Switching to Reason and Reason Pros/Cons...???

Chew_Bear

For all the Reason users...

1. Is the cable wiring / cv control in Reason at all difficult to master/comprehend...?

2. Is the cable/cv control wiring considered a 'godsend'...? i.e. helps with workflow, generating ideas and/or creating new and interesting sounds/instruments...?

Or...is it considered more of a 'roadblock/deterrent'...? i.e. does not help with workflow and generating ideas and for some, does not help with creativity and generating new and interesting sounds...?

3. How is Reason for voice/instrument recording...? I have heard that Reason isn't that good for recording. Obviously most pro bedroom producers prefer ProTools or Logic for professional recording results anyways.

4. How is the sound/output engine quality like...? Some people have said that Reason does not sound good and that the sound quality isn't 'PRO'.

5. How is MIDI controlled and dealt with in Reason...? Everyone knows Ableton is KING when it comes to MIDI.

I am mostly focused on making EDM, Hip Hop, Bass, Dance and Trap type music.

The top 3 DAWS for these genres are Ableton, Reason and Logic. When I first got into music production...I knew it was going to come down to choosing between Ableton, Reason or Logic. Logic's workflow I never really liked and kind of despised. It came down to Ableton or Reason and I chose Ableton. Ableton is what I am currently using and love it.

But...Reason has always 'intrigued' me with its Rack workflow and CV wiring control. Looks very powerful for creativity, workflow and generating new and interesting sounds. Not only that...Reason 9.5 now has VST SUPPORT!!! FINALLY!!!

I am now thinking about 'jumping ship' and going to Reason now that VST support has finally come. I know that I can download the free 30 day trial and see if I like it. But I figured I would get some second opinions on here also.

Last edited:
Hi there Chew_Bear,

i am using reason since version 2.5 and i am working with version 8 at the moment.

1. CV wiring i not complicated at all.

2. In reason there are two cable types: CV and "Aduio". The Audio-Cables are connected by reason automatically and intelligent. But if you want something special you can always alter the wiring.
The CV wiring isn't done automatically but is interesting for controling gates and connection an oscillator to antother device for example. You don't need this to make good synth, but again: if you want something special you may do some cv wiring. For example if you want 2 synthezisers work together you can do this by automation but also by intelligent cv routing. It depends on what you want. A few devices like Matrix will connect its self automatically by cv.

3. and 4. before reason had its mixing area a lot of people could tell just by the sound that a specific song was made with reason. But that is history. The output is fine i think. But if you want you can output every mixer line in a single wave file and master them in another program. Its called mixer channel bouncing and is nicely automated.

5. The midi devices are automatically recogniced by reason. I am using a Korg49 and MAudio Oxygen88 both are very very easy to connect and to use with reason. I must say i've had problems with devices from Novation especially the Launchpad mini.

The Voice and Instrument recording is awesome btw.
If i record voice i put the left and right loop markers in position and record like 10 takes. They are not overwritten by reason but stored in a clip. so you can add transitions from one take to another and its really hard to hear the transition. no klicks no glitches.. everything is very smooth.

I use reason to produce Electronic music, ambient. I also record our Rockband jam sessions with reason.
Also i use reason live on stage with my Oxygen because its very stable.

i think you are interested in the CV wiring and with a little bit of motivation it is really easy to learn.

Just try the 30 days trial and look at some tutorials: the "boyinaband" guy makes really awesome tutorials with reason on youtube. There are also a lot of yood tutorials on the propellerhead website.

Keep in mind: If you open a .reason file that uses rack-extensions (reasons internal vst-like devices) you will just see a "missing device" in your rack if you don't have the specific rack-extension installed.
Reason will then bypass this device like an empty effect.

i hope that helps

greetings :)

Last edited:
Back