Trap Orchestra Hits in Logic

H

Hinojosa

How do you get or make an orchestral hit in logic? i use the the staccato strings, but they seem to lack power so i mix them with staccato brass and choirs but it still doesn't sound "there"

I keep saying Logic sounds too "keyboardy" everyone thnks I'm trippin. Only thing I could tell you is take advantage of AU and get a nice set of plug ins. Just wierd that you get like 6 DVDs out the box and still missing sounds with power behind them. Reason's Factory Bank is like 1.5gb and covers all those sounds fairly enough.

Last edited:
To my mind the daw is irrelevant; it is the way you approach your orchestration:

I'm thinking you need to consider how you "voice" the stab -

Take a c major chord CEG and map it out across the sounds so that you have something like

C4 E4 G4 C5 High strings, Trumpets, Sopranos {Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet}
C3 E3 G3 C4 Violas, Trumpets, Horns, Altos, Tenors {Oboe, Clarinet, Flute}
C2 G2 C3 'Cellos, Trombones, Horns, Tenors, Basses {Bassoon, Clarinet}
C1 G1 C2 'Cellos, Double Basses, Bass Trombones, Tubas, Basses including a Russian Bass who should be able to sing that low C {Bass Clarinet, Bassoon}
C0 C1 Double Basses, Bass Trombones, Tubas {Contra-Bass Clarinet, Contra-Bassoon}

Add timpani (C1 - G1 - C2 - G2) and bass drum to the mix, with maybe a touch of snare drum as well.

Add some woodwind as well in the right areas indicated in {} above

^^^No, it's the sounds. Run IK's Miroslav Philharmonik or Reason in Logic, instrument problem solved. Run Battery in Logic, problem with drums is solved...But Logic comes with 6 DVDs of crap keyboardy sounds. People who are devoted users are gonna support their product, but i don't understand how FL always had a name for having "crappy stock sounds" and Logic gets a pass. Cause it's Apple/Mac? Who designed those crappy sounds?

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Go to Youtube and type in "Trap Beat logic" then type in "Trap Beat FL", "Trap Beat Reason", "Trap Beat Sonar" they sound different UNLESS the guy using Logic does what most Logic users doesn't, and uses sounds from other Libraries. Replace "Trap Beat" with "Sampled Beat" or "Soul beat" or anything Urban music related...same results. In all fairness, you buy a Mac, pay $800 for a production software that comes with 6 DVDs of sounds...easy to convince yourself you need nothing else. Even if 2gb software like Hypersonic 2 or Reason could completely redefine your sound. I've always been the guy who said "the DAW doesn't matter"...but Logic is the ONLY Daw I've ever used that downed out my sound to the point I said "this isn't right". I've used everything from MPC to Playstation to Triton to FL to Reason to a Live Set to make tracks, never got that feeling until working in Logic.

REFX Nexus has that same "Logic Sound" I'm referring to to it, so does Luxonix purity, but you buy that for the sound, it's made to emulate keyboard workstation synths like the Korg Trinity, different game when you have multisampled GBs of libraries...bleh.

Last edited:
^^^No, it's the sounds. Run IK's Miroslav Philharmonik or Reason in Logic, instrument problem solved. Run Battery in Logic, problem with drums is solved...But Logic comes with 6 DVDs of crap keyboardy sounds. People who are devoted users are gonna support their product, but i don't understand how FL always had a name for having "crappy stock sounds" and Logic gets a pass. Cause it's Apple/Mac? Who designed those crappy sounds?

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Go to Youtube and type in "Trap Beat logic" then type in "Trap Beat FL", "Trap Beat Reason", "Trap Beat Sonar" they sound different UNLESS the guy using Logic does what most Logic users doesn't, and uses sounds from other Libraries. Replace "Trap Beat" with "Sampled Beat" or "Soul beat" or anything Urban music related...same results. In all fairness, you buy a Mac, pay $800 for a production software that comes with 6 DVDs of sounds...easy to convince yourself you need nothing else. Even if 2gb software like Hypersonic 2 or Reason could completely redefine your sound. I've always been the guy who said "the DAW doesn't matter"...but Logic is the ONLY Daw I've ever used that downed out my sound to the point I said "this isn't right". I've used everything from MPC to Playstation to Triton to FL to Reason to a Live Set to make tracks, never got that feeling until working in Logic.

