Thinking of Switching from FL

Reddux

Hello,

First post here, but anyway, I have been using fl studio for five months now and I am relatively happy with it but I was thinking of getting Cubase or Studio One. Now the only issues I have with Fl is that I notice when my tracks start getting more complex, I feel like I get lost in the interface. Everything moves so quickly that I end up having no clue where everything is. The things that annoys me most is first the pattern playlist. I don't like how it works, because I'm so unorganized that I'll throw pattern 1, an automation clip and an audio clip within one "bracket" or pattern in the playlist. Second I have some issues with the mixer. If i have multiple sylenth's for example sometimes I will link a sidechain to the wrong one etc. I just the find the interface sort of compact, which can be good but now that I'm adding more layers and taking more time on my pieces that everything gets muddled. Especially if I take a break on a song and a week later I pick it back up I tend to have some issues getting back into it, because I get lost.

So basically what I'm asking is do you think these problems justify spending $200 on another DAW?

Thanks in advance.

You've already admitted you're unorganized, so there's a solution to some of your troubles. you have to get into the habit of renaming and coloring your sounds and Vst's in the step sequencer, it will make it a whooooooleee lot easier to manage, instead of leaving it as SYLENTH and SYLENTH#2 etc etc, rename it to the instrument or sound you are using in the VST so you know exatly what it is, do this before you send to mixer to avoid double work. Stay Frosty

You see, you're blaming FL for something that YOU are doing wrong. As said before, you need to keep things organized, name the vsts you use, give them colors, the same applies to the mixer channel to where they are assigned.

IMO, you need to try this first, and see if FL still doesn't suit your needs. And again, IMO, if you are having these issues caused by disorganisation on FL, you'll have the same problems on Cubase, Protools, Studio One...

Okay, so i'll stay with fl and start being more organized. If I still find FL is not the DAW for me i'll try some demo's for other daws see if I prefer them.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hello,

First post here, but anyway, I have been using fl studio for five months now and I am relatively happy with it but I was thinking of getting Cubase or Studio One. Now the only issues I have with Fl is that I notice when my tracks start getting more complex, I feel like I get lost in the interface. Everything moves so quickly that I end up having no clue where everything is. The things that annoys me most is first the pattern playlist. I don't like how it works, because I'm so unorganized that I'll throw pattern 1, an automation clip and an audio clip within one "bracket" or pattern in the playlist. Second I have some issues with the mixer. If i have multiple sylenth's for example sometimes I will link a sidechain to the wrong one etc. I just the find the interface sort of compact, which can be good but now that I'm adding more layers and taking more time on my pieces that everything gets muddled. Especially if I take a break on a song and a week later I pick it back up I tend to have some issues getting back into it, because I get lost.

So basically what I'm asking is do you think these problems justify spending $200 on another DAW?

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely not, not in a million years. Believe me: been there, done that. There is nothing to gain in changing DAW, just learn the one U use for a 100% (or as close as you can get). The main reason for this is that you'l get better over time, and your songs will get more complex. Spending a whole lot of time wondering if changing DAW will do you good, will consume you. Not just worth it. Think of it this way: I know this much about FL, let's go to YouTube and learn some more. Good luck my friend <3

Work on your organizational skills and then if you still feel like FL Studio is not doing it for you then by all means try out a slightly more linear DAW. Even though I use Cubase I still rename and color code my tracks, I don't have any issues with keeping track of them or my routing, I don't have any problems with adding or removing effects....I do recall hearing quite some time ago that Fruity Loops had a tendency to become cluttered with broken shit but surely they would have fixed that by now right? Like what exactly is your routing issue?

So, I'm going to work on my organization skills. If I still feel like FL is not for me I'll try some demo's. The only real thing that annoy's me that isn't workflow or my doing (I don't think so at least) Is how sometimes their will be like ten patterns underneath one for some reason. I have no clue why this happens.

Back