Reason Users Finally get 3rd Party VST Options for Reason 6.5...

as20gp

Ghoul Gang
kinda..

the concept of Rack Extensions. Reason has reached out for companies and developers to develop VSTs and 3rd party extensions that can work fluidly within the Reason Rack.

Who knows what may happen. There may be a Nexus Rack Extension, an Ozone Mastering Rack Extension.. who knows which companies believe that this is a good investment.

I already bought Reason 6, so the upgrade to 6.5 is free.. i know they already got Sugar Bytes on board which is dope, so we'll see who else bites.

A lil arrogant move from Propellerheads but at least theyre addressing issues that their fans want finally.

heres the link
Newspages

This is great. People will never be satisfied though.....like me for example. I would rather have the opposite....I just want to swing a Dr.Rex and a redrum around my Cubase environment so bad without the whole reason rack being rewired.

I don't really know if this is a good idea. You kinda pay money for a rack and can't use it anywhere else. I mean if I buy a vst it comes with other versions for rtas, au etc. so I can basically use it anywhere. If its Logic, Pro Tools or Cubase. With those Rack extentions I'm stuck with Reason.
I think the best solution for Reason users is to buy Reaper (cuz its cheap) and Rewire Reason. You can use all your favourite vsts and effects with that combo.

I don't really know if this is a good idea. You kinda pay money for a rack and can't use it anywhere else. I mean if I buy a vst it comes with other versions for rtas, au etc. so I can basically use it anywhere. If its Logic, Pro Tools or Cubase. With those Rack extentions I'm stuck with Reason.
I think the best solution for Reason users is to buy Reaper (cuz its cheap) and Rewire Reason. You can use all your favourite vsts and effects with that combo.

RE versions would be an included version to the already RTAS, VST, AU, ect. It's more of a good move for developers like Wave, NI, and a load of new developers. People who wouldn't buy before would probably buy now just for an RE version (especially the people new to reason). It really benefits new developers who specifically makes a plug in for Reason.

What would really benefit props IMO is them selling their plugs in a package. The only reason I like Reason is because of a few plugs that I have learned to use. So it would make life just a little easier to use those by choice without wires.

I was reading up on Reason 6 (I'm still on 4), and I was like "hmmm...Reason records audio now??"

Then I saw that ReCord was no longer on the product list. I :cry:'ed

I was wondering how long it would take for that whole closed system combo of Reason/Record to fail.

But honestly, I only use Reason as a glorified VST anyway. I Rewire it straight to Cubase, and use it just as I do any other VST.

Not really sure why more people don't work like that. But I guess for some people, Reason is their only sequencer.

RE versions would be an included version to the already RTAS, VST, AU, ect. It's more of a good move for developers like Wave, NI, and a load of new developers. People who wouldn't buy before would probably buy now just for an RE version (especially the people new to reason). It really benefits new developers who specifically makes a plug in for Reason.

What would really benefit props IMO is them selling their plugs in a package. The only reason I like Reason is because of a few plugs that I have learned to use. So it would make life just a little easier to use those by choice without wires.

word, yea i think its not like Reason exclusive plugins as much as just a plugin that could work extremely well within the reason environment just because stability is a huge part in reason's success

but if i could get a good mastering VST option and something from ReFX or Kontakt into Reason.. it would be a GREAT thing, especially with the dope additions they put in Reason 6

i think the only reason why Propellerheads hasnt packaged off its plugins liek Redrum and stuff like that is because those dope lil plugins are some of the few reasons that people stay using reason.

Once Prop. really breaks out reasons full potential and gets real stable, i can see them dropping off a pacakge of ReDrum/Dr.Rex/Thor plug ins. They gotta keep some things exclusive to reason just so people can still go out and purchase (or acquire lol) Reason

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

I was reading up on Reason 6 (I'm still on 4), and I was like "hmmm...Reason records audio now??"

