Top 5 DAW's of 2013

Thanks mwandishi! Yeah, I list all the features and upgrades in these versions in the article link below it (Full Article). I just didn't want to paste the entire article, but you can see what upgrades were made to these versions, features, and a short review of each.

Ya, I saw the article, but there is no critique in the piece. You don't justify why logic is #1 in your view. Not saying its not, but why is not clear?

There's no critique because all of that "article" is just copy-pasted feature lists from the DAW's home pages.

Cubase 6 (in my case)
Ableton Live 8

I create more traditional music (acoustic, live band recording ) so I am used to do it in Cubase as its longtime user. But have bough also Launchpad and simple version of Live 8 to start making music from another point of view. So far, Live 8 looks like outstanding software for creation loopbased, ambient music in realtime.

It seems like all of these articles are just personal preference really.
The one list had FL Studio as number 1.......come on,really?
Just because somethings simple to use doesn't mean it's the best.

Studio 1,Pro-Tools and Sonar would be in my top three but that's just my opinion.

Peace

^^^Exactly what I was thinking. lmao! I can see actually testing them out or going down the years of all the ones that a person used. Then on top of that, this is a software section so we would have to leave out hardware sampler, sequencers.....and a few more recorder, sampler, sequencers.

My experience over the years...no top 5 or nothing. Just from what I started with to what I used today. I need to be sleep, but I accidentally drunk a coke.

4 track cassette tape recorder
Had no experience using this. Didn't care about how the mix sound, an eq, compressor, or whatever. It had eqs on it.....so what? My main goal then was to put beats from my keyboard and drum machine on the tape and rap. I was so proud of my recording. Didn't hear any complaints on the mix or the equipment. People liked what they heard. Was told I then I should be rich. The pros of it was not caring about nothing but making music and beng able to hear something that was actually created by me. That was a beautiful thing. Nothing beats that feeling of buying fresh new cassettes knowing that it's blank in the bag and imagining those blanks becoming something I can have forever....so I thought. Another great thing was taking other people's old commercial cassettes that they don't listen to any more [I thought] and putting tape over the holes when I didn't have any blanks....I would be damn if I was going to use the stuff I already recorded music on. The cons............well............where should I start? after a while the thing started eating my precious beloved music that was worth a gazillion dollars......$300 piece of gear.....ruining the greatest music the world would never get to hear...all because I wanted to hear it...over and over and over....rewind...fast forward....reset the timer to all 000s so I know what's up.......DAMN IT.....I hit record slghtly....PLEASE GOD....PLEASE.......don't let it be ruined.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:cry: Dammit it........who recorded the radio over my tape.....you will SUFFER!!!!!!!! Death is to easy for you......I want to hear you scream....everyday of your life!!! It's people I still hate til this day because they recorded over one of my tapes........or I found a blank tape missing. Another con is that I could never get recording to sound like the commercial stuff.......man......I need what they use.....a big ass mixing board thing.....one of those big tape things...I can't afford either.

Magic Studio

Wow.........I got me a laptop!!!! Specs? What are specs? Forget specs man....I got a laptop!!! I got me a studio I can take anywhere. been making beats on a playstation.....shooooood....I got me a creative sound card so I can plug my playstation up to it like I did my cassette recorder. WOW....THIS SOUNDS PROFESSIONAL!!!!! I'm done with cassettes....this sounds clean!!! And I got a bunch of mixers. What is this......duplicate? Let's try this..........WOOOOOOOOAH....MY BEAT SOUNDS BETTER!!!!!! Duplicate it again.....WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MAN......Listen to that kick...BOOOOOOOOM.....duplicate it one more time........o.k....that's two much. I got the triple duplicate rule for my beats after I record. I got little gadget things.....what does this do......WOAAAAAAAH this makes the kick go boom. WOW THIS IS AWESOME MAN...LIFE IS GREAT!!!!! I just can't plug my mic up anywhere....HEY...I CAN GET ONE OF THOSE HEADSET MIC THINGS AND RECORD VOCALS...YES!!!! Hey.....I can't carry a big ole playstation everywhere with me.....I need something I can make beats on with my laptop.......

