Ultrabeat question

Taybot

Is there a way to layer drum sounds in Ultrabeat? So that when I hit one key, 2 or 3 different drum sounds play at once. This is easy to do in Redrum (just wire it in the back) but I was wondering if it's possible to do in Ultrabeat and if so, how do you do it?

Also, what is better for drums, Ultrabeat or ESX? I'm learning Ultrabeat right now but I heard you can layer drums in ESX and I NEED to layer kicks and stuff like that.

aight thanks everyone! i appreciate the help!

Im gonna mess around with ultrabeat now, see if I could help...

ok I found a way, a little complicated though lol but it could be done. What I did was had two snare sounds, one triggers on e2 the other when you hit f2 (im using the drag and drop preset by the way). In the environment window, (if you don't understand this then look up logic ninja on youtube he explains the environment well)set up a chord memorizer to play both e and f when just e is pressed.

It may seem complicated but once you do the work, just save it as a template so its ready to go.

Last edited:
I know what the drag & drop preset is, and by watching the Logic Ninja videos I learned what the environment window is. But the environment window is complicated and I can't figure out how to set up a chord memorizer to play both notes at once.

Do you do it in Click & Ports? Or in the mixer window of the environment window? Also, are you supposed to set up the samples in ultrabeat for 3-4, or what? I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks again for your help!

I know what the drag & drop preset is, and by watching the Logic Ninja videos I learned what the environment window is. But the environment window is complicated and I can't figure out how to set up a chord memorizer to play both notes at once.

Do you do it in Click & Ports? Or in the mixer window of the environment window? Also, are you supposed to set up the samples in ultrabeat for 3-4, or what? I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks again for your help!

yeah you do it in click & ports.
My signal goes from the midi keyboard, to a cable switcher (go to new, faders, special, cable switcher).
From the cable switcher it can go three ways. To change the signal, simply click on the cable switcher.

1. First I have it set up to go directly into the sequencer input. This is what I normally use, you hit a note and it reads that note.

2. I set up an arpeggiator that goes into the sequencer input.

3. For the third, I have the chord memorizer that goes into the sequencer input. Its easy to use, first double click on it. It should pop up a window with two keyboards. The top one is where you choose the note that triggers the notes below. So you click on a note on the top keyboard, then you choose what notes you want it to play on the bottom keyboard. In my case, I just clicked on note e2 on the top keyboard, then e2 and f2 on the bottom then hit ok.

That way both the sample on 17 and 18 are triggered when I hit just e2.

And leave the samples on main for now, that just routes into another channel. So you could have a channel strip for each individual sound.

However, what I personally do to layer drums is just create one drum track. Sequence the pattern. Duplicate that track and pattern sequence. And just change the drum sound.

thanks for the help so far! i think I almost have it but I can't quite get it.

For one, when I double click on Chord Memorizer, I choose one note on the upper keyboard, and two notes on the bottom keyboard, then click OK, but it doesn't remember my selection. Every time I click on the Chord Memorizer there are no gray keys. It seems to forget how I set it up.

The connection is as follows: starts at SUM, then it goes to the Input Notes keyboard, then to Input View, then to cable switcher, then to Chord Memorizer, which goes to Sequencer Input. I click on Cable Switcher so it's pointed towards the Chord Memorizer. Then I click on Chord Memorizer and try to gray the appropriate keys but, like I said, it won't remember what I marked in gray. I haven't once gotten 2 keys to play when I hit C#.

Do I have it set up right? I feel like I'm doing everything right but it's still not working. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated!

You got everything right. Only problem I could guess is that your top keyboard you clicked note c in the first octave. For some reason it only allows octaves c2-c4. If you did it right you could hit listen, to see if an error occurs.

Cool I got it to work with c2-c4. Plus it's dope cuz now I understand the environment window.

So there's really no way to make it work for the first few notes on the keyboard? If you know of any way to make that work please lemme know but either way, thanks a bunch for your help you're clearly way more skilled at this logic ish than me!

Last edited:
no problem, I usually end up learning something too in the process.

It might be setup like that for a reason, I don't know why though. Once you start messing around with the environment, you find out its really simple. There's allot of things you can do with it once you understand it

If you want a vst/au thats MUCH easier to layer drums check out linplugs RMV. Its really cool, even auto chops samples and maps them to keys

Last edited:
K I'll keep that in mind about the linplugs RMV. For now I feel like I got enough to learn with Logic ha. Hey I was wondering something else.

I was tryin to set it so a single key on my keyboard would start recording, but asterisk, which is supposed to be the shortcut to record, doesn't start recording. So I went to Preferences-Key Commands and ended up clicking "Initialize all key commands."

That worked, so now when I hit "R" it starts recording, but when it's in cycle mode, i don't know the button to take it off Record, I can't get it to go back into regular Play mode without it stopping. This tutorial book I got says Enter should bring it back into regular play mode but that doesn't work.

Also, ever since I hit that "initialize all key commands," some stuff is messed up. Like / doesn't split up stuff in the arrange area. So I got my Record button working but then the backslash doesn't work anymore ha.

Can you tell me how to set key commands? I can't figure out how to do it from the key commands menu. Like, I want R to record, enter to bring it back to play mode, / to split up stuff....just basic stuff, but I can't get it to work.

Thanks again! i like that paper & pen joint

try the space bar to stop it

I can't remember how to change the hot keys, check help maybe in the program itself.

coo also i figured out how to change the hot keys.

Just hit Option K, then choose a command, then click "Learn by Key Label," the button turns gray when you click it, then press whatever key you want to use as the hot key.

I have another ultrabeat question I was hoping I could get some help with.

I am having trouble loading the EXS samples into Ultrabeat. I know you click import, then logic, then exs factory samples, then electronic drums but when I click on the 808s (or anything else) the open button isn't highlited, so I can't actually select it.

I must have a setting wrong or something? Does anyone know how to make it the EXS Samples available? I need those samples!

Thanks again i appreciate it!

Back