Running FL Studio inside of another DAW for drums

AmpleSoul1

I would like to use FL Studio, specifically it's browser, to quickly scroll through my different drum packs & then send each drum hit to a mixer channel for separate EQ, where I would trigger them using the FPC drum plugin using my master keyboard controller, the Akai MPK249.

But for sequencing & recording software & hardware synths, I would like to use either Reaper or Cubase, because they have a legit punch-in & pre-roll system for both play & record modes.

So if I were to try & run FL Studio like this, inside either Reaper or Cubase as the host DAW... would the different drum parts/channels in FL Studio show up in the host DAW as separate channels or would they all be merged into something like a single track. (kick from FL Studio=channel 1 in Reaper / Snare from FL Studio=channel 2 in Reaper, etc.)

Also, if I wanted to hear whatever else I have sequenced inside the host DAW, along with my drums from FL Studio, would I have to hit play first in the host DAW, then switch to FL Studio & play my drums? If I only hit play inside of FL Studio, I would only hear whatever I had goin on inside FL Studio, correct?

Last edited:
Everytime I read questions like this I wonder why nowadays kids just don't try things but start a forum thread. In cases like this it takes less than half an hour to get the answer.

idk about kids, but I'm an adult & I currently have no way of trying this. I'm having PC trouble with opening .exe files.

This setup is something I've recently seen & would like to know about it from those that have tried it. If I could test it out myself, I would.

Everytime I see a reply like yours phonetics, I wonder why you take the time to type a useless comment & act like you know something you don't. get off your high horse & stop acting hypocritical (kid.)

He was indeed not much help to you. But I am sort of in the middle when it comes to these types of questions myself but I keep in mind, that this area is the exact place to be asking these questions. Most daws allow what you ask.

You can use FL as a VST plugin in VST host or connect it as slave via ReWire with another DAW. In both cases 16 stereo channels are available and the transport functions of FL are synced to the other DAW.
btw. I'm into music production for nearly 20 years now and I'm maybe old enough to be your father, dude :D

Back