Reason 1.0

OMG..........faints.......wake up......faints.....wake up....faints. OMG.....I've been wanting this whistle sound since the Chronic album....AND I FINALLY GOT IT.....Bahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Every beat I make from now on will have that whistle sound. Wow these drums kick ass......MAN these strings are amazing!!!!!! I shall never leave this program ever in my life. It has everything I ever wanted. I OFFICIALLY HAVE A BIG STUDIO WITH ME!!!! Who needs a real mixer shit? I got as many mixers as I want! And that's just in one software.

Reason 3.0

I got booooooooom baby!!! Malstrom.....what's this? And what's an internet? You mean the thing that I play chess on with AOL? I only play chess man.....this is my studio. I heard you can get viruses going to sites and stuff.......but hey.....I wonder....just wonder....if I can sell beats online......WOW......this guy has a beat for sell for $5000....AND IT SUCKS!!!......OMG THIS IS IT. I'M ABOUT TO GET RICH!!!!!!! wow.....I uploaded my beat but it doesn't hit hard like those $5000 beats....BUT MINE ARE WAAAAAAAAY BETTER!!!! wow....nobody is buying my beats....I must make them load so they can hear them. How do I make them loud? Mastersuite? Hell...I turn everything up on it......it just sound all smushy and it's still nowhere close to as loud as the other beats. What's this.....soundclick? Wow....I can upload as much as I can on here. OMG...I NEED TO STEP MY GAME UP....THIS GUY HAS SOUNDS AND CHIPMUNK VOICES FLYING EVERYWHERE IN 3D!!! HE is number 1. I will destroy him...because I got Reason...............3.0. It jut won't let me load samples in it......I think......hell I don't know....I just make beats..I don't sample.

ACID Pro 5.0

HAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!! My beats are the shit! I load a sample.......I can change the pitch in it and it doesn't speed up...YES!!!! Let's see you suckas do that!!! HAR HAR HAAAR!!!! Reason on the drums, samples on acid. Forget Magix Studio. Man........I can't do anymore on this software...it keeps stuttering and jumping around...NOOOOOOOO!!!!! This software sucks. I can do anything in the world on it....but I can't do more than 7 tracks. Well what do you know......I can sample in reason. O.K........do some crazy stuff in Acid, and load it into reason.....HAR HAR HAR....the world is MINE!!!!!

O.K.......I need software that will make my beats LOUD. Oh......so soundblaster is not actually a studio soundcard? I need a studio soundcard.........O.K....M Audio Fast Track USB.....cheapest thing they got....I just need a soundcard....I have all kinds of mixers on my computer....real studios don't even have all of this stuff I got on my computer. So let me get this straight? I need to hear my music properly with good monitors, check them with headphones, mix good using eqs and stuff, use a compressor, then use a limiter. Wow...I got to do some studying. WOAH...After all of these years of studying.....NOW I FIND OUT THERE IS FREE STUFF? I have a Moog.....OMG...it looks like one!!!!! Wow...I got a million free vsts....it's no fun though. Rather make beats in reason.....I can use ALL OF THESE MIXING EFFECTS IN ACID. Wow....my mixes sound better than all of these rooty poots now......but commercial mixes blow me away.....must keep studying.....even though everywhere I read they tell me don't mix on headphones.....I can't carry big speakers everywhere with in and my all in one studio....I AM DETERMINED TO MIX ON HEADPHONES DAMMIT!!!! I WILL EQ THE CRAP OUT OF EVERYTHING ON THESE SONY V6......guy at guitar center told me these are good....this commercial song kick...I can hear it....my kick...it disappears...

