Reason Users Finally get 3rd Party VST Options for Reason 6.5...

logic stole me away from reason..too many dead ends in reason, havent found any yet in logic.

If I had two monitors, I'd still be a REASON user.

Workflow is still the biggest draw.

How about a 46 inch?
Westinghouse VR4625 46 Class LCD HDTV - 16:9, 60Hz, 4000:1, HDMI, Energy Star, (Refurbished) at TigerDirect.com

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

GForce
KORG
Softube
Sonic Charge
Sugar Bytes
u-he

list of people on board already

Wow!!! Softube...now that's what's up!

Last edited:
I get why they're doing it this way, they want to keep they're environment stable.

The closer it moves into open source territory the more prone to crashes it'll be....

I also agree with the glorified vst statement. The only difference for me is that when I rewire, its only to use the Redrum as a vst.

I will give it to Reason tho, Reason is the only DAW that hasn't crashed on me out of all the DAW's I've tried..

After watching the video
Alligator, The Echo & Pulveriser were plugins developed by 3rd parties, they were the first Rack Extensions used to test the technology

The Pros:
You dont have to learn new interfaces with different plugins that you may use

The Rack Extension will integrate seamlessly with the Reason Interface/System

When using multiple computers.. The Rack extensions will work with both systems Windows/Mac

You can use the Combinators with the Rack Extensions.

You can use the transport controls and other controls such as "undo" or all the automation
that goes directly to the sequencer.

All of the Rack Extensions work like the original reason racks.. so you dont have to have different plug ins that operate different

All of the Rack Extensions will have the same wiring/routing options as previous modules.

You can save all your patches within the reason system also, which is cool if youre making youre own sounds.

Rack Extension Store hosted on Propellerheads site.. (i assume it will be hosted on the developers sites as well)

Supposedly SoftUbe made their Rack Extension in 15 minutes.

And all they want developers to work about is Workflow, GUI Design (interfaces) and the DSP (the audio code)

And they'll be shipping it off in the 2nd quarter.

im excited bout it cant even lie, nothing like some new sounds, curious to see how much these rack extensions are gonna cost though

So. . .after chatting with ReFX. . . .

reFX said:
Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to release a Rack Extension version of Nexus[SUP]2[/SUP]. After looking into this possibility, we have determined that the Rack Extension format will not work for the Nexus[SUP]2[/SUP] product.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

i'm not amused.

again, Propellerhead comes with the BULLSHIT that's more in THEIR best interest than their CUSTOMERS.

If I had two monitors, I'd still be a REASON user.

Workflow is still the biggest draw.

I love working with two monitors as I use FL Studio inside of Acid Pro
great for my work flow

---------- Post added 03-22-2012 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-21-2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

I get why they're doing it this way, they want to keep they're environment stable.

The closer it moves into open source territory the more prone to crashes it'll be....

I also agree with the glorified vst statement. The only difference for me is that when I rewire, its only to use the Redrum as a vst.
I will give it to Reason tho, Reason is the only DAW that hasn't crashed on me out of all the DAW's I've tried..
same reason UAD using their cards to keep their plug-ins stable and unhackable at that

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

I love working with two monitors as I use FL Studio inside of Acid Pro
great for my work flow

---------- Post added 03-22-2012 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-21-2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

same reason UAD using their cards to keep their plug-ins stable and unhackable at that

and one thing I hate about DAW and their upgrades like I'm a crazy Cubase addict and I wish Yamaha the owner of Cubase would involve more yamaha products into the DAW.

Stoked! Already do 95% of my production in Reason... can't wait to see who develops what for the platform. If we get recycle integration as well then I'll be really stoked.

I was reading up on Reason 6 (I'm still on 4), and I was like "hmmm...Reason records audio now??"

Then I saw that ReCord was no longer on the product list. I :cry:'ed

I was wondering how long it would take for that whole closed system combo of Reason/Record to fail.

It didn't fail as such - PH just saw that their way forward was to integrate - they couldn't get the same density of user base for Record, which they felt offered (and I agree) superior performance and improved workflow as well as addressing the needs of folks who wanted to record alongside of Reason. Record always had Reason embedded within in it, it was not as though you had to rewire the two together - not something that was emphasised much in their talking about Record, making it seem like you needed both when in fact you only needed Record. In fact, to be blunt, it is not really Record that has disappeared from the product list but the stand-alone Reason version.
But honestly, I only use Reason as a glorified VST anyway. I Rewire it straight to Cubase, and use it just as I do any other VST.

Not really sure why more people don't work like that. But I guess for some people, Reason is their only sequencer.

I use cubase for notation based production. I use Reason for sequencer based production and sound design. I will sometimes rewire but the two environments have me using different parts of my skill sets in ways that generally don't interact well.

Last edited:
This seems like a dumb idea to me, personally.

Yeah if you wanna use VSTs with Reason why not just download Reaper like A_Eberts said and go to it?? ReWire is really not that hard...

Like Troup said, I'm still on Reason 4, with no plans to upgrade. I use it with Ableton Live and a few VSTs.

And I'm not trying to hate on Reason because I LOVE it... but mainly I love it because of how easy it is (via combinator) to stack divices/fx and create big, wide, unique sounds.

That said, there seems like a way easier solution for a lot of VST makers (especially since yall keep mentioning NEXUS) - A Reason Refill.

Isn't Nexus just a ROMpler??? So what's stopping them from releasing a Refill of Combinator patches featuring their samples in NN-XT format with built in Reason FX???

The thing I always found great about Reason was the CPU usage. If you add VSTs that pretty much out the window lol.

ReWire is really not that hard...

Like Troup said, I'm still on Reason 4, with no plans to upgrade. I use it with Ableton Live and a few VSTs.

#1. You must have two 47 inch screens to think that reason 6 is an easy rewire.

