Reason Owner buying Komplete....

Armoured Beats

Hi,

Basically a producer friend of mine says he uses Komplete rather than reason and his sounds seem a lot "fuller" and just a lot better quality than reason.

I know theres a lot involved in having to tweek the sounds in reason to get that pro sound but hes still adamant that Komplete synths are better than reason refills.

Is there anyone who has used both and switched from one to the other? Any feedback would be good :)

Thanks

If the guy's talking about the synths being better than reason's, he has no clue :/ (unless of course it's reaktor/absynth then it'd make sense those are modular)

Although them kontakt libraries might be better.I use reason as a Drum creator though so I don't have much experience with that vast array of refills.
And that's all preference, some people actually say komplete's sounds are too weak.

moving to komplete also means moving to another daw - are you sure that he isn't just pressuring you so that you can collaborate more easily??

both are excellent products (komplete and reason) and I use both extensively in my work. I even use a very old version of finale notepad+ (2k5) which just uses the gm sounds in windows for sketching ideas.

the crux of this dilemma for you is are you comfortable with what you can do with reason or do you feel that you are working too hard to get the sounds that you want?

Thanks for the replies.

I like Reason and the ways its set up but sometimes it can be a bit annoying finding "basic / flat" samples and having to start from scratch to get a decent sound that I have in my mind. That said though, its good as it is unique and exactly how you want it.

My friend is basically saying the preset samples in Komplete are better quality than in Reason and theres still options to tweak samples to create the sound you want.

If im honest the DAW doesnt really bother me too much, I just get used to what Im working with so if Komplete is generally better I would switch.

At the moment I am spending more time trying to get a particular sound from the samples in Reason rather than actually making the beat so in a way I think I am working hard getting the sound I want. I think it depends on what mood Im in!

The problem is its not pocket money buying this stuff so if I decide I have made the wrong choice Im out of pocket.

Thanks again for your feedback

I have used both and as far as synths go, Reason's synths are pretty good. Komplete synths have better presets that sound "fuller" but both can achieve great sounds, since "fullness" is something you can add.
As far as sampled instruments go, komplete is considerably better in my opinion.
But, since most of it depends on the music you make, I would advise against buying Komplete until you actually have a need for something that Reason can't do ;-)

a salving thought for you:

the samples that are found in the kontakt library can be loaded into any of the samplers in reason as long as they are one of the file types that reason uses (they are, I can vouch for this via my own cataloguing of my hard drives:))

so even if you decide that using komplete is not working for you, you still gain all of the library sounds

you would have to create new version of your sample libraries for reasons (I don't know of any software that converts kontakt mappings to reasons mappings, but there may be something out there that can do this for you)

Back