For those who use FL and upgraded from a single/dual core to a quad

KohnWayer

Hey,

I am just wondering how much people's cpu power improved when they made the switch from a single or dual core to a quad core. I am heavy VSTi and Sample user(VSTi and Samples are supposed to have multi-core support), and not a heavy effects user(effects do not have support), and am looking to make the upgrade from a single to a quad core but only want to do so if people have seen FL actually take advantage of multi-cores.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Last i heard FL still doesn't support multi-core processors. And also u need to be running a 64 bit version of windows to even take advantage of multi-core processors. But i don't think FL is coded to take advantage of it yet. Im still using 6 also. Maybe i'm wrong and 8 is capable. Google is ur friend in these cases homes!!! peace!

The most important thing when upgrading your computer is ram. Quadcore's are great. It's what I use but you will get more performance out of faster ram and more of it. Check the max ram speed your motherboard can handle and go for that.

Also faster harddrives are great too. And RAID configuration is faster as well.

Last edited:
^^^ 10,000 rpm is a must 4 harddrives. I JUST COPPED A 64 BIT OS TO RUN SONAR AND FL AND I GOT 8GBs OF RAM IT'S BEEN WORKING WELL FOR ME.

Last i heard FL still doesn't support multi-core processors.
wrong. Up until FL8 only generators were threadable. In FL9 also FX plugins benefit from multiple cores.
The beta 8.5 works like a charm on my i7 quadcore

And also u need to be running a 64 bit version of windows to even take advantage of multi-core processors.
that's also wrong. 32bit Vista or Win7 uses all cores just fine.
Chances are, though, that if you have a quadcore, the processor is a 64bit processor. So it would actually be rather stupid to use a 32bit version of Windows for it.

Chances are, though, that if you have a quadcore, the processor is a 64bit processor. So it would actually be rather stupid to use a 32bit version of Windows for it.

Not when the pro audio market is still pretty much forced to live in 32bit still. I can't use ProTools in 64bit yet so I will be waiting for proper support.

Not when the pro audio market is still pretty much forced to live in 32bit still. I can't use ProTools in 64bit yet so I will be waiting for proper support.
32 bit applications run fine on a 64 bit Windows. There is actually no need for using a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit computer.

The most important thing when upgrading your computer is ram. Quadcore's are great. It's what I use but you will get more performance out of faster ram and more of it. Check the max ram speed your motherboard can handle and go for that.

Also faster harddrives are great too. And RAID configuration is faster as well.

Ram will only take you so far. Especially if he is running a single processor. He probably only has ddr ram...ddr2 if he is lucky.

His processor will kick out before the ram does.

I am vst heavy and I still only use up to 2gigs of ram on my average finished project. I have 3 gigs (32 bit operating system) My processor is a pentium 4 3.0ghz hyperthread. Ram is no problem...processor is hurting.

Quad cores are the way to go for the future. Every DAW will use them in the near future. Many of them already been using two cores like Sonar.

You should be looking at a night and day difference if you went from a single core to duo or quad. Quad you won't notice the difference between that and duo because the programs you use only use one or two cores, but it will benefit from the multithreading.

Ram...you don't need more the 4 gigs. The three gigs I have are ddr. Anything you get now will be ddr2 or 3 which outperforms ddr in speed. If you get 4 gb of ram you must get a 64 bit operating system (get one ANYWAY) to use more than 3gb. Getting more than 4 means you are probably doing video editing as well or at the same time. I've never came close to using more than 3 yet. I will one day, so I'm just going to make sure I have the extra slots to upgrade to at least 8.

Don't buy a computer with outdated technology. Everything will be quad eventually and you will be back in this same position. It's so rare for us to be able to actually now buy a computer that will last 5+ years because of where the technology is at. Take advantage.

Back