Slowly drifting to Reason.

Mr Teddy

Hey, maybe its only me...but ive slowly started to learn Reason, [I'm a 100% patriotic FL studio User] and am starting to like it and feel like i should just un-install FL studio...yet im not 100%.

can anyone relate to this or give me advice about this?

and no, i dont want to re-wire any bullshyt. I want to go with Reason but i cant leave the piano roll and step sequencer and the VST's i bought. But also im in love with reasons stuff and the workflow feels kind of realistic and also the sounds:cool:

peeace, thanks fam.

I am on the same page as you bro. I still sometimes find myself going back to FL studio because it was how I started. But I think Reason is def the way to go but keep FL I find sampling a lot easier when using it.

fruity loops is much more powerful than reason because of its expandability through plug-ins. i work with reason because the workflow that it offers suits me and i really enjoy.

working with reason rewired in plogue bidule is the perfect combo for me.

although i use reason i still like to keep up to date with other programs so i like to try out the other daws from time to time. i constantly had a flstudio demo on my laptop so i just ended up buying the program (free updates for life is worth it). i've done a couple of tracks in it but i prefer working within reason, but that's just my personal opinion.

for me personally the things i would miss if i was moving over would be the step sequencer, the superior piano roll, and obviously plug-in support.

tbh plug-in support doesn't bother be THAT much because i like to keep things streamlined. i have countless freeware VSTs and VSTis on my computer and it's just a mess because i like to be focused and work with certain tools. the step sequencer thing again doesn't bother me that much because well i'm used to redrum now and i actually prefer it. as for the piano roll i am again just used to the reason piano roll and i can work comfortably and quickly using it.

just curious, but what features would you most miss if you moved totally from flstudio to reason? i don't use flstudio that much so i'm not really a "power user" and probably don't take full advantage of the program.

why not just keep FL and get reason also? you could always rewire reason into FL and use them both.

just curious, but what features would you most miss if you moved totally from flstudio to reason? i don't use flstudio that much so i'm not really a "power user" and probably don't take full advantage of the program.

Having used both (Reason user first, then later a FL Studio user), here's what I miss most when I go back to Reason on the odd occasion:

1. Sytrus - There's no equivalent in Reason.
2. Workflow - This is really my primary issue with Reason.
3. Wave Traveller - There's no equivalent in Reason.
4. No VST support - Not so much when I'm working on hip hop, but when I'm working on Detroit Techno, Electro, or something like that, I like to use V-Station and Pro53 a lot. I can't do tht within Reason.
5. FL's Mixer - Yup. The default mixer in FL Studio is more functional than the one in Reason. The 3 band parametric EQ is a godsend, and if I need more control, I can load an SSL strip in on each channel (VST support's trump card).
6. Sample support - I have a grip of ESX, Battery, and MPC samples that I can pull directly into FL Studio's Direct Wave sampler. This simply cannot be done in Reason... EVER.

and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I have a few old tracks I did in Reason that I've started replicating in FL Studio and so far I've been able to do ok with it, eventually I'll never have a reason to look at Reason again.

I have been using Reason for about 2 years now and have tried the VST route but nothing seems to compare to Reason's Rack and how it operates with the sequencer.

OutsourcedBeats dot com

I don't understand your problem. You already have both programs. If theres things you like in each program, don't trip just rewire.

Reason sucks as a standalone. It is a GREAT sound source but NOT a great DAW. Reason integrates very well in programs where all you need is the recording and VST hosting and use Reason as a sound source like Pro Tools or Reaper.

I use them both,
Sometimes i will start a beat in Reason and switch to FL Or Vise Versa. or Rewire.

The work flow in both are great. just depends on what your tryna create and your individual artist vision. This conversation will never be solved however, people always feel like something has to be more Superior than another.

Could anyone explain how to rewire FL Studio to Reason? I love the workflow in FL Studio plus i can use all my VSTs but the soundquality is weak it sounds like "plastic" after exporting the finnished mp3 file. I want to track out my beats to Rason, then i want to mix/eq it.

Having used both (Reason user first, then later a FL Studio user), here's what I miss most when I go back to Reason on the odd occasion:

1. Sytrus - There's no equivalent in Reason.
2. Workflow - This is really my primary issue with Reason.
3. Wave Traveller - There's no equivalent in Reason.
4. No VST support - Not so much when I'm working on hip hop, but when I'm working on Detroit Techno, Electro, or something like that, I like to use V-Station and Pro53 a lot. I can't do tht within Reason.
5. FL's Mixer - Yup. The default mixer in FL Studio is more functional than the one in Reason. The 3 band parametric EQ is a godsend, and if I need more control, I can load an SSL strip in on each channel (VST support's trump card).
6. Sample support - I have a grip of ESX, Battery, and MPC samples that I can pull directly into FL Studio's Direct Wave sampler. This simply cannot be done in Reason... EVER.

and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I have a few old tracks I did in Reason that I've started replicating in FL Studio and so far I've been able to do ok with it, eventually I'll never have a reason to look at Reason again.

i work mainly on fruity loops for getting my ideas down, but I've dabbled a lot with reason, and over the lsat few weeks propeller-heads Record.