REFX Nexus has that same "Logic Sound" I'm referring to to it, so does Luxonix purity, but you buy that for the sound, it's made to emulate keyboard workstation synths like the Korg Trinity, different game when you have multisampled GBs of libraries...bleh.

what DAW do you use bro? and what do you mean by logic "downing the sound"?

Last edited:
^^^I switch between Reason and Fl. Reason currently. As I said before Logic is a Daw, any sound you load in it gives you the quality of the sound. If you load Kontakt, or Hypersonic, or Reason, ect. you instantly diffuse the "Logic Sound" I refer to. It's just funny that FL catches such a bad rep for "stock sounds" and everyone needs vst support in Reason, but IMO the 6 DVDs that come with logic give you the equivalent to sounds from a high end Casio arranger keyboard(which does not sound good in 2011 when comparing to other products).

I can tell a "stock" Logic beat and I'm not as familiar with Logics library as I should have to be to do that. Add any 3rd party vstis and the sound is instantly lost. Just a shame you have to do that with like 40GB of sounds to begin with.

^^^I switch between Reason and Fl. Reason currently. As I said before Logic is a Daw, any sound you load in it gives you the quality of the sound. If you load Kontakt, or Hypersonic, or Reason, ect. you instantly diffuse the "Logic Sound" I refer to. It's just funny that FL catches such a bad rep for "stock sounds" and everyone needs vst support in Reason, but IMO the 6 DVDs that come with logic give you the equivalent to sounds from a high end Casio arranger keyboard(which does not sound good in 2011 when comparing to other products).

I can tell a "stock" Logic beat and I'm not as familiar with Logics library as I should have to be to do that. Add any 3rd party vstis, a vocalist, live instruments, ect and the sound is instantly lost. Just a shame you have to do that with like 40GB of sounds to begin with. That should sound like live instruments off the bat.

Last edited:
^^ Oh yea I hear ya. I started off with FL and used it for about 2 years. I just got started with Logic a couple months ago after I got my Macbook Pro. I'm thinkin' of just running windows on it via bootcamp to get back on FL studio cause I'm homesick (FL). Do you have any experience of how windows/FL will run on Mac via bootcamp? With VSTi instruments and all. Here are the specs of my Macbook pro,

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2

Memory: 4 GB
Hardrive 249.72 GB

^^^Bootcamp runs exactly like it would on PC. Flawless. But you may also want to check out programs like VMWare Fusion where you can run windows inside OSX without having to reboot to run one OS or the other. It's way better on workflow to be playing a song in iTunes, decide you want to sample it and only have to make one mouseclick to bring up FL and get to work with the song file without even having to transfer it to the other partition of your computer.

Research "Crossover", "VMWare Fusion", and Parallells". I think VMWare Fusion with an audio interface is the best option, but many disagree, so I'd suggest researching for yourself.

^^^Bootcamp runs exactly like it would on PC. Flawless. But you may also want to check out programs like VMWare Fusion where you can run windows inside OSX without having to reboot to run one OS or the other. It's way better on workflow to be playing a song in iTunes, decide you want to sample it and only have to make one mouseclick to bring up FL and get to work with the song file without even having to transfer it to the other partition of your computer.

Research "Crossover", "VMWare Fusion", and Parallells". I think VMWare Fusion with an audio interface is the best option, but many disagree, so I'd suggest researching for yourself.

Thanks for the help. I've been researching and it seems that there are a bunch of mixed opinions lol, idk which to choose! Have you had any experience with any of these? And which do you think is the best option that doesn't require sacrificing major performance?

I have been using logic for 2 years Its what I started out on the sounds in logic do suck but not everything the bells and strings are good with some fx and the es2 and I forget the name of the module string synth is a beast for crazy sounds but if your on a budget starting out get a huge HD and fruity loops unless you have 1000 layin around for some east west you gotta make do with what ya got I can make strings shine but brass thats where I leave it up to chris hein

Back