reFX Nexus 2 & Thoughts

ChrisOh360

Everybody knows that Nexus is one of the most popular VSTi programs used by up-and-comers and seasoned producers alike. It has a large library of presets & expansions, seemingly high-quality sound, user friendly GUI, and modulations that make it a nice program. However, it is being criticized for having presets that sound "one dimensional and carbon copy-like". Personally, I just think that people aren't taking advantage of it's features. They just use the presets as they are and don't do anything else with them. I mean it's not by any means the greatest VSTi I've ever used but nonetheless it is a pretty nice program. Umm what are everybody else's thoughts on this? You don't have to agree with me (even though that would be great LOL), just tell me what your stand is on this.

Sound synthesis is too complicated for the average beatmaker (i.e. me). Its much easier to double click on a random preset and hit random keys until something you like shows up. IMO Nexus is a decent and somewhat inexpensive VST for any level of producer.

I guess I agree lol.

You have to learn how to tweak a sound. It's... really not hard... Too many people tryin to be a producer in the game to not be able to make yourself different somehow...

You have to learn how to tweak a sound. It's... really not hard... Too many people tryin to be a producer in the game to not be able to make yourself different somehow...

You can tweak it a little through good mixing (apply effects, EQ) and layering, but for the most part you can't do much; namely, the wavelengths involved in the presets. Still, great program though for what it is.

That's real. I haven't looked at this particular program too, so I can't comment much. I do know most VSTs and software allow for some tweaking, like wavelengths, ADSR, LFO and such, but this one might be more stiff on settings, I wouldn't know.

Look... people are way too harsh on Nexus (probably because of the price, which is understandable. For that price... you would want it to do literally everything imaginable.)

But for what it does... it's one of the best in my opinion. Nexus is a rompler. It's not a synth like many people want it to be. Sorry... it's just not. The same way Reason isn't a DAW. Nexus is a computer equivalent to a keyboard workstation. You can go on stage with Nexus and have almost everything you need in one package (except drums). It's great for production because it sounds good out of the box without much work, and it has everything. If you don't like all of the reverb and delay (I sure don't), just turn it off or lighten it up (tweak it, ha! pun intended). Since it's not a synth... why would you want to tweak so much anyway? You don't tweak the hell out of piano, guitar, string, etc. You don't need to tweak the hell out of the leads & basses in it, b/c they are standard sounds. That's the entire point. You don't tweak keyboard workstations as though they were synths. Just find the one that you want and play it. Nexus isn't meant to provide unique sounds; it's meant to provide standard sounds like a workstation should.

If you need to tweak a sound... there are hundreds of synths out there for you that are way less expensive. Don't go bashing Nexus b/c it's not a tweakable synth.

My opinion is that for what Nexus is, it's one of the best at it. It's one of my go-to instruments because of that. It's also amazing on CPU.

Last edited:
You can tweak it a little through good mixing (apply effects, EQ) and layering, but for the most part you can't do much; namely, the wavelengths involved in the presets. Still, great program though for what it is.

Actually you can tweak it to where you don't need any further fx. Just need to change the volume knob for the mix.

I personally am in love with sound design. It's a huge part of my love for music. I try my best to get the sound as best as I can get it in my head inside of the vsti or instrument itself before I add external fx.

Saves on cpu too...

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Look... people are way too harsh on Nexus (probably because of the price, which is understandable. For that price... you would want it to do literally everything imaginable.)

But for what it does... it's one of the best in my opinion. Nexus is a rompler. It's not a synth like many people want it to be. Sorry... it's just not. The same way Reason isn't a DAW. Nexus is a computer equivalent to a keyboard workstation. You can go on stage with Nexus and have almost everything you need in one package (except drums). It's great for production because it sounds good out of the box without much work, and it has everything. If you don't like all of the reverb and delay (I sure don't), just turn it off or lighten it up (tweak it, ha! pun intended). Since it's not a synth... why would you want to tweak so much anyway? You don't tweak the hell out of piano, guitar, string, etc. You don't need to tweak the hell out of the leads & basses in it, b/c they are standard sounds. That's the entire point. You don't tweak keyboard workstations as though they were synths. Just find the one that you want and play it. Nexus isn't meant to provide unique sounds; it's meant to provide standard sounds like a workstation should.

If you need to tweak a sound... there are hundreds of synths out there for you that are way less expensive. Don't go bashing Nexus b/c it's not a tweakable synth.

My opinion is that for what Nexus is, it's one of the best at it. It's one of my go-to instruments because of that. It's also amazing on CPU.

So true. Nexus isn't really a synth...it's a rompler like you said. There is a lot less you're going to be able to do with a rompler vs. a synth. But for it being what it is, I think it's great.

Alot of people dont use the features like stated above.
& Some nexus sounds still have reverb and delay even after disabling them both.
Nexus layered with (insert synth vst of choice) will definitely make a unique sound you just have to be creative.

Overall i think nexus is amazing.
-2cents

Back