Two Logic DAW Questions

Dariel!

First off is their some type of AU plugin I could use for drums that is better than and simpler to use than the exs24 cause I find it annoying to use it for drums.

Also what are some good tutorials for logic for a beginning musician with no prior musical training.

Depends what you're looking for i reckon. The exs is a sampler, so if you're looking for another sampler the other option really is kontakt. Ultrabeat is simple with respect to pattern sequencing if that's what you're after though. For drums only i also like addictive drums. Download the free version and have a go.

Lots of stuff on youtube for logic. The manual is excellent also.

Depends what you're looking for i reckon. The exs is a sampler, so if you're looking for another sampler the other option really is kontakt. Ultrabeat is simple with respect to pattern sequencing if that's what you're after though. For drums only i also like addictive drums. Download the free version and have a go.

Lots of stuff on youtube for logic. The manual is excellent also.
I didn't know you can sample using kontakt I thought it was only for instrument libraries, I also have battery but never tried it out. But Thanks I will look into addictive drums because the thing with logic is that I like the exs 24 for sampling music but as far as setting up drums in it I find it too difficult and slow of a process. I will also look into tuorials on youtube. Thanks a lot!

I also want to point I use an mpk mini.

Nah, kontakt is a sampler. The free kontakt player is for the playing back of libraries and instruments. In fact, download the free player and download the free instrument library you get with it. There's drums in there so you can have a look see how it would work. You can't do much editing with the player mind. I actually only own the player as don't really like the window, but from what i can make out kontakt 5 is more comprehensive than the exs.

What's your process for setting up drums in the exs? You know you can load multiple samples at a time, yes? The option is in the edit menu in the edit window. Load multiple > select the drums > load > done. The exs also responds to header naming so you don't have to worry about keymapping unless you want to, just make sure you give your drums the key in the header. Stick to the general midi format is my advice. You can also drag and drop but i guess you know that. Hotkeys also make it much quicker. Ctrl-z for new zone, ctrl-f for load sample into that zone.

why not use ultrabeat for drums? it's a very good synth if you know how to use it ;)
I don't know how to use it. :(

Besides is it easy to load drums into it?

Also.....
Nah, kontakt is a sampler. The free kontakt player is for the playing back of libraries and instruments. In fact, download the free player and download the free instrument library you get with it. There's drums in there so you can have a look see how it would work. You can't do much editing with the player mind. I actually only own the player as don't really like the window, but from what i can make out kontakt 5 is more comprehensive than the exs.

What's your process for setting up drums in the exs? You know you can load multiple samples at a time, yes? The option is in the edit menu in the edit window. Load multiple > select the drums > load > done. The exs also responds to header naming so you don't have to worry about keymapping unless you want to, just make sure you give your drums the key in the header. Stick to the general midi format is my advice. You can also drag and drop but i guess you know that. Hotkeys also make it much quicker. Ctrl-z for new zone, ctrl-f for load sample into that zone.
How do you load multiples samples using exs?
I can only seem to load one at a time. Can you command click many of them and load them that way? I mean some times its fun to have a few of them pitched out like hi hats or shakers but my snares and claps I want only to be on one note and to play with out being pitched. It all seems to confusing.
But thanks for the short cuts.

I also didnt know you can drag and drop them.

I think I may try to load drums into logic using battery. Is that any good? I guess I may have the kontakt player becaue mine can only load libraries.

Last edited:
I don't know how to use it. :(

Besides is it easy to load drums into it?

by load drums into it, do you mean drum samples? if so, yeah it's SUPER easy and simple if that's what you're referring to...i've been so into ultrabeat...i didn't know how to use ultrabeat either at first until i watched my company's tutorial on it...

now i am able to fully utilize ultrabeat...everything from synthesizing my own kicks, claps, snares, hi hats, etc...it really is a powerful tool and

by load drums into it, do you mean drum samples? if so, yeah it's SUPER easy and simple if that's what you're referring to...i've been so into ultrabeat...i didn't know how to use ultrabeat either at first until i watched my company's tutorial on it...

now i am able to fully utilize ultrabeat...everything from synthesizing my own kicks, claps, snares, hi hats, etc...it really is a powerful tool and
Does it have a swing option? May I see the tutorial on it too?
and yeah I mean drum samples.

