"Reason" Vs "FL Studio" Sound Quality....What Do You Think?...

wuts good fp fam?.....i started makin beats in 2002 on Fl Studio, But i switched to "Reason" in about 2006 and have been using it every since.....but i was getting tired of using tha same refills, so i decided to make a beat in "Fl Studio" today and use vsts....The beat was ok but when i exported it and listened to it, the sound quality just wasnt as crisp as wouldve been in "Reason"....i dont know if its just me or if im just tripping...lol..wut do u think?

It comes down mainly to what sounds you are using in each program and your mixing abilities.

Both programs are capable of achieving great sounding beats but being totally different programs, different approaches will be taken.

There are a whole bunch of people out here making tight studio quality beats with FL Studio, (likewise with Reason).

The main key is just picking/creating the right sounds for you tracks, arranging your tracks nice, and proper mixing/mastering.

It comes down mainly to what sounds you are using in each program and your mixing abilities.

Both programs are capable of achieving great sounding beats but being totally different programs, different approaches will be taken.

There are a whole bunch of people out here making tight studio quality beats with FL Studio, (likewise with Reason).

The main key is just picking/creating the right sounds for you tracks, arranging your tracks nice, and proper mixing/mastering.

cosign :cheers:

I did the same like you messed with FL in 2002 and made the reason switch in 2006. I think the MClass stuff does alter the sound a bit, but not in a bad way. It kind of sounds filtered. I dont use much of either these days. Usually between Daws i don't notice a difference or its not really questionable, but with reason I do an so do others. This has been discussed a lot. You always will get what you put in as the end result. So if something doesn't sound right, fix it the way it should sound.

The sounds...

Well I can say FL comes with various vsts with lots of effects already in the presets, reason you might find a few effects with the combinator patches, but usually your more closer to a naked sound in reason. Me personally i think its easier to sculpt the sounds and start from a mix that isn't so busy to start with...referring to the effects.

Last edited:
I did the same like you messed with FL in 2002 and made the reason switch in 2006. I think the MClass stuff does alter the sound a bit, but not in a bad way. It kind of sounds filtered. I dont use much of either these days. Usually between Daws i don't notice a difference or its not really questionable, but with reason I do an so do others. This has been discussed a lot. You always will get what you put in as the end result. So if something doesn't sound right, fix it the way it should sound.

The sounds...

Well I can say FL comes with various vsts with lots of effects already in the presets, reason you might find a few effects with the combinator patches, but usually your more closer to a naked sound in reason. Me personally i think its easier to sculpt the sounds and start from a mix that isn't so busy to start with...referring to the effects.

Yeah I think one of the main things about Reason that some people hate is that a lot of times you are forced to have to create your own sound.

Although there are some great Combinator patches the majority of the presets are dry untweaked sounds.

The majority of these sounds are looked over but in actuality are great sounds that just need a few effects on them.

On other DAWs I typically cringe when I need to add effects because I will usually go to the biggest/baddest VST compressor/reverb I have and after a few instruments my CPU load go up and I am forced to freeze. And I really don't like composing while I have to think about overloading my CPU as well.

In Reason I can keep adding effects/instruments to my hearts desire.

A lot of times in the end my Reason beats come out sounding more processed and mixed than my other DAW beats.

ok...im back, and after 2 weeks of creating this post and working in FL and REASON, ive decided that its just tha mixer is TOTALLY different....im getting better with my mix's in FL, but it is still not as good as my mix's are in REASON....probably because ive been mixing in REASON for the past 4-5 years...lol

Wat up beats r us. I am gonna offer a crazy idea, if u think i wanna jack ur beat just say so and i wont bother

Zip the fl project and upload it then pm da link, or email to mondeanna@gmail.com if smaller than 25mb...drop a list of out of the box plugins you used, more specifically instruments...i will use fl effects so u aint gotta bother urself with external and cpu heavy plugins...if i do use anythin not native, it will be freeware only.

