way to use EDISON and DIRECTWAVE as a vst plugin in Cibase for example....as I know Directwave comes as a Vst instrument and is working without any problems but for Edison for example would it just be possible to copy the Edison.dll file into my vst Folder and open it in cubase ? That Way I would perfectly be able to chop up my samples and just drag & drop them into directwave for further manipulation !!
Edison and DirectWave aren't VSTi's in FL. They're plugins for FL only. Though as Sqito mentioned they do sell Edison as part of Juice Pack. If you need something similar to DirectWave use discoDSP HighLife which is free.

I'm waiting for Edison to become OS X compatible so I can use it to help out poor Logic Pro when I'm doing the Mac thing. LOL.

L. A. Stone said:
I'm waiting for Edison to become OS X compatible so I can use it to help out poor Logic Pro when I'm doing the Mac thing. LOL.
Good luck on that one considering Image Line is a Windows only software house :)

No, some of their plugins are OS X compatible, others are in work for OS X. Edison is listed as "OS X, Not yet available".

L. A. Stone said:
No, some of their plugins are OS X compatible, others are in work for OS X. Edison is listed as "OS X, Not yet available".
The only plugins I see as OS X compatible are the ones not even created by them. Those plugins are created by Synapse Audio Software. Not everything you see in FL is made by Image Line. They've licensed some stuff along the way.

As for others in the works I'm not sure where you got that info. If it's by the "not yet available" image then this isn't something I'd be using as the basis for a fact considering FL itself has the same exact image on its product page yet FL will never have a OS X counterpart :)

Last edited:
Or is there an alternative to Edison ??? Anithing similar to internal Sample Slicing chopping editing ??? in cubase i mean !

What separates Edison from other samplers is mainly the fact that you don't have to waste anytime naming the files. The auto-name feature, once implemented by other software (once the programmers wake up), will be common and Edison may just loose it's luster.

I wish it WOULD allow you a basis for filenaming.....for example, if you're chopping up a Marvin Gaye record....you could set it to autoname them "marvingaye1, marvingaye2," etc.

Once you're flipping through your chops post-shut down, "Dragged Sample_1, Dragged Sample_2, Dragged Sample_2,467" can get pretty......confusing.

DigitalTechnic said:
The only plugins I see as OS X compatible are the ones not even created by them. Those plugins are created by Synapse Audio Software. Not everything you see in FL is made by Image Line. They've licensed some stuff along the way.

As for others in the works I'm not sure where you got that info. If it's by the "not yet available" image then this isn't something I'd be using as the basis for a fact considering FL itself has the same exact image on its product page yet FL will never have a OS X counterpart :)

LOL. You changed your post, and your story. What's the point? When you're wrong, just be wrong and live with it. It's not like any of this is important. By the way, Morphine, PoiZone, and Toxic III are all OS X compatible. I can't find any reason to care if they licensed them, made them borrowed them, stole them, or bummed them like smokes. They're available for sale on Imageline's website and are clearly marked as OS X/ Audio Units.

L.A.: as already mentioned in your post over at the IL forums regarding this:
Poizone, Morphine, Deckadance, etc... were programmed in C++ - a cross platform programming language. That makes it easier to port a program from PC to a native Mac version. There are still tons of Windows related stuff in those plugins though which still makes it a PITA to do so.
Stuff the lead programmer of FL codes (Edison, Sytrus, FL,...) is written in Delphi which is not available for Mac which makes a direct port almost impossible. That's why the staff keep on saying that it's "highly unlikely" FL and everything else programmed in Delphi will ever get a native Mac port.

Last edited:
KlickBeats said:
Or is there an alternative to Edison ??? Anithing similar to internal Sample Slicing chopping editing ??? in cubase i mean !

You mean, other than Cubase's own amazing internal beat slicing? LOL. Cubase has one of the best built in beat slicers of any sequencer. Probably not as "handy" as Edison because Edison is simply on a whole different level. But inside Cubase, you can double click a sample which brings up the sample editor. Then press a key command which begins the auto slicing. Then use the slider to add or remove slices. Then you can use 1 tool to preview a slice, add a slice, or remove a slice. Zoom in close and actually re-draw the waveform if you needed to remove a click or pop. When you're done, hit another key command to replace the original sample with the newly sliced parts in the sequencer. You can also quantize the position of the parts. Cubase is bananas with the beat slicing.

Edison is great because it essentially does all that with a somewhat better interface. But Edison also allows you to grab a slice and simply place it anywhere. You can put it in the sequencer playlist, put it in a sampler channel, FL's FPC or Directwave, or even to VSTi samplers that support drag and drop. Vsampler 3 does, Kontakt doesn't for example. So all of that is amazing flexibility that allows you to do anything without leaving the sequencer. Plus Edison has other functions, some of which aren't so great because they aren't real time. Edison is also available as a VST plugin. I tried it but none of the key commands worked and that sucked all the desire to use it out of it.

True. Edison as VST FX kinda sucks if you're used to its keyboard shortcuts.

[edit] I remember shortcuts working on an early version. Can't remember why they were removed or why there wasn't an option implemented like in Kontakt e.g. for either the plugin steal the keystrokes of the hosting app or simply ignore them. :/
A choice would have been nice. Especially with a plugin with so many keycombos.

Last edited:
L. A. Stone said:
LOL. You changed your post, and your story. What's the point? When you're wrong, just be wrong and live with it. It's not like any of this is important. By the way, Morphine, PoiZone, and Toxic III are all OS X compatible. I can't find any reason to care if they licensed them, made them borrowed them, stole them, or bummed them like smokes. They're available for sale on Imageline's website and are clearly marked as OS X/ Audio Units.
Well how am I wrong when clearly my original comment holds true? They're a windows software house. They only code in Delphi(which I've been coding in for ages) which is Windows only! The only plugins that are available for OS X aren't even created by them, do you understand what that means? Them selling OS X compatible software has nothing to do with the fact they're a windows software house and their in-house coding is windows based via Delphi. DirectWave, Deck-A-Dance was not inhouse but that may have changed now due to the authors passing.
I'm not the one claiming otherwise and then following up with nonsense like "I don't care it wasn't created by them" when the whole basis of my comment was them being windows software house and their in-house coding is Windows based. Don't you just love contradiction especially when it proves the naysayer otherwise.

Back