Reason needs...

Mathmatech

I have been using Reason for several years. I've been thinking on a few additions that I would like to see in the Reason rack. I have been thinking for some time how these additions would be cool to have at my disposal instead of make shifting a combi patch or export/rewire into another DAW and spend so much creative time doing so:

Spectrum Analyzer*
Multi Band Limiter**
White Noise Generator**
Upgrades to the FX units (filter, delay, chorus, and a new distortion)***
A new Synthesizer; with less options and built in patches, 4-6 or even 16 oscillators would be insane****
A new Mixer unit would be welcomed too (a replacement for the current main mixer)*****

*This is a big want, currently I export and import to another DAW to use a free VST
**Speaks for itself
***Reverb got an upgrade already, compressor and EQ got an upgrade, where’s the Filter upgrade. Why not make it a “class” or “line” of FX units like M-Class did for mastering
****I like building from init, to have another synth for inspiration would rock. Nothing fancy, tons of oscillators and LFO options would suffice :P
*****For some reason rewire directly to the hardware interface sounds better when using another DAW’s mixer, but then I have to mix and write automation all over again. Unless the record mixer can be used, I haven’t used it yet.

i'd like to see integration of the rebirth synth, an upgrade to some of the FX units and maybe a dedicated FM synth.

you can pretty much build a basic 4 band limiter using a combinator as an FX device but i guess that's besides the point.

Maybe you just need to learn the software better.

Spectrum Analyzer wouldn't be so bad but since most people don't mix or master the final product in Reason there really is no need.

Multiband Limiters can be made in reason with the Vocoder and the mclass limiter. Also multiband limiters are horrible for your music. There is a multiband compressor setting the mastering suite already.

White noise generator? Thor has one built in.

Upgraded fx? They do what they should. They can't have tons of emulations of different filters and delays and such. Just too much. If you need a different one it's usually done in a D.A.W. software.

Another synth??? Thor is like the ultimate programming synth. Plus you can use every other device to create anything you want by using various cv control. Start using the combinator more if you are bored with the included synths.

I would like to see a better mixer in Reason. And I have, it's called Record. Now I make tracks in Reason. Track and edit vocals in ProTools and do final Reason track mixing and editing in Record.

Yo after everybody of us saw what the props are capapable of programming...I am sure that Reason 5 will blow us away and everything you want will be integrated

Maybe you just need to learn the software better.

Spectrum Analyzer wouldn't be so bad but since most people don't mix or master the final product in Reason there really is no need.

Multiband Limiters can be made in reason with the Vocoder and the mclass limiter. Also multiband limiters are horrible for your music. There is a multiband compressor setting the mastering suite already.

White noise generator? Thor has one built in.

Upgraded fx? They do what they should. They can't have tons of emulations of different filters and delays and such. Just too much. If you need a different one it's usually done in a D.A.W. software.

Another synth??? Thor is like the ultimate programming synth. Plus you can use every other device to create anything you want by using various cv control. Start using the combinator more if you are bored with the included synths.

I would like to see a better mixer in Reason. And I have, it's called Record. Now I make tracks in Reason. Track and edit vocals in ProTools and do final Reason track mixing and editing in Record.

The comments about the white noise and that Thor as the be-all-end-all for synths in Reason are missing my point. I' don't want to argue why I'd rather load up a combi and dump sevral mal synths, and automate the combi rather than bring up a Thor. I do want to stress that I like the simple layouts of the sub and mal synths, even with hardware, simple gives more room for creative flow, and less time tweeking parameters. It would be cool, if there was one or even two new basic type synths that had different lfo options, osc options and filter options. Or possibly like stated above, an FM synth (possibly modled after a classic, popular 80’s synth). A synth designed like a Virus would be bad ass! (I know the virus is not FM, but had to throw that idea out into the web anyways.

Like I said about the mixer, I've not used Record yet, can't wait to buy it and use the two products together. The video demo gave me an idea of how it looks. (rewire?)

FX units? I said I do not want to open up another DAW, I'd like to have effect units to USE in a combi, not route out from a combi, then back to a comi and not be able to save a patch. There's another thread I saw today how someone hates that he has to recreate fx settings to a drrex when he loads another dr rex. A combinator might save him some trouble, but mayby he dosn’t want to spend the time loading a combinator. Not everyone’s workflow is the same.

Multi band preset in the mastering suit? How do I get that in the middle of a signal chain of a combi? routing out of a combi into another ect is too messy, I'm a network technician, I don't want to leave a combinator box to go to another, i've already got mixers and spiders in that box creating a mix.