From there, we can have a dialoge where we discuss what i did and more importantly the principles behind it. Just note though that most of the time i only mix with headphones, so instruments like rhodes' and wurlies tend to be mixed loud, but nothing a two minute speaker reference cant fix.

I hope u still got reason, cause i may rewire the two for da sake of instruments...i prefer that to sounddfonts, synths and otha romplers.

I may in the next couple of days get the opportunity to upload a beat from scratch so u aint gotta feel like i wanna jack ur beat...be aware though that i mainly sample...

FL Studio user here, never had a problem with the audio quality.
I like the colors in FL Studio, they make your eyes relax and you can concentrate on listening instead of having a bright user interface, but that's just me :P

is there a vst kind of like the M Class Mastering Suite?....i have T Racks 3, would that be enough?...
T Racks 3 would be enough, good monitoring will help you the most with what you have.
Other plugs worth considering imo are Izotope Ozone, PSP's Neon HR, Vintage Warmer and all of their compressors.
Wave's limiter
Cytomic's the glue compressor.
etc... :)

it's funny cause i've been using reason for about 4 years now and found it to be very versatile so i haven't thought of switching programs since i got it but i see these new producers coming into the game and there using fl studio with no keyboard (lex luger) so that makes me wonder if fl studio is better or not, this is actually the first time i even thought about fl studio program being comparable to reason. i guess fl studio goes allot farther then the free version i got years ago

it's funny cause i've been using reason for about 4 years now and found it to be very versatile so i haven't thought of switching programs since i got it but i see these new producers coming into the game and there using fl studio with no keyboard (lex luger) so that makes me wonder if fl studio is better or not, this is actually the first time i even thought about fl studio program being comparable to reason. i guess fl studio goes allot farther then the free version i got years ago

FL Studio is as good as the plugins you choose to use with it so in that respect it's better than Reason. I know there are a lot of Reason lovers out there but with FL Studio you've just got more options than in Reason and you can rewire Reason to FL Studio in case you want to use both.

Reason is the most stable sequencer I've encountered though.

FL Studio is as good as the plugins you choose to use with it so in that respect it's better than Reason. I know there are a lot of Reason lovers out there but with FL Studio you've just got more options than in Reason and you can rewire Reason to FL Studio in case you want to use both.

Reason is the most stable sequencer I've encountered though.
thats not really a good point though because Reason is as strong as your refill library and your own programming skills. Thats not to say that either one is better but they are different. If you are just diving through presets then you are limited by that with any software Reason is designed to give you a lot more flexibility with your sounds. If you are good with making sounds from scratch then Reason is completely limitless.

i just rotate now...ill make a beat in Reason, then the next beat in FL, etc.....only reason i even thought about switchin back to FL was because of the VST support...

Out of all the people I worked with I had the chance to use the popular daws. I can say if you can get comfortable with the daw and lay the beat down and know how to use the fx. Your beats should sound no different. The person who makes the beat is still an artist, the person who mixes or masters the beat is still an artist. When you use your creativity to showcase your vision that's all in "you" and not the daw. The initial sound will never sound just how you want it in the end unless you put in the work. All daws I know come with stock audio effects for you to use. Just take the time and get to know them.

I know alot of you guys are gonna hate me for this reply but....unfortunately not every D.A.W has the same sound. Its not so much of a different sound but each def has its own "colour".Neither is "better" its just what you prefer.Now for those of you that don't mix and are avid FL Studio users,I would recommend 7. I actually use 10 ,but 7 has such a cleaaan sound out of the box ,even without mixing (I'll bet money on it :D). So anyways on that note ,I wasn't putting Fl on a pedestal or anything like that,if you guys have multiple daws pull up the same exact wave file in different D.A.Ws and you will hear the diference. PS:dont try to find the difference if you dont have a good sound source (in other words ,if your using garbage headphones,cheap monitors,home theater,etc...)

With FL you can achieve the same quality of sound like Reason, but the only difference is you have to do a little more tweaking to your sounds using FL Studio..but you can def make anything sound top notch using any daw, but you just have to know what ur doing

Back