Should I stick to Reaper?

erik93

Hello guys
I use Reaper, free.

I guess its not the best software around but what are your opinions of it?
Is it worth it to swtich and learn a "better" DAW?

If we are speaking about the quality of the actual outcome of the audio.
Maybe its not a big difference.
I like its user friendlyness though

I love Reaper.
I've used Cubase, Logic, Protools, Sonar. Something about Reaper get's my creative flow going.
Which made me think, it's not really any specific quality of DAW that any singular person enjoys, but an entire combination specific to their experience.

Depending on the shape of your audio journey and the variables which make up your identity, you'll find a specific DAW more appealing than another.

My advice would be to search and try other DAW's, use there limited demo license if they have one, to test them and see if you like them.
You might not find anything that you like better than reaper.

Your Reaper can do anything any other DAW can do.
It's not the tools themselves, it's the operator and how well they function with the tools VS how much skill they have and how well planned their project is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys
I use Reaper, free.

I guess its not the best software around but what are your opinions of it?
Is it worth it to swtich and learn a "better" DAW?

If we are speaking about the quality of the actual outcome of the audio.
Maybe its not a big difference.
I like its user friendlyness though

I use REAPER and I paid for it.

The only downsides are the lack of decent synths and samplers, plus the ugliness of the stock effects. Grab a couple of third party vsts and you have a great DAW.

Reaper is 100% my favorite free DAW. I have to say that the plugins are look really horrible. But, the good side of them is that they're easy to use and understand. In comparison to some of Logic's (a paid DAW) plugins like Space Designer, they are much better because you can actually use them.

My music did improve when I switched to FL, but it was more because it was easier to use audio clips well and I could sidechain is an easy way. You can work around on some things Reaper can't do, but Reaper is still a viable option.

i use Reaper along with FL and think its a great DAW, still have a lot to learn about it but have made a few tracks on it. i use it mostly for recording, sampling and audio editing.

Stick with Reaper. like others have said it can do what all the other Daw's can do. the only downside i see is no stock sounds. get you a nice sample library and some 3rd party instruments and you should be good to go. the stock plugins are ugly but get the job done. i think there are some GUI faces for some of them if you look around if im not mistaken.

If you're feeling completely uninspired, sometimes a change can be good. Although it is true that Reaper can in fact do everything another DAW can, what is interchangeable is how it can do these things. Because making music focuses on these human aspects of life, sometimes a change is needed just as much as a specific EQ is needed for a specific task and so on, so forth.

The upside is all DAWs have pretty much the same things, just in different places. You can round down probably about 5 things you like that you need in another DAW for good workflow.
That's for me anyway. Just figure out these things, make a list, then when you try a new DAW, search the list in google accompanied with the name of the DAW and you'll be able to make music in no time, tailored to your specific workflow and taste but in another DAW.

That's just something I like to do, everyone has their preferred method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back