Setting up Redrum to restart a sample after hitting the same pad again

Tonie Hock

I dont know if theres a name for this, but ill try to explain,

I have redrum connected to my padKontrol, now say I got a long sample, maybe a bar or two in length, and when im playing the padkontrol, if i hit that sample again, instead of stopping the playback and restarting it, it puts a new instance of it on top while the other one plays out, so it sort of echos until the first instance plays out.

I would like it to just cut the first one and start over.

I found a setting that made it so that a sample only plays as long as i hold the pad down, but thats not exactly what i want either, because it requires me to sit there and hold it like a piano key

Thanks for any input!
oh, and im using reason 4 on a mac.. dont know if that is important to know or not.

Last edited:
The problem is the Polyphony. In the NN-XT sampler you can load samples and change the polyphony to 1. That means only one instance of a note can be played at a time (this works with the Subtractor and other instruments as well). As soon as you trigger a note after the first one, it will interrupt it (because only one instance of a note can play at a time). Unfortunately, Redrum doesn't give you that option so each sample has to play out its full length. I use ReDrum for the drums (only) and if I want to trigger loops or samples I use the NN-XT or Dr. Rex (with Polyphony set to 1). Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the reply, that does help, although its not what I really wanted to hear ;) haha

Strange they left the option out or redrum, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would find it handy, especially for doing something like a live show where I wanted to actually play a whole beat by hand, ohwells!

thanks again

Strange they left the option out or redrum, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would find it handy, especially for doing something like a live show where I wanted to actually play a whole beat by hand, ohwells!

thanks again

Something I have told the developers many, many times.

Thanks so much for the reply, that does help, although its not what I really wanted to hear ;) haha

thanks again

Just an idea...Once you construct the parts to a song and you feel like its mixed well, draw out each piece by itself in the sequencer (drums by themselves, bass, samples, etc). Export as a wave file. Then, go back to ReCycle and chop up all the pieces again and save as a rex file. Now you can load all the chunks into a Dr. Rex or NN-XT and jam away with your MIDI controller live with all the pieces on one instrument. This would work well for live performances and you can have a unique performance each time.

Dang that's a great idea, I'll deff mess with that! I was thinking I would have to learn and use some other program like ableton to do live stuff, wasn't too stoked on doing that, learning reason is enough already lol, but this is a good work around

Back