Saving MIDI Mapping in Ableton Live

Kavie

a.k.a. Bishop Jackson
Okay. I recently starting using Live for Rewire and track out things that I've made in Reason. I want to use the controller knobs on my E-MU Xboard25 to control Live's track faders, pan, etc. Is there a way that I can save the MIDI Mapping settings to be used with every project without having to set them for every new project I start? Is there a set MIDI control channel/number set for specific faders/knobs? This way being that I can set the controls on my controller to match those in Live or would I have to do it the other way around?

I didn't find anything that said I could in the manual and I also did a search of this forum and didn't come up with anything.

start with a new Live session, go into midi map mode and map ur track faders to the knobs/sliders on ur controller (search midi map mode in the help menu if you have questions on how to do this), then go into the pref>file folder> save current set as tamplate. also, you may wanna go thru the built in tutorials, keep the info view open until you get more familiar with the program, and refer to the help menu when you have questions, (the search function in there works wonders)
LevLove

Last edited:
Saving Ableton MIDI Mappings

So you can not save MIDI mappings without saving it with your default template. This was very frustrating when I found this out the hard way, I spent an hour mapping hundreds of MIDI parameters to lose them all once I reloaded the device!

MIDI mapping is becoming an complex art in itself so not being able to save multiple sets of mappings without having them open every time you open a new Ableton set is annoying.

Your thoughts are appreciated,
Mickmon

So, if I understand this correctly, if I have 8 tracks on my controller, I would need a default template with 8 tracks with the mappings saved? Would it matter if they were midi/audio tracks, or can I change that later without having to remap the controller?

What about in VST plugins like NI Massive? Is there a way to save those as well?

Thanks

Back