Record MIDI from external keyboard connected through MIDI in on USB interface

mspirit

I connected my yamaha clavinova to reason instrument (combinator - Five Meter Piano, but it doesn't matter).
Connection scheme:
Yamaha MIDI out -> MIDI in (on Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 (Firewire) or on M-Audio Axiom 25 (USB))->
-> Reason:Edit-Preferences-Sync-External control-Bus A->selected correct input.
In Advanced MIDI device in Reason rack I found the right MIDI channel for input and select the instrument.
Instrument made sound and works perfect. When I switched on a Rec source on instrument mix channel I could also record sound produced by the instrument into additional audio track.

But I need to record just MIDI signal from external Yamaha keyboard for later instrument changing.
In a short way: I need use this Yamaha keyboard in same way as standard Master keyboard connected through USB.
Is that possible in Reason? Should I change connection of the device or something else?

Thanks a lot and I am very sorry for my terrible English.

In the control surface area of the preferences, what have you chosen as a controller?

I don't think there's any issue with reason or your connections. Reason can very much do what you want and the midi cable is supposed to be setup exactly like that.

Last edited:
In the control surface area of the preferences, what have you chosen as a controller?

I don't think there's any issue with reason or your connections. Reason can very much do what you want and the midi cable is supposed to be setup exactly like that.

Problem solved. Thanks a lot for your response about Control surfaces.
I've changed a connection, now I switch off Sync option, and Add new device in Control surfaces - Manufacturer: Other, MIDI Keyboard (No control), and everything solved. Now I'm using Yamaha keyboard as proper Master keyboard and I can record MIDI from this device. :berzerk:
I can't believe that is so simple :rolleyes:

Back