Software and Hardware

L

lilbigblue

I don't want this thread to turn into a flaming session over what's better, software or hardware. I was just wondering what people would suggest for software and hardware sequencers:

I've heard that Reason 2.0 is pretty darn good as far as software sequencers are concerned.

I have also been told that a good cost efficient hardware sequencer would be a Yamaha RM1X.

What would you all suggest? I'm a complete newbie and on a relatively tight budget. Any suggestions, reviews and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Ray

I think your best bet is to look at your needs. Arguing over whether hardware sequencers are better than software sequencers or not is a waste of time. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. To furthur confuse the issue, some sequencers have other functions built in, so it's very important to assess your needs or what you want to do first, and then decide on what will best acheive your goals.

Some questions to ask yourself are:
What type of music do you want to make? You don't have to get picky, since there's not much difference what you need if you either want to make melodic trance or hard trance. But it does make a difference if you plan on using a lot of recorded tracks (vocals, guitars, etc), or stuff like that.

Are you looking for something primarily for composing in the studio, or jamming on stage? Most sequencers can be used for both, though there are definate advantages to using hardware on stage (no crashes, no computer to lug around, no latency, easier to turn knobs than move mouse), just as there are advantages to using a software sequencer in the studio (easier to upgrade, typically more power, easier editing, plugins, etc).

What other equipment do you have? If you have a room full of synths, you'll want something that can control all of them. This isn't really a hardware vs software issue, since every sequencer has different features. However, sequencers like Cubase and Logic have almost limitless tracks (depending on the version) and can support whatever MIDI interface you have, while hardware sequencers only have a limited amount of devices they can support, unless you buy more hardware like midi mergers and such.
If you don't have any other equipment, then you'll want to look into more integrated sequencers. the RM1X has some sounds, though I hear you grow out of them fast. Reason can probably hold you over for a very long time. All the big-name software sequencers support plug-ins now, though Cubase's VST's seem to be the most popular and plentiful.

How do you work? Some people enjoy the power that computers afford them and can sit at the desk for hours pointing and clicking with their mouse. Others enjoy the handson feel of hardware sequencers and feel they can provide a lot more inspiration than a computer monitor. Some people need the editing capabilities of a keyboard and 21" screen, others are perfectly happy with LED's and a tiny screen. That's entirely your decision.

You also want to take into account studio space: most people already have a computer, so getting software won't take up any more room. Computer issues, like compatibility, crashes, CPU power can easily eat into valuable composing time, so that's a plus for hardware. Budget definately plays a role too.

Hardware sequencers:
Yamaha RM1X
Akai MPC 2000
Korg Triton and any other keyboard workstation
Older sequencers that you can find on ebay

Software sequencers:
Cubase
Logic
Cakewalk
Protools
Fruity Loops
Buzz
Reason
Tons of freeware and shareware apps too

Hope this helps!

hardware/software

i have recently ditched my software (cubase/logic) anfd replaced
it with a second hand yamaha qy700 seqencer.
after dropping it on my foot, which hurt a lot, it still worked and does everything i wanted my software to do.
it was 5 years old and look brand new.
i updated my pc to run cubase more efficiently, only to have it crash and playback unreliably.
i decided not to take the advice to upgrade further or change to a mac, as i dont actually find the extra menus and functions offered with software improve the music .
i was far more productive when i used an atari running pro 24, or was programming a drum machine.
the qy700 boots up immediately and records and plays back reliably, which is all i was after.
a second hand unit weighs in at around 275-300 pounds uk, and around 7 1/2 pounds if you want to drop it on your foot.
i record my audio at work, but will get a digital 8 or sixteen track for home soon which should total up at under 1,000 punds.
if reliability , simplicity and speed is for you then i recommend hardware.
it will still work in 20 years and will probably be worth more than any software you will have lying around.
as you can tell, i don't rate software over hardware, mainly due to experience, but have found that software is best incorporated into proprietry systems.
when you find yourself matching hardware controllers / interfaces/ software / memory / etc. it all becomes self explanatory.
regards

Jeff

Re: hardware/software

couldn't have said it better myself.

jeffb said:

it will still work in 20 years and will probably be worth more than any software you will have lying around.

i think this is a big point that not many people bring up when discussing hardware/software. people lust after 20-30 year old equipment (look up roland 909, moog, juno on ebay if you don't believe me), yet i doubt i could get 5 bucks for my copy of cakewalk 6.0, which is barely 6 years old.
with hardware, you're getting something tangible, but software is just a bunch of 1's and 0's. and unless the entire computer paradigm of the last 50 years changes, those 1's and 0's will be replaced by better 1's and 0's faster than you can say cost recoupment. (is that a word?) :)

Back