Sustain not working on some VSTs in Cubase

jjitter

Hello All,

Although I have been recording for sometime, I am pretty much new to midi.

I noticed that my sustain pedal (CC #64) doesn't work with some VSTs in Cubase. I mean they receive the CC but notes just don't sustain.

I use a few sample libraries from kontakt as well. So was confused if Cubase can only sustain VSTs that support sustain or something like that? Or is it because the samples in the library themselves are not sustained notes? Or am i missing so other setting?

Thank you. Any help will be much appreciated.

Peace

Last edited:
Or rather, Cubase doesn't really do anything here. Your pedal sends CC64 and the plugin receives it - whether or not the plugin is set up to do anything with said CC is another thing...

This is actually kind of a benefit- you can often set your sustain pedal up to do other things than sustain, for example you could add effects much like a guitarist stompbox or modulate a synth filter

This is actually kind of a benefit- you can often set your sustain pedal up to do other things than sustain, for example you could add effects much like a guitarist stompbox or modulate a synth filter

Yeah, you can hook it up to any CC-modulatable parameter if you want to.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes i do use other CC nos. for other parameter, but kept the pedal on 64, since some vsts were already pre-configured to receive sustain on 64 .

Although I still feel confused about one part. For e.g while using sample libraries which load in a vst like kontakt, is the sample library supposed to be sustain capable, or the kontakt vst?

Last edited:
The library needs to have been programmed to react to sustain. You can try this with your own samples to see how it works.

thanks @krushing for you patience with my amateur questions. Because your answer gave way to another question in my head.

So is there anyway that I can program a library to react to sustain? Or is that something only the manufacturer can implement while making the library?

Theoretically, yes, unless the libraries are somehow protected from editing. Commercial libraries can, of course, be dauntingly complex in how they're built up, but basically it could be as simple as turning up the release of the amp envelope...theoretically :) There's not going to be a super easy way to make a professionally-programmed acoustic instrument library to "simply sustain" in a natural fashion, but you might be able to cook up something that works for you.

Back