trance music

fpu22554

ok...i have no clue what i need to make trance music like paul van dyk...what does he use to make his albums...i'm sure its not fruity loops and reason...i tried sylenth but it still doesn't sound like paul van dyk's stuff...any i idea what kind of stuff i need to make music like pvd and above and beyond

ok...i have no clue what i need to make trance music like paul van dyk...what does he use to make his albums...i'm sure its not fruity loops and reason...i tried sylenth but it still doesn't sound like paul van dyk's stuff...any i idea what kind of stuff i need to make music like pvd and above and beyond

Don't be so sure. FL and Reason are both PERFECTLY suited for creating trance. And did you mean to say that you went through EVERY preset and EVERY variation of EVERY attribute of EVERY preset in Sylenth and found NOTHING that sounded like ANYTHING you have EVER hear in a Paul Van Dyk track? Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
Even if he's not using fl or reason it doesn't mean you can't recreate the same sounds in them. Experienced producers make unique sounds by filtering, efx, layering, tweaking, eq, automation, etc... stuff like that takes time and experimentation to learn. For example, I tried to recreate a synth sound i liked that timbaland used.. I layered 4 synths in reason, tweaked out with about 4 efx on each layer. took a lot of time but I came out with something that sounded similar. I saved the patch and now I have a unique sound that no one has I can use and it's a beast of a synth! and I learned how along the way, you should try that with that trance producer you like.

Sylenth1 is a great VST for trance production, as is Vanguard, Massive, Rob Papen Blue, Rob Papen Predator, Z3ta+, and V-Station. You may hear a lot of people talk about using the popular plugin Nexus, but I highly suggest not going that route because it's pretty much just a bunch of high-quality presets that you can't tweak (not to mention it could/would be hard as shit finding the fitting tones you want).

All the plugins I listed have the ability to produce trance at a professional level; you just have to learn them and find out for yourself.

As for drums, the "Vengeance Club Essentials" packs are very popular and definitely have more than enough drum samples for you to use. If you get bored of them though, I hear that the packs manufactured by Ueberschall are quite nice as well.

Now get to work! :cheers:

Back