Does it have a swing option? May I see the tutorial on it too?
and yeah I mean drum samples.

yes it does have a swing option...

S0405_Pattern_params.png

as for the tutorial on ultrabeat, i work for dance music production...i bought the DVD from them before i started working there...you can find this DVD if you google "dance music production ultrabeat" and it will take you to a link to the page...i don't think i'm allowed to post a link here because i work there...but if you have any questions feel free to PM me about it...EXCELLENT DVD if you want to learn how to program your own drum timbres from kicks, claps, snares to hi hats...this DVD gets in depth on sound design of these timbres...

it's really simple on how to import drum samples in ultrabeat...i can lay out the steps for ya if you would like...

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

PS...i see that you're from NY, i'm from there as well :)

Last edited:
To load multiple samples into the exs go into the edit window and go into the zone menu and click multiple. I said edit menu before but my mistake. Yeah you can cmd click samples like this, or shift click to select a range. Either load them using contiguous zones or choose the header option if the key is in the header.

For ultrabeat, drag a drum sample into the sample window which is found on OSC 2 in the sample tab (down the bottom). Right click the channel/voice down the left hand side that you're dragging it onto and choose 'initialise sample' which will default all the settings to play back the sample without effects. You can also import kits from the import menu at the top.

No idea about battery.

yes it does have a swing option...

S0405_Pattern_params.png

as for the tutorial on ultrabeat, i work for dance music production...i bought the DVD from them before i started working there...you can find this DVD if you google "dance music production ultrabeat" and it will take you to a link to the page...i don't think i'm allowed to post a link here because i work there...but if you have any questions feel free to PM me about it...EXCELLENT DVD if you want to learn how to program your own drum timbres from kicks, claps, snares to hi hats...this DVD gets in depth on sound design of these timbres...

it's really simple on how to import drum samples in ultrabeat...i can lay out the steps for ya if you would like...

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

PS...i see that you're from NY, i'm from there as well :)
'
Lol yep im from NY. Im from Brooklyn and thanks for answering my question. I will try and see if I could find some online tutorials and then if they suck I will contact you about that dvd.

To load multiple samples into the exs go into the edit window and go into the zone menu and click multiple. I said edit menu before but my mistake. Yeah you can cmd click samples like this, or shift click to select a range. Either load them using contiguous zones or choose the header option if the key is in the header.

For ultrabeat, drag a drum sample into the sample window which is found on OSC 2 in the sample tab (down the bottom). Right click the channel/voice down the left hand side that you're dragging it onto and choose 'initialise sample' which will default all the settings to play back the sample without effects. You can also import kits from the import menu at the top.

No idea about battery.

Thanks IB P. I will try out both the EXS24 method and ultrabeat and see which one is easier for me.

I really appreciate both you guys answers. Before I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with logic but now I feel with practice I can become better at it.

Last edited:
'
Lol yep im from NY. Im from Brooklyn and thanks for answering my question. I will try and see if I could find some online tutorials and then if they suck I will contact you about that dvd.

Thanks IB P. I will try out both the EXS24 method and ultrabeat and see which one is easier for me.

I really appreciate both you guys answers. Before I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with logic but now I feel with practice I can become better at it.

no problems, glad to help...ultrabeat is quite easy once you learn the complicated interface! i can now make my own drum timbres from scratch which is cool because i no longer need to rely on samples...also try out the exs24 and see which one you like better...for drums, ultrabeat is the way to go as it has a lot more parameters that are suitable for drum hits and timbres...best of luck to you!

Back