Sequencers, what does everyone have?

P

PHILFINITY

Hey guys I am currently messing around with a pirated version of cubase and not sure if I like it or not. I was just wondering what everyone is using on their computers to sequence external midi intsutments and internal soft synths, why they choose the program, and why they like it (or dislike it). Shoot away people.

Well, I use Buzz, but I don't have any external hardware. I like it cause it does everything, and I know my way around it, and it's free. I might change once I get money, but that won't be happening for some time now.

Cubase SX

why: well...... because a friend gave me a pirated version when I just started out; later when I decided to buy a sequencer, I stayed with Cubase because I knew my way around it by then, and learning a sequencer is not the most fun part of production (you don't 'like' a sequencer, but you do need one).
More objectively: if you're on a pc, Cubase is certainly the most pro all in one (audio & midi) package, and still has the best VST implementation (important if VSTi's are you're main sound sources); if you're on a mac, oh well there's always Logic of course.... :rolleyes:

DP3 rules

I use Digital Performer and Logic on a Mac, and for me DP3 is the most intuitive thing out there, Logic is great but its too cryptic for me but I use both because of the different plug ins, some features are better in logic some are are better in DP3 but as far as midi timing goes DP3 is the tightest thing I've ever heard

I love Cubase SX. Cubase SL is fine too, and much cheaper (for basically the same thing).

still on Cubase VST/32 5.1 ...

but as I see there are nothing but good critics on SX, I think I'll change to Cubase SX very soon...

SX is their latest version (the succeeder of VST) - with as far as I know a quite new interface and some major improvements like bug fixes (no more freezes etc.) and more features

Last edited:
RS7000 + Sonar 2.1 XL

Works for me.

I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews about SX though, but i'm not about to learn a sequencer all over again (for the third time!!!).

I'll start by saying I'm a Mac user.

Well, I purchased the Logic Big Box a few months ago to try and get into a more traditional sequencer (I had been using Reason).

Logic felt as though it worked hard to alienate me. Everything about it's interface screemed foreign, from how menus responded to clicks to how navigation worked. Launching Logic felt like booting into a custom OS just for music -- enveloping and completely different.

I recently got a chance to play with Digital Performer and almost immediately went and bought a copy... DP blows me away.

I must say, I've never used Cubase or Nuendo, but I've messed with both Sonar and ProTools Free and nothing I've seen is as quick to move around, as intuitive or as powerful as Digital Performer.

To me, my sequencer is the most irritating necessity in my environment. They're all monolithic and enormous. My sequencer has to be the least intrusive, most supportive tool in my arsenal. Digital Performer does just that. ;)

Digital Performer all the way for mac. You can't beat the submillisecond MIDI timing. It has the tightest timing out of all sequencers and the plug-ins are great. I originally started with Cubase so I was reluctant to relearn a sequencer. However I'm so glad I did. DP-3 is a dream. The nice thing about it is that you can do non-destructive fade-in and fade-outs. What I remember about Cubase 5.0 is that once you performed a fade out, you couldn't undo it down the line. In DP-3 you can delete your fades. Also the bounce to disk feature is nice. Say you have a track with too many effects going, you can bounce the track to another one and then delete the track with all the effects to save processing power. Also the new multiple undo branched history in DP 3.11 is very useful. Can you do these things with Cubase SX? I know you couldn't do them with 5.0 and I wonder if they changed all that yet.

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:
Digital Performer all the way for mac. You can't beat the submillisecond MIDI timing. It has the tightest timing out of all sequencers and the plug-ins are great. I originally started with Cubase so I was reluctant to relearn a sequencer. However I'm so glad I did. DP-3 is a dream. The nice thing about it is that you can do non-destructive fade-in and fade-outs. What I remember about Cubase 5.0 is that once you performed a fade out, you couldn't undo it down the line. In DP-3 you can delete your fades. Also the bounce to disk feature is nice. Say you have a track with too many effects going, you can bounce the track to another one and then delete the track with all the effects to save processing power. Also the new multiple undo branched history in DP 3.11 is very useful. Can you do these things with Cubase SX? I know you couldn't do them with 5.0 and I wonder if they changed all that yet.

I can do all that in Sonar 2. I assumed they were basic functions on all sequencers.

Back