Tempo jumping up and down when I sync to Ableton Live

Rob Bec

Is this supposed to be happening? When I slave Ableton to my MPC I see the tempo in Ableton jumping say from 74.9 BPM to 75.4. Why is this? Anyone know?

Ha, no...just amusing myself, really :) Try slaving some other program to it and see if it happens - if it still does that, then you know there's something funny in the sync signal itself (or the MPC).

I found the solution for anyone who runs in to this problem in the future:

DO NOT SLAVE YOUR DAW TO YOUR MPC.

MAKE SURE YOUR DAW IS YOUR MASTER AND MPC IS THE SLAVE!!!!

TEMPO DONT BUDGE ON EITHER END ANYMORE WHEN I'M SYNCED UP TO TRACK OUT MY BEATS FROM MPC.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I found the solution for anyone who runs in to this problem in the future:

DO NOT SLAVE YOUR DAW TO YOUR MPC.

MAKE SURE YOUR DAW IS YOUR MASTER AND MPC IS THE SLAVE!!!!

TEMPO DONT BUDGE ON EITHER END ANYMORE WHEN I'M SYNCED UP TO TRACK OUT MY BEATS FROM MPC.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I've set my MPC as the master to various DAWs (Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, & Live) in the past with no problems. Don't think this is the issue.

I use to try and sync my DAW with my Motif, but then I completely changed my workflow and never looked back.

Use your MPC like you normally do, and then just record it into your DAW and make all the recordings loops. Once they are loops in your DAW, you can add vst instruments and effects as you see fit.

In other words, take sync out of the equation.

I use to try and sync my DAW with my Motif, but then I completely changed my workflow and never looked back.

Use your MPC like you normally do, and then just record it into your DAW and make all the recordings loops. Once they are loops in your DAW, you can add vst instruments and effects as you see fit.

In other words, take sync out of the equation.

Good post. I actually do use my MPC like I normally do. I just sync up to track out the sounds to the DAW in perfect sync. I retty much have just used DAWs as multitracks, until I found Live. Now I do ALLLLLLLL kinds of crap. LOL Having Ableton Live is like having a second, more advanced MPC (though my MPC 2000XL will LAWAYS be my first love)!!!!!!!!!!

Try lowering the buffer - that's the Official Ableton Solution™ to stuttering tempo when Live's slaved to an external clock...

I'm a Sonar user too, and I find that Sonar slaves a lot easier and tighter to my Motif and MPC 3000. Sometimes I'll sync up Sonar and record all of my individual tracks simultaneously. Once recorded, I open everything in Live.

Live is definitely the place that I want to put it all together, and compose with all my virtual pugins.

Back