I have to say that the work flow is not as great as FL and the sequencer is horrible, but once you set up templates it does greatly increase.

Also in reply to your list.

1. Combinator alone is way better than Sytrus, and Sytrus has very crappy sounding sounds anyway.

2. Workflow as i said before, but i agree

3. Not sure what wave traveller is? Would be nice if you let me know.

4. I suppose reason's alternative is Refills, but yeah it would be nice, but you can rewire into other sequencers.

5. Agree again with the mixer, although FL's mixer sounds **** in comparison to Reason and other DAWs. Record's Mixer sounds crisp, and I've been bounces my FL tracks to Record lately.

6. Sample support. Redrum for WAV. Dr Rex, NNXT, NN19. all very capable. Granted they should package Recycle free with reason, but its a minor. Also with record you can bring audio files directly in and see them ala FL style.

Could anyone explain how to rewire FL Studio to Reason? I love the workflow in FL Studio plus i can use all my VSTs but the soundquality is weak it sounds like "plastic" after exporting the finnished mp3 file. I want to track out my beats to Rason, then i want to mix/eq it.

There's no such thing as sound quality in a daw. If anything, turn up the sinc depth for exported files and work on learning how to mix because I can get some damn good mixes in FL Studio.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as sound quality in a daw. If anything, turn up the sinc depth for exported files and work on learning how to mix because I can get some damn good mixes in FL Studio.

maybe, but there must be a difference. comparing a/b does make a noticeable difference. Bounce stems down, then put them in each and you will hear what im talking about.

i work mainly on fruity loops for getting my ideas down, but I've dabbled a lot with reason, and over the lsat few weeks propeller-heads Record.

I have to say that the work flow is not as great as FL and the sequencer is horrible, but once you set up templates it does greatly increase.

Also in reply to your list.

1. Combinator alone is way better than Sytrus, and Sytrus has very crappy sounding sounds anyway.

No it isn't. Sytrus deals in SYNTHESIS (a strange FM Hybrid), Combinator does no synthesis on it's own, you should know that already.

I create patches in all of FL's synths as well as the stuff I pull in via VST and DXi support. If you think Sytrus' included sounds don't sound good, then you can make better sounding stuff in it. Unlike most people these days, I'm not afraid to actually program sounds, I don't rely on "refill" type samplesets.

3. Not sure what wave traveller is? Would be nice if you let me know.

Wave Traveller is an extremely accurate scratch simulator. Go check out my track "How To MC" to see how real it can sound. (soundclick.com/konceptg)

4. I suppose reason's alternative is Refills, but yeah it would be nice, but you can rewire into other sequencers.

Refills are no replacement for actual synthesis. It simply doesn't compare. With VST's, you can have new forms of synthesis, new signal paths and the whole nine yards. Refills don't give you that.

5. Agree again with the mixer, although FL's mixer sounds **** in comparison to Reason and other DAWs. Record's Mixer sounds crisp, and I've been bounces my FL tracks to Record lately.

we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I find FL's mixer just as good sounding as Cubase SX3's and Sonar 7's. Since I only use ProTools to export sessions for hip hop tracks, I can't say whether it has a better sounding mixer or not.

6. Sample support. Redrum for WAV. Dr Rex, NNXT, NN19. all very capable. Granted they should package Recycle free with reason, but its a minor. Also with record you can bring audio files directly in and see them ala FL style.

And it still doesn't support patch and sample data from nearly as many formats as Directwave. Directwave supports not only Reason's sample/patch formats, but the following:

DirectWave currently supports the following formats:
Samples
WAV (all types)
ACM decoder support (ogg).
Programs

To open the importer right-click on the Program tab in the Library window.
AKAI AKP (S5/6K,Z4,Z8)
Battery (Version 1, 2 & 3 banks)
DWP (DirectWave Program, native format)
EXS24
Giga
Kontakt / Kontakt 2
Kurzweil (off DOS disk)
MPC (off DOS disk, not 1000/2500/500 series)
Reason NN-XT (any association with a Refill can't be loaded)
Recycle
SoundFont2
SFZ

NNXT is a good sampler, but because Prop's didn't give it the ability to read other patch/sample formats, it's not nearly as good a tool as it could be.

Wave Traveller is an extremely accurate scratch simulator. Go check out my track "How To MC" to see how real it can sound. (soundclick.com/konceptg)

Wow thanks. It doesn't sound perfect but I don't have any decks and have been wanting some scratch effects.

Wow thanks. It doesn't sound perfect but I don't have any decks and have been wanting some scratch effects.

it can be made to sound better... a LOT better. You just have to spend a lot of time learning to program it and experimenting with it. I recorded that track during the course of a 2hr bus ride to work. It was the very first time I had ever used Wave Traveller and I think the results came out good (the track DID get placed with an MC from Tucson, AZ)

Back