Sampling in Logic...Thumbs down

kidgorgeous said:
Man, this has got to be the gayest sh*t. I wish i would have bought Ableton. Anybody got any tips? I don't care how many Youtube tutorials I watch, my computer is not acting the same way than what's in the videos. For one, this tap tempo is extremely screwed up. I start tapping then the sequencer turns on and then starts moving in increments with no tempo changes. And don't even get me started on how many screens I have to go through to make this miracle happen. Why can't I tap along to the sample as it's playing and have the tempo adjust like any normal program?

Strip silence is garbage, so basically I go to autochop and then try to bring my chops in the EXS. First it tells me the file name is too long, and after about a million clicks for each chopped piece it finally dumps it in the sampler. Yippee. But now it won't play.

Love the sounds and the loops and whatnot but this has got to be the most ass-backwards program i've ever dealt with. And I know how to work FLStudio, Ableton, Reaper, Cubase, and Sonar. Smh

see if this helps. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/782497

yeah i agree the sample chopping is kinda wack. But everything else is so dope that i deal with it. Also i like to use samples in the exs 24 because there is so much stuff you can do with a sample. You can do alot more than alot of other programs. So for me its all about control. I'll take the time and chop. Once you learn it, it becomes fast.

tempo adjust

Kidgorgeous,it u want to find out the tempo of ur sample u must first loop the section u want then open it up in the time machine of logic.it will tell the tempo of the sample there.Another way is to download a version of acid pro,open ur sample in this program,it will show u the tempo in that program as well as adjust it to what ever u want it to be.Besides why r u trying to determine the tempo anyway.if u open it up in the time machine in logic u can adjust it to what ever tempo u want.If u like I can walk u thru it all later if u want jus hit me up when u get ah chance.

As far a chopping,u can forget about it in logic.It takes way to long,besides if u get recycle,ur problems r over anyway.U jus save em as .wav or aiff,and load them into the exs24 and u good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you're talking about loops, you can chop loops using Logic's knife tool directly in the sequencer. If you have a loop which is already sync'd to tempo, there's a key command which will chop that loop into predetermined sections like 8ths, 16ths, etc. It's actually a key modifier combination with the knife tool. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I discovered it by accident while slicing audio parts with the knife tool.

I think L.A. is describing how I chop in Logic...I thought it would be very difficult but it is actually easier in Logic than it was for me in Fruity Loops...and looping/chopping/stretching to fit to tempo can all be achieved in the sequencer in Logic without even using the sampler..I'll try and get a video up soon to show how easy it is. Once I learned that Logic and it's learning curve has become minor..

This is the reason I still use Reason(pun intended). I want something with the functionality of FL Studio on a Mac. Logic didn't cut it in the sampling dept. I might as well start making beats in Pro Tools before I jump to that. I still gotta try Ableton Live, I'm just too used to what I have.

EDIT: Damn, this is an old thread.

Last edited:
Ableton is super great at chopping...............and everything else.

ONE program = Great workflow. Don't take my word though...I'm wack.

This is the reason I still use Reason(pun intended). I want something with the functionality of FL Studio on a Mac. Logic didn't cut it in the sampling dept. I might as well start making beats in Pro Tools before I jump to that. I still gotta try Ableton Live, I'm just too used to what I have.

EDIT: Damn, this is an old thread.

so you think...but i've got FL Studio on my macbook and it runs fine! hit me with a message and i can tell u how

thats a bummer. i used logic, it was complicated, so i went back to reason haha

I hear Logic is a very, very deep program. It is so deep it has the tendency to confuse a lot of people.

If Audio editing is Logic's only weakness, you might want to consider investing in a good audio editing program.

Most DAWs (Sonar, Live I know for sure) allows you to open an external Audio editing program.

Wavelab or Adobe Audition would probably be good programs to look into if Logic allows you to open an external editor.

If you go Live, you will lose all of Logic's cool instruments and deep midi editing functions (unless you use Live as a rewire slave).

Live would get expensive to kind of match what logic offers, you would need something like

Live
Komplete
Max for Live

to get on Logic's level in terms of instruments and deep midi editing.

Last edited:
If Audio editing is Logic's only weakness, you might want to consider investing in a good audio editing program.

If you get logic studio rather than just logic pro you get soundtrack pro with it. You can then just select an audio file in logic and hit shift W to open the file in soundtrack.

I like it and think it's quite seemless and works for me, although i have no idea how soundtrack pro compares to other programs in terms of quality and benefits etc.

Press slash as the sample plays and chop it like an MPC. Re-align your slice points if you're not happy with them and then drag into the ESX editor. Easy. I've never been a fan of autochopping.

I feel your pain though. Logic is deep. I'm slowly learning it, and I like it much better than Cubase. The ONLY beef about Logic I have right now is the damn Midi Assignments getting lost if Logic crashes. There is no export midi assignments or anything like that. They need to fix this, and Logic 9 is out and still no fix for it.

To me, Ableton seemed kinda weird. I admit I haven't sat down to try and learn too much in it but everything was small and tucked away and hard to read... and green haha. For recording, I turn to Logic. Learn to love it and embrace it. If it doesn't suit your workflow though, there is no way around that, switch software.

I've been on logic right after 9 came out. An yes I too have struggled to figure out the best way to chop samples. But low an behold I found it as easy as adobe auditions. Make two audio tracks. Add the wave you want to chop on the first track. Highlight the part you want to chop, and drag to the track underneath. Do that for each chop. Then highlight all chops and create a midi track from the chops. It can't be any easier than that. Much better than Recycle to me. Just adding my two cents. Hope I can help somebody.

...chop samples... Make two audio tracks. Add the wave you want to chop on the first track. Highlight the part you want to chop, and drag to the track underneath. Do that for each chop. Then highlight all chops and create a midi track from the chops.

Just to clarify for the sampling dudes... you do the highlighting with the marquee tool. And ya, the marquee tool gets a big thumbs up from me too.

i also have used nearly every daw goin including fl studio, sonar, reaper, pro tools, reason, acid, samplitude, live, and more

i know use logic very often as they use it as there main daw at the music collage i enrolled on.

AND LOGIC IS THE WORST DAW I HAVE EVER USSED, BY FAR!

i had herd so much hype about logic and i am very disapointed, i'm guessing the only reason it is ussed at ATM (my collage) is because of the sneaky apple sponsorship deals that go on (mostly in europe) were apple give macs and coppys of (THE SHIT DAW KNOWN AS) logic to studios and music collages knowing full well that students will feel compelled to buy macs and (stupidly) versions of logic. Then having lernt to produce on logic they will belive it is in some way better then other daws (WHICH BELIVE ME IT IS NOT! ITS A BUG RIDDEN PEICE OF SHIT) and then these x students will go around like apple rep zombies speading the word about logic perswadin other brainless idiots to use logic.

ITS A SHIT DAW, I HAD HERD SO MUCH FEKKIN HYPE ABOUT LOGIC, ESPECIALLY ON HERE. AND I REALLY AM NOT FEKKIN IMPRESSED!!! WE HAVE NOT GOT THROUGH A LECTURE YET WERE THE TEACHER USSES LOGIC IN FRONT OF THE CLASS IN COLLAGE WITHOUT A MAJOR CRASH AND LESSION HAVING TO BE STOPPED and we have had more the 10 of these type lectures, very very unstable daw! shit workflow, lacks many modern day features including some very important for simple tasks like sampling.

DO NOT BELIVE THE LOGIC HYPE!

Back