#2. Your using R4....totally different.

#3. Wires are cool.........but some people want to get straight to the point in one area. When I fire up Cubase..I ain't thinking about rewire. When I fire up Reason 3...(I still use R3) I'm not thinking about cubase til after I'm done. I'm in my zone now. So now I'm in cubase thinking....(wow I would love to use one of those refills I have.) Shit...now I got to load up Reason....got to move wires around and shit......got me like "dammit......I don't want to mess with wires right now....I want to get with the shit right now.....Damn...what was that idea that I thought about with the refill.....damn...which refill was I thinking about....FUUUUUUUUCK!!!"

This seems like a dumb idea to me, personally.

Yeah if you wanna use VSTs with Reason why not just download Reaper like A_Eberts said and go to it?? ReWire is really not that hard...

And I'm not trying to hate on Reason because I LOVE it... but mainly I love it because of how easy it is (via combinator) to stack divices/fx and create big, wide, unique sounds.

That said, there seems like a way easier solution for a lot of VST makers (especially since yall keep mentioning NEXUS) - A Reason Refill.

Isn't Nexus just a ROMpler??? So what's stopping them from releasing a Refill of Combinator patches featuring their samples in NN-XT format with built in Reason FX???

ReWire isnt hard its really a simple fact is... I dont want to.

its like having a great car.. but the only gas you can get is from a gas station thats 5 miles away.. yea 5 miles aint far.. but i just dont want to do it, its an inconvenience that if i could avoid at i would

I like reason how it is now. Dont listen to these knuckleheads Prop. Reason FORCES you to be creative. And teaches you sound design. I love Reason 6 best 400 ever spent.

So basically, what i'm hearing is that I can have a REASON version of my favorite Non PropHeads VST, but only if the manufacturer decides to make a "Reason Version"??

Hmm...another COMPLETE AND TOTAL FAIL FOR PROPELLER HEADS.

WTF is wrong with these guys? First it was "hey, lets create a sequencer that DOESN'T record audio". WTF???

Then it was, "hey, lets create a completely closed system, and force people to use our sequencer, fx, and VST Rack". WTF???

Now it's, "okay, lets let people use outside VST's, but only the ones that our competitors create to be used IN OUR RACK!"

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL ARE THEY THINKING???

If I'm Spectrasonics or Native Instruments, I'm laughing at the cluster fcuk of product ideas that are coming from the people over at Propellerheads.

You really think you're gonna see a REASON version of any of the Major VST's?? FORGET IT. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPETITORS. And no one is going to HELP Propellerheads compete against them.

Now if they just want NEW instruments within the Reason rack, then why not just build them in?

Or...they are probably just looking to make more money off reason by offering ADD-ON'S for purchase....

But isn't that the purpose of REFILLS??????

Yeah...these people are lost. lol

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

#1. You must have two 47 inch screens to think that reason 6 is an easy rewire.

#2. Your using R4....totally different.

#3. Wires are cool.........but some people want to get straight to the point in one area. When I fire up Cubase..I ain't thinking about rewire. When I fire up Reason 3...(I still use R3) I'm not thinking about cubase til after I'm done. I'm in my zone now. So now I'm in cubase thinking....(wow I would love to use one of those refills I have.) Shit...now I got to load up Reason....got to move wires around and shit......got me like "dammit......I don't want to mess with wires right now....I want to get with the shit right now.....Damn...what was that idea that I thought about with the refill.....damn...which refill was I thinking about....FUUUUUUUUCK!!!"

Reason 6 is different to rewire to a DAW? Why??? Shouldn't be.

1) Open Daw.

2) Open Reason

3) Load Reason Project

4) Load Daw Project

That's it. If you don't have a template, already, then you just need to activate the rewire channels on your daw, which in cubase is as simple as hitting the power button on whatever busses you want to activate.

As far as getting the "Reason Instruments to work" over those busses, you just create them as normal. Either create them pre-wired to the mixer, or create them pre-wired to the hardware interface.

It's no harder than being in your normal DAW, and routing a VST's audio to a different track.

I agree. If companies wanted their sounds in REASON, they could've made a Reason Refill or something.

PH are pretty arrogant, lol.

"You want in on REASON? Make a special VST..."

People already use REASON and their VST's together...

We should have a refill contest or something... then create a site and sell the refills on that site....

Last edited:
yea thats what i said in the original post about the arrogance factor

but i think the arrogance comes from the fact they want to preserve the stability that reason offers, not just to be greedy.

but at the end of the day, its still a free upgrade lol so it costs me nothing

yea thats what i said in the original post about the arrogance factor

but i think the arrogance comes from the fact they want to preserve the stability that reason offers, not just to be greedy.

but at the end of the day, its still a free upgrade lol so it costs me nothing

Reason is already and has been an incredibly unique product in the market place. The only real thing missing was the ability to record audio, which they've added in.

So for all practical purposes, it's a "fully functioning DAW"...minus the ability to use 3rd party plugins, which, if you already use Reason exclusively, you don't really care. And honestly, Reason has some pretty great FX already.

They need to stop trying to be EVERYTHING to EVERYBODY, and focus on what they do best...which is create some damn innovative and easy to use Virtual Instruments and FX, even if they are self contained.

Now what I'd like to see happen, is instead of actually bringing things INTO Reason, is if they packaged up their individual rack units and made them available via VST, for use in other Hosts.

I'd pay for the Kong separately. I'd pay for the Scream separately. And honestly, the NN-XT is a damn good sample manipulator. I'd pay for that separately.

So if they sold those for $50-$100 bucks a pop. they just made about $250 bucks off me, whereas I'm not willing to pay the $500 for the full latest Reason package.

Cuz i never have, and never will, use Reason as a Sequencer. EVER.

Last edited:
Back