Which of those three?

S

Sylenth89

Hi,
I decided to finally bring end to thinking and go with one DAW and learn it inside out. I'll try to be concise and simple and I'll describe what I would want and what not. I do not want you to *exactly* choose for me, but rather direct me. I tried demos of all of the three and now I need just a little push.

I'm thinking between FL Studio, Ableton Lice and PreSonus Studio One.

My knowledge:
Beginner with very little experience in music production. Only very basic music theory. Just pure basics. No knowledge of playing any instrument.

Goals:
Hobbyist production of music. Mainly electronic. Trance, ambiental, psy, happy hardcore...

Equipment:
MIDI keyboard, powerful PC and software.

Platform:
Windows 7 64bit

Budget:
Not important, but very hesitant to spend on any pro gear. As I said, I doubt I'll ever earn 1 $ for my tracks. So pure hobbyist intentions.

I know, and I have read, that you choose one that you are most comfortable with and svoid ones that confuse you. But the point is that I'm comfortable with all of these three equally and all of these thre confuse me in some way. I do not want to use more than one. However tempting it is. But I want rather to master one.

So... There you go. I'm listening to your words :) I narrowed to three... Please advise. End me this nightmarish quest and help me choose right one. After all 200+ $ for investment isn't little and I want to be 100% sure what would suit me best considering info I mentioned. If you want more answers please ask.

Thank you :)

Edit:
I would never use functions for live performance of music. I'm not a DJ and do not plan to be one. Nor would I ever record anything. Would be using only samples and virtual instruments. Well I'd record MIDI if that counts :p

Please only serious answers. I will be grateful on constructive ones :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of those 3 my personal choice would be Ableton Live. You can consider Ableton as being a pretty nifty creative tool in a modular environment, where pretty much anything can be connected to anything. Now this might not immediately make any sense to you but once you have been digging into it for a while you'll see the true potential. It's one big nerdy toy as far as I'm concerned, but not in the way that you couldn't do anything serious with it should you decide to.

I have no experience of Studio One and very little with FL studio. FL studio is all the hype amongst the newcomers, probably because they have seen their favorite producers use it or what ever. That is not to say it's not a great piece of software, if anything it is the easiest daw out of any out there to find information and tutorials about as the Internet is completely cluttered by it.

Live might have some great features for live performance but those same features can simply be used to be creative with and get a good flow going, using its session view to launch clips and build loops before you decide to arrange them.

Depending on what you really want to get out of the software, I don't know where that 200$ price tag is coming from as it's most likely just for the introduction version of the software, if you want to full experience you need to think more closely to 800$.

For me also ableton is the choice .after 7 years work with cubase i switched to ableton and im really happy with that ,very easy to use ,and full features inside ,FL is also friendly and good software,about studio one i never try it.

Ive used the following in this order:

FL Studio
Reason
MPC 2500
Roland MV 8800
Pro Tools
Logic
Ableton Live

....and after years of experience using multiple software/hardware solutions I can whole heartedly say that Ableton Live is the fastest way for me to get a musical idea out as well as fleshing idea out into a full song.

Its whatever you get used to. Im used to working in Pro Tools which is said to be the slowest daw as far as creative workflow. But I rarely even click on anything when I'm working in Pro Tools. Everything is done with keyboard shortcuts so I'm basically typing everything I do. Its fast. My point is, whatever you get used to using is going to be whatever you're fastest in. I know ableton and use it, but I'm still faster in Pro Tools. Ill find myself trying to use pro tools shortcuts in ableton only to end up switching back to pro tools when i get frustrated because of it. Bottom line is just pick one and stick with it, once you learn how to use it it won't matter what anyone else's opinion is. Because the one you pick WILL be the one you work fastest in. You just to need to figure out how to work fast rather than assume that it will be easy right off the start.

Back