Sampling with Logic 8.

xkrnmikelx

im pretty new to sampling and i was wondering if my way is efficient or not.

i find a song i like, cut the parts out i like with audacity, export as a WAV form, than i slice the sample using recycle, than i use it in logics sampler.

is this way an okay way to sample or is there a different work flow i can try out.

thanks.

i sample in garageband, its prolly not the best option, but its what i've come to do efficiently...i time stretch in audactiy, and then chop in gb and play out the sample, while using drums in logic at the same time, then combine them together

xkrnmikelx said:
i find a song i like, cut the parts out i like with audacity, export as a WAV form, than i slice the sample using recycle, than i use it in logics sampler.

do the exact same here, i find its the best way to get precision cuts on your beats right on the transient

xkrnmikelx said:
im pretty new to sampling and i was wondering if my way is efficient or not.

is this way an okay way to sample or is there a different work flow i can try out.

thanks.

why not just use logic instead of audacity?

you just grab the top part of the region i think its either the top or the bottom i cant remember right now .... you may have to hold alt when when you do it just toy around with it but its just like resizing a region when you grab the far right corner and drag it time stretches .... you ever read your logic manual? it tells you how to do it in the manual...

also macprovideo.com has some of the best videos on logic... ive learned so much from them like whenevery you are playing keys in logic it is being recorded and you can use a key command to make it pop up on the sequencer after you play it ... i dont remember the key command off hand cuz i havent tried it yet but i was sooped when i saw it in the video and dude did it i gotta go back to that video and write down the command i usually take notes but i was watching it on my phone

Last edited:
i pretty much use the same method...chop up samples in audacity then i just load them in the exs24 sampler..if you want a quick way to do it you can drag a sample in logic then hit control + x while the audio is highlighted and this will do strip silence and might take out the parts you dont need.... oh yea time stretching is done by using the green bar at the top but just make it the length u want the audio then click audio->adjust region length to locators.

Last edited:
EXS 24 is your friend. And the Sample Editor in Logic. There is no need for any other program.

Here are the two ways I do it:

1. The Just Blaze Method- You can chop in realtime with the \ key.

Take your chops and throw them in the exs24 and you got a new sample instrument. Kinda like a MPC in the MPC.

Search Just Blaze logic on youtube and it should pop up.

2. Put it in the sample editor. I came from FL so I was used to Edison and it's very similar. Highlight the part you want and then edit> add to new region. It will now show up in your audio bin and you can drag and drop that sample into the arrange window.

Hope that helps you. If you need any help with anything else, just hit me up.

i used to chop up my samples in audacity and then load them up in logic, now I just use logic completely,
I chop up the sample into regions,
convert the region into new audio files and clean up each sample individually, then just load them up in the ex24 and then I got a new instrument to mess around with

and on a sidenote, to time stretch just hold option while stretching the end of the audio/region

also another tip, once the region has been stretched to fit inside a bar/beats exactly (using time stretch, or the scissor tool), go to region and choose the option add to apple loop library
that way any changes in tempo will be adjusted to the loop as long as follow tempo is checked

Last edited:
aye whats up ya'll...i have a ?..how do i use a rex file that i chopped with recycle in logic how to load it and all that.i've been trying all day kinda has me puzzeld..any help i greatly appreciate it..

It's gotta be an AIFF file unless you rewire Reason into Logic.

EXS 24 is your friend. And the Sample Editor in Logic. There is no need for any other program.

Here are the two ways I do it:

1. The Just Blaze Method- You can chop in realtime with the \ key.

Take your chops and throw them in the exs24 and you got a new sample instrument. Kinda like a MPC in the MPC.

Search Just Blaze logic on youtube and it should pop up.

2. Put it in the sample editor. I came from FL so I was used to Edison and it's very similar. Highlight the part you want and then edit> add to new region. It will now show up in your audio bin and you can drag and drop that sample into the arrange window.

Hope that helps you. If you need any help with anything else, just hit me up.

So I've tried the second method you spoke of. I'm having an issue with the sample editor as well as the time stretching. What I want to do is put a song in (most commonly a videogame song) and select a 4 bar loop out of the song, stretch it to the tempo of my project and slice it into 4 separate slices that I can load into the sampler. However I having issues with the time stretching. When I alt>drag the sample to manually stretch it to locator it just reverts back to the original tempo, when I select audio>time stretch to locators it does nothing. :banghead:
I put the entire song into logic, used the sample editor to select the section I wanted and added that section to the bin, placed it into the project and attempted to stretch it but nothing happens.
what am I doing wrong?????

Back