The Right DAW for me

thesoloist1914

Paradom Beats
Hey all this is Paradom again. I actually have a huge question that I hope you all can answer. I recently just bought a Macbook pro 13.3 in retina display. with 120gb ssd. I was a heavy Fl Studio user for the past year but my last computer died and I haven't been able to make a beat for about 4 months now. I heard that Apple Logic Pro X was a good DAW to use for Mac so I went ahead and downloaded it but noticed that the DAW was kicking my ass. My question is do I need to buy a midi keyboard just to use Logic? Or is there a way to get around it until I get a midi keyboard. Also I was wondering if someone could also point out which DAWs are better for what things. Like I hear that FL studio is good for music with heavy synth usage.

Hey, congrats on the machine and buying Logic. You can absolutely use it without a MIDI controller. I recommend it, but if you don't have one you can press command+K to bring up a mini keyboard you can play from the keyboard on your Mac. Command + K will open and close the keyboard. You can also click on it with the mouse if you want.

I often use the pencil in the Piano Roll editor to add notes, especially if I'm programming beats.

Also, if you have an iPad, you can download, for free, the Logic Remote app which includes several different types of input options including drum pads, keyboard, chord strips, etc.

Back