Ableton Live

Pro Tools 7
This sucks........%&%*%............%%&%* BUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE YOU BUFFER!!!!!!! Industry standard? BULLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! Must post everywere how much pro tools suck!!!!! OH......I may need a new computer....mine is 8 years old and it sucked even back then....so I'm learning. Pro Tools is kind of cool over my friends house. And everyone else seems to be using it nicely.....I need a computer....I need to let go of this portable studio idea....buy me some speakers. People love my beats but I'm not satisfied. I will be one day. One day I will laugh at commercial engineers from my little set up at home....ONE DAY!!!! HAR HAR HAAAAAAAAR!!! I NEED POWERFUL COMPUTER... duo core.......well......it will get the job done...it's not old yet. 1 gig of ram....I'm moving on up in the world.....1.8 ghz......man....that like 3.2 ghz man...it's a DUO.......TWO.....DOUBLE CORE!!! Hell...my laptop was a 700 mhz...single core.........but I put that thing to work baby!!!! Now should I get an MBOX for pro tools? NAAAAAAH...I GOT THIS NOW.........

Cubase LE
Awesome!!!!!!! Woah.....I got power to do things......dammit......I can only get 13 tracks on this computer....BUT IT'S A DUO CORE!!!!! Got to make this work. I love Cubase....I might get me a Cubase poster on the wall.....Cubase t shirt......coffee mug.........get my lady some cubase panties for Christmas!!! UPGRADE!!!!!!! Now I'm the man!!!!!!! I got plug I paid for, can work reason like a professional....I'm the man!!!!

Reason Essentials

I would get reason 6.........but hell...I got Cubase, if I get Essentials then all I will miss is Malstrom (my favorite synth). But....I still have access to a bunch of RE plugs. DAMMIT!!!!!!!! I got a new computer........Essentials donesn't open my old Reason 3.0 files!!! :( Fooled again by technology.....I'm too deep to go back to the cassette now!

I'm done. I'm forced to buy Reason 7.....so after R7 I'm done. R7 and Cubase 7. I don't need anything else. My imagination can't even think of anything that can be done after what these two things can do now. The problem I hear is that R7 can't rewire into Cubase 6 or 7......IDK.....I tried with essentials. Would be nice.

Time for some sleep now. Coke is no good when you need sleep.

I am a big fan of Reason and have been using it for about 4 years now, but I don't believe its a fully functioning DAW. It is amazing for creating synths, its library and using samples for MIDI, but you can't record directly into the program. Reason is best when it is used as a Rewire with a fully functioning DAW like Pro Tools, Sonar, Ableton Live, etc.

I use Reason 5 Rewired into Ableton Live and it accomplishes everything that I need.

You have to get Record to be able to directly record audio though. If you buy the entire suite with Record, Reason and Recycle then it would be a full on DAW

Last edited:
so does anybody here use cubase? wow i havent seen cubase in at least a few years

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Reason 7 = Reason (old) + Record........ Recycle is a seperate product!

true but now reason does basically what recycle does

I've used almost every windows based DAW possible and even some mac based DAWs as well.

My top 3:
FL Studio 10
Ableton Live/Suite 8
Logic Pro 9 / X

I liked Sony Acid too.

I had the worst experiences with Cubase 6, Reason 5, SONAR, and PreSonus S1

There is my two cents.

IDK about that list. I'd say the first paragraph in my article on the best music production software / daw on 2infamouz sums up the "what's the best DAW" argument:

The word best in regards to Music Production Software is a relative term. It all depends on your workflow and the things you’re trying to accomplish. The best music production software for you might be subpar for other people’s methods and the way they work. Although most of the popular DAWs now offer almost all the same features in terms of functionality, there are some subtle differences among them. The biggest difference I’ve noticed between the top names in Digital Audio are the cosmetic attributes and visual “features”. The way the interface appears is of course not a fundamental part of music production, but I supposed if you’re going to be staring at the screen for hours it might as well be something you don’t mind looking at.

You can say a DAW has some of the most innovative features right now, or works better for certain tasks, but none of them at this point can really be "The Best".

Last edited:
Back