Reason's SSL Mixer

D

dontmess

Just a quick question..

Whats everyones opinion on the SSL mixer which is included in Reason.. is it any good? better than the old 14:2 mixer?

Also, how does it compare to say the mixers in Cubase, Sonar X1, Logic, Pro Tools etc..

Lastly just how good is the Master Bus Compressor on it, as Propellerhead seem to really love it and treat it as a must have.

I look forward to your responses

Better than the 14:2 mixer? That makes me wonder if you have taken a look at it yourself or watched any reviews at all.
It's nothing like the 14:2 mixer. The 14:2 mixer is having a cheap mixer comparable to a cheap dj mixer that manages some channels and some send and returns.
The SSL console is like having... an SSL console ;)
The master bus compressor is very good on it. Combined with the individual compression per channel, it's just amazing.
Haven't been using another DAW for years, so I wouldn't know exactly how it compares. It wouldn't amaze me if it'd be the most powerful console out there atm.

If you have the time, watch these:

Some shorter stuff:
Using the Mixer - YouTube
Propellerhead - Reason - The Mixer

I'm too big of a Reason fanboy to be objective in any way about it. What I can tell you is that I love Reason 6. The mixer mostly makes that. We had it in Record before, but than you separately had to have Reason and/or Record. This always seemed stupid. Than for 6, they just jammed those together and that totally made sense. Since 6, I think you can fully look upon Reason as being a DAW. Before that , you had to have Record and Reason and it still missed some features.
With rack extensions around the corner, it's even gonna be better than the step from 5 to 6.
Some complaints about Reason are the Reason sound and the lack of VST support. IMO, Reason sound is something that happens to ppl who don't understand sound engineering and sound synthesis. That's another discussion, been discussed on the forum a lot as well. Even one or two discussions going right now. Just use the search function if you're interested, but tbh, it's a waste of time and time can be spent a lot better watching Garry for instance, giving you some wonderful insights. On the VST support, imo, Reason doesn't need VST support. Reason's always been big on sound design. So quality sounds are more limited to what you can do than what Reason can do.
In short, Reason does it all for me and I wouldn't wanna change!
The mixer is a gem and I can't wait till the fellas at Reason make Reason even better!

Last edited:
Best mixer out. Especially if you have a 47 inch widescreen or two 24 inch wide screens and one for the mixer by it's self.

Best mixer out. Especially if you have a 47 inch widescreen or two 24 inch wide screens and one for the mixer by it's self.
I agree with this for the most part though I think Sonar's Pro Channel gives the Reason SSL a run for its money. The Pro Channel offers a lot of different modes and you can buy different plug ins for it though a lot of that stuff from the Pro Channel are also offered in 3rd party plugs as well. If you are a Reason owner then upgrading for the SSL is a no brainer imo.

The Old mixer was modeled after the Mackie 1202 / 1402

The new one is modeled after the SSL 9000.

Not saying that any one of them compare to the readl product at all.
I also have not sat to compare it to any other emulations from different DAWS claiming to have the "SSL" sound.

What I will say is that, it does sound better than the old Reason Mixer, and I have found a good use for it, routing and shaping wise that was not as easily accomplished in previous versions without the extensive use of combinators and multiple mixers.

In shiort - "I Like It"

sorry to gravedig this thread, but just a quick question for anyone with time to help out....

when you say that the new SSL Mixer is "better" than the previous 14:2, is that in regards to usability (convenience, ease, etc) or the actual sound you get from sending your sounds to it?

im considering purchasing Reason 6.5, mainly for the SSL Mixer (bc of the extra sends you can configure, unlimted channels, and the hopes of a better sound).

Im still on Reason 5, and i've got MClass tools (eq, compression, etc) and effects running all over the place when im mixing down a track.

If the SSL Mixer is just a matter of convenience, and I can achieve the same 'sound' (no matter how inconvenient) with the 14:2, then I may stick with my inconvenient rack setup.

thanks in advance FP fam.

The sound is very different on the SSL emulation vs the 14:2. The 14:2 sounds horrible in comparison to just about every other software mixer out there.

this definitely helps my decision. thanks for the info!

anyone else out there have an opinion on the matter?

The sound is very different on the SSL emulation vs the 14:2. The 14:2 sounds horrible in comparison to just about every other software mixer out there.

Yeah, the 14-2 mixer is merely a spider merge if you ask me and can't really be compared to the SSL mixer. The SSL offers you so much more. Compression, EQ'ing, the sends and return, dynamics, signal paths, the sends. Having mix channel per instrument, combinator, whatever. And that's only the SSL mixer. If you like 5, you gonna absolutely adore 6.5 , there's no question there, I promis you that.

Why is it better

1) Actual E.Q.
2) Individual Channel Compression
3) Master Buss Compression
4) More sends and returns
5) Ability to use each channel as a channel strip (like on a real large console mixer)

You can load presets or create your own custom chains for each channel rather than be forced to route everything through a few limited rigs.

So to answer your question, its both: Workflow and Sonic Improvement.

Let's not start one of many ... vs ... discussions. If you want, you can use the search function to find them.
Better to just download the demo versions and see for yourself, pick one and put hours of practice in it. GL making your choice.

Let's not start one of many ... vs ... discussions. If you want, you can use the search function to find them.
Better to just download the demo versions and see for yourself, pick one and put hours of practice in it. GL making your choice.

if your talking to me last time i checked you cant get the demo of pro tools... i already have reason but i dont have pt to check out myself... thats why i asked...

if your talking to me last time i checked you cant get the demo of pro tools... i already have reason but i dont have pt to check out myself... thats why i asked...
There is no right or wrong answer. Reason is set up so the mixer is a sound shaping tool, with the ability to add effects. Protools mixer only controls volume, pan, sends returns. There is no EQ or compression. To use that, you must open plug-ins. Its routing in some cases is more straightfoward than Reasons meaning it could seem to have a better work flow depending on what you prefer personaly. Once plug ins are in the equation both Reasom & PT, are a good fight to watch.

If you're a dedicated Reason user, or you're looking for a great DAW to make music without having to do a whole lot of work outside of that program, Reason 6.5 is a must have. The SSL emulated mixer has compression and filters at your fingertips that are embedded in the channel. The send tracks add more effects to your arsenal. It's easy to make bus tracks if you want them, sidechaining makes a lot more sense when you can see how it routes when you flip the rack around. Not only is the sound better, it's a really good teacher if you're not familiar with mixing like that.

There is no right or wrong answer. Reason is set up so the mixer is a sound shaping tool, with the ability to add effects. Protools mixer only controls volume, pan, sends returns. There is no EQ or compression. To use that, you must open plug-ins. Its routing in some cases is more straightfoward than Reasons meaning it could seem to have a better work flow depending on what you prefer personaly. Once plug ins are in the equation both Reasom & PT, are a good fight to watch.

Thanks for the reply thats the answer i was lookin for...

Back