truth about vsts

S

SCWbeats

what are VSTs?
are they samples i can use in reason?
whats the difference between vst's and samples/refills?

VST - Is a virtual instrument. It can be made up of synthetic sounds, including drums and piano (that sound real) as well as wild leads and space age noises ect........ and made up of samples.

Samples, are a "clip" or sampled portion of another source. In its basic form a sample is something that is not created or generated by the sampler itself - instead, the sampler is taking in a "snap-shot picture" of what another audio source puts out. Then that picture or audio sound is played back to you when you hit a certain key or create a sequence.
You can sample anything. You can even sample a synthetic sound or even sample another sample.

Refills are made up of samples that are laid out and formated in the Reason format. They can also be made up from Wav files, MP3 and Aiff.
It can produce synth sounds as well, and typically does so by tweaking an actual sample such as a flute and combining it with certain effects and other sounds to come up with something like "spooky ghost" patch.

Sample or Synth

A sample is like an actual picture that can then be tweaked how ever you like or left alone as it is.

A synth would be like watching a XBox game with great graphics that looks extremely real or like Star Wars. The images are actualy not real and are rather computer generated. They can be made to look very fake on purpose, or they can be designed to appear as close to actual pictures, people or things.

Some movies need fake looking stuff that couldn't be possible in real life. Like in X-Men, and other Sci-Fi movies (synth). While other movies require everything to be real(sample).

Again those lines can be crossed with either. A synth can sound like a regular piano and a sampler can sample a piano but make it eventually sound like a spaceship.

Last: No you can cant use VST in reason. Reason is its own program following its own format. You can load samples into reason though.

In a simple break down of the program Reason is actually both. A Synth and a Sampler in one package with a sequencer included.

I must be really drunk. I took the Op's question as some sort of poetic statement...then I realized he was ginuinely asking a question. lol.

Literally Lol'ing.

Back