Time to move on? FL to Cubase

adamamosa

I'm considering if it is time for me to push FL9 to one side and invest in Cubase 5.

It has been many a year since I was last a Cubase user. FL studio really took hold of me around version 4 and Cubase was going through its less-than brilliant 'SX' phase (in my opinion). I have tried the Cubase 5 demo albiet it only worked for 4 days! nOt the advertised 30. So unfortunately I didn't really have the chance to get my teeth into it.

I am considering this change because the style of music I create has changed vastly over the last couple of years. It is now less electronic and pattern-based and the VSTs I have slowly been investing in reflect this ( Omnisphere, Stylus, VSL appasionata strings, VSL solo strings The Grand 3 + others). I'm wondering now if FLs workflow is right for me.

My question isn't so much 'Is Cubase good enough' but is it worth ditching all I know in FL, all I have learned, the time-saving tricks, the resourse management tricks... I can pretty much make FL dance in terms of performance, never troubling my system resources dispite having an aging PC now (Intel quad core 2.4ghz, 4 gig ram, xp64,) Latency stays below 30ms. And its so quick to get started on a new project in FL, knowing where to go for what I need instantly. Though this could almost be a drawback in itself - am I getting too lazy?

So basically, after all that I'm just wanting to hear your experiences when moving from one DAW to another, particularly those mentioned.....

Thanks

I wouldn't ditch Fl if you already comfortable with it. I would say that linear sequencing sucks in FL. Don't expect your beats to get better because you will be using the exact same.

cant u rewire fl into cubase? i use cubase cuz my boy put me on it a while ago. I hated fl I guess i don't like the pattern based sequencers. seems like an mp to me.

ur pc is fine for cubase. maybe you can find someone local who has it to let u try it out with their dongle

1. You can make tamplets in Cubase 5 this make start of any production very easy.

2. Cubase is definitely a step forward ( no offence FL fans ;) )

3. Cubase asio performance is really great, so no problem with little older computer.

Nice Cubase vid-> youtube.com/user/FMNxMusic is German but the dude make some crazy stuff with Cubase.

Sonar X1 when it drops in December...and FL Studio can still be a VST inside it if/when you need it to be.

I don't like Cubase that much, and now that Cakewalk has finally uncluttered Sonar with this new upgrade, I think it is tops.

FL Studio would do well to look at Sonar X1's workflow enhancements and take a cue from it. If the features are piecemeal anyway, something Sonar and FL Studio share in common (i.e. improvements feel "bolted on" rather than "integrated", albeit differently, why not base the GUI around it in an intelligent manner the way Cakewalk did? I think it is the best solution. It "integrates" the "bolted on" features in exciting ways.

I hope that all makes sense.

Cubase is a waste of time really, when you compare it with what Sonar has going for it these days.

Cubase is a waste of time really, when you compare it with what Sonar has going for it these days.

Two words: Vari Audio.
Two More Words: VST Expressions.

This new version of Sonar is just as cluttered as ever. Yes, you can mange the clutter better. But its still as cluttered as FLStudio.
In fact, it looks more like Abelton Live, than anything.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be mad at all if Cubase had better window management.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering if it is time for me to push FL9 to one side and invest in Cubase 5.

It has been many a year since I was last a Cubase user. FL studio really took hold of me around version 4 and Cubase was going through its less-than brilliant 'SX' phase (in my opinion). I have tried the Cubase 5 demo albiet it only worked for 4 days! nOt the advertised 30. So unfortunately I didn't really have the chance to get my teeth into it.

I am considering this change because the style of music I create has changed vastly over the last couple of years. It is now less electronic and pattern-based and the VSTs I have slowly been investing in reflect this ( Omnisphere, Stylus, VSL appasionata strings, VSL solo strings The Grand 3 + others). I'm wondering now if FLs workflow is right for me.

My question isn't so much 'Is Cubase good enough' but is it worth ditching all I know in FL, all I have learned, the time-saving tricks, the resourse management tricks... I can pretty much make FL dance in terms of performance, never troubling my system resources dispite having an aging PC now (Intel quad core 2.4ghz, 4 gig ram, xp64,) Latency stays below 30ms. And its so quick to get started on a new project in FL, knowing where to go for what I need instantly. Though this could almost be a drawback in itself - am I getting too lazy?

So basically, after all that I'm just wanting to hear your experiences when moving from one DAW to another, particularly those mentioned.....

Thanks

Well, I was also a long time user of FL Studio and Cubase user. Cubase is my main sequencer. It's amazing in my opinion, but not perfect. But one thing I can say is that the more sophisticated the VST plugins you use, the less well they get along with FL Studio, and the more Cubase shines with how well they work. You may find that features you didn't know existed while using FL Studio, are working in a plugin when using Cubase. Cubase historically had been "the" sequencer that plugin makers used for testing their plugins. Plugins like Hypersonic and Kontakt have always only partially in FL Studio. I can't remember exactly what it was but I had to change a setting to keep them from crashing, and that setting also disabled the multi-channel support. No such nonsense in Cubase of course. But say goodbye to the joy of "starting up in 2 seconds". Cubase is like starting up a Mac truck, but once it's going it's amazingly quick and light. Menus zip around the screen quickly.

I know its been a week since someone post but I will anyway!!
I have and still use fl. rewire into nuendo/cubase . cubase shines more with the speed to do things. i think the workflow is faster in cubase/nuendo. When you load,plugs,vst,vocals and all those track thats where cubase starts to shine.I f you know what your doing you can mix and master at the same time. again dont ditch fl. keep it. I use it as my drum vst and finish it off in nuendo if i start it in fl. thats all -like reason. its just a big plugin to me. Since i know them both i just rewire or dump the track in and finish it.

You can use fl studio as a slave in cubase but you cant rewire cubase into fl Like the person above said fl has one of the best sequencers in the world which is great for workflow but overall cubase is more efficient to me keep both if you can

you can use fl studio as a slave in cubase but you cant rewire cubase into fl like the person above said fl has one of the best sequencers in the world which is great for workflow but overall cubase is more efficient to me keep both if you can

i never said rewire cubase into fl. I said rewire fl into cubase/nuendo.

Sorry read again!!!

Take a look at Presonus Studio One man. If workflow is the name of the game, the GUI's amazing the way it's setup... drag and drop features, no skipping in audio as you add instruments, effects and tracks. You can record without stopping audio to get ready.

I'm in love w/ this DAW lol

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

And not to mention how easy it is to automate controls in S1. I feel like you have to do sooo much work just setting up automations in other DAWs... S1 might be the easiest i've seen, period.
You move your knob... you move the control, and then you press the link button. Done.

Sonar X1 when it drops in December...and FL Studio can still be a VST inside it if/when you need it to be.

I don't like Cubase that much, and now that Cakewalk has finally uncluttered Sonar with this new upgrade, I think it is tops.

FL Studio would do well to look at Sonar X1's workflow enhancements and take a cue from it. If the features are piecemeal anyway, something Sonar and FL Studio share in common (i.e. improvements feel "bolted on" rather than "integrated", albeit differently, why not base the GUI around it in an intelligent manner the way Cakewalk did? I think it is the best solution. It "integrates" the "bolted on" features in exciting ways.

I hope that all makes sense.

^^^ 2nd that

Back