Then I saw that ReCord was no longer on the product list. I :cry:'ed

I was wondering how long it would take for that whole closed system combo of Reason/Record to fail.

But honestly, I only use Reason as a glorified VST anyway. I Rewire it straight to Cubase, and use it just as I do any other VST.

Not really sure why more people don't work like that. But I guess for some people, Reason is their only sequencer.

lol yea Record was a silly idea, thats why i didnt even bother with it, i think Propellerheads is trying to get people to see Reason as a legit DAW and shake off that glorified VST stigma. Hopefully it isnt too late

ive used a bunch of different things and i still love Reason to death, almost switched to Logic but just the familiarity of it all i cant ditch, ive been using it since pretty much version 3

I figured out how to work it as a standalone but eventually I started rewiring everything. At least get 5 upgrade, Kong and Octorex are the shyt!

I think Alligator is the ish...

run some backing drums through it... turn 'em down... get a whole new feel.

I do the same thing with the filter delay in LIVE... those songs never get posted though.

So it's nothing more than a glorified expansion?

For example say I have VST A that works with any DAW, I would have to buy the Reason version of the same VST?

Just trying to get a clear understanding.

For example say I have VST A that works with any DAW, I would have to buy the Reason version of the same VST?

reason will support plugins such as nexus and kontakt but they wont be vst format but something else

You would buy the REASON version if you choose and you would still be able to rewire REASON to your favorite DAW and use the REASON version of that VST and the REASON version would be rock solid.

So you'll still "kind of" be able to use the REASON version in another DAW... just via rewire.

... i think.

BUT! since you can't rewire INTO Reason, you'll still be limited.

Like if you had Ozone 5 in a REASON version... you probably wouldn't be able to get the sounds from your HOST DAW to use Ozone 5 in REASON... (unless you ran the master channel out to Reason and then back into the HOST DAW... but that wouldn't make sense...)

It will be good though... somehow. Even if it just expands your sound library...

Last edited:
reason will support plugins such as nexus and kontakt but they wont be vst format but something else

Right that's what I thought. So you would need a special Nexus version for reason. Which IMO defeats the purpose, at least for those who already have the VST's. Why buy another just so you can use it IN Reason?!

But if you are starting out and have no VST's I guess it would be cool.

Propellerheads should've just made a glitzy looking VST Wrapper that would let you know the error occurred in the VST if REASON crashed.

People are going to be hanging around waiting for their favorite vst's to "make it to REASON"...

I doubt if all of the other VST makers are going to stay up until the wee hours of the mornings to bow down to Propellerheads and scramble to create a REASON VERSION.

Still... it's a good thing no matter how you look at it.

i believe if you already have the plugin purchased and registered, you'd be able to just download the RE version of the plugin

also i think its more so calling for exclusive development for products

you wouldnt exactly be getting Nexus, you'd be getting a different VST from ReFX.. maybe with like 10-20 sounds that you can use within Reason, streamlined for the reason environment

i think theyre looking for custom exclusive things to lure more people into using Reason that have fallen inlove with certain companies like Izotope, Native INstruments, and ReFX

its not like theyre saying oh you have Nexus, so buy another version of nexus just so you can use it in reason, that would be pointless

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Propellerheads should've just made a glitzy looking VST Wrapper that would let you know the error occurred in the VST if REASON crashed.

People are going to be hanging around waiting for their favorite vst's to "make it to REASON"...

I doubt if all of the other VST makers are going to stay up until the wee hours of the mornings to bow down to Propellerheads and scramble to create a REASON VERSION.

Still... it's a good thing no matter how you look at it.

word im sure some companies, especially smaller dope ones would hop on the opportunity to be part of the first couple extensions

It means you won't get any Waves plugs until waves upgrades and includes the format. It also means that a developer can create "FREE" plugs with the extension. Which is great.

When/If ReFX, N.I., Crysonic, and iZotope come out with a Re. . .I will drop the $500.

Back