I want to see a spectrum analyzer, and if it was a spectrum analyzer with multiple band eq built in that be dope too. Heck why not have TWO spectrum analyzer units, one that does what it says on the tin, and one that has all the bells and whistles for pple who like using the thor and want to spend crazy time programming.

:bigeyes: wow I ramble when I start talking about Reason. Keep up the good work props!! I'll probly be a customer for life :)

Yo after everybody of us saw what the props are capapable of programming...I am sure that Reason 5 will blow us away and everything you want will be integrated

I think a 4.5 with a bit of their upgrades would be awesome.

Personally, i like staying in the one program (keeps system resources down) and working with the rack (it was at one point the selling point of Reason), once I got used to the seq upgrade of 4, workflow got so much better.

Personally, I like staying in the one program (keeps system resources down) and working with the rack (it was at one point the selling point of Reason), once I got used to the seq upgrade of 4, workflow got so much better.

I want Redrum to have a better gating function. Using drums in NN-XT is a little more flexible but it could be alot better.

Personally, I like staying in the one program (keeps system resources down) and working with the rack (it was at one point the selling point of Reason), once I got used to the seq upgrade of 4, workflow got so much better.

I'd personally like to see a CV filter, an envelope sequencer a-la NI Massive, and some math functions to make more complex cv outputs: (a*b - 1) for example. I doubt they will do such things tho.

I want Redrum to have a better gating function. Using drums in NN-XT is a little more flexible but it could be alot better.

What do you mean a better gating function? you can hook a matrix up to the gate input. you need something better than that?

To the OP: A new mixer unit will not happen. That's what Record is for. They will not cut their own throat.

RV 7000 has an echo option, so a new delay unit is not likely.

Scream is there and Record had Pod6 effects so a new distortion unit is not likely.

Besides the thor noise generator, subtractor has a noise generator. you just need to turn off the 2nd oscillator, turn the osc mix knob 100% to the right, and turn up the noise.

U want a synth with less options but more Oscillator and LFO options. I don't understand.

As for LFO options that's what the CV mixer is for. you can combine LFOs, envelopes, and matrix sequences for more complex modulations.

Thor can do FM. Not just through the FM pair oscillator, you can also route audio level signals into thor and use it to modulate anything from the frequency of the internal or external oscillators to the cutoff freq of the filters or anything else you want. Will they emulate the DX-7 when there's so many DX-7 emulators out already? I doubt it.

Not trying to insult you, but it seems like Thor is too hard for you, but you want modules that overlap its features in an easier, more intuitive way. I doubt it will happen but you can hold your breath if you'd like.

I dunno what you mean by "recreate fx settings to a drrex when he loads another dr rex", but you can copy and paste all the settings from one unit to another unit of the same type.

You can't have it both ways. You want to only use one program, but you expect it to have the features of every single VST ever made.

I'm pretty much satisfied with everything Reason offers right now, the 2 things I wanted are going to be in Record which is importing audio files and batch export. If theres something I can't do in Reason I just bring the project over into Cubase. A larger selection of Refills would be nice too, I would like to see some Refills from Native Instruments.

I'd personally like to see a CV filter, an envelope sequencer a-la NI Massive, and some math functions to make more complex cv outputs: (a*b - 1) for example. I doubt they will do such things tho.

What do you mean a better gating function? you can hook a matrix up to the gate input. you need something better than that?

To the OP: A new mixer unit will not happen. That's what Record is for. They will not cut their own throat.

RV 7000 has an echo option, so a new delay unit is not likely.

Scream is there and Record had Pod6 effects so a new distortion unit is not likely.

Besides the thor noise generator, subtractor has a noise generator. you just need to turn off the 2nd oscillator, turn the osc mix knob 100% to the right, and turn up the noise.

U want a synth with less options but more Oscillator and LFO options. I don't understand.

As for LFO options that's what the CV mixer is for. you can combine LFOs, envelopes, and matrix sequences for more complex modulations.

Thor can do FM. Not just through the FM pair oscillator, you can also route audio level signals into thor and use it to modulate anything from the frequency of the internal or external oscillators to the cutoff freq of the filters or anything else you want. Will they emulate the DX-7 when there's so many DX-7 emulators out already? I doubt it.

Not trying to insult you, but it seems like Thor is too hard for you, but you want modules that overlap its features in an easier, more intuitive way. I doubt it will happen but you can hold your breath if you'd like.

I dunno what you mean by "recreate fx settings to a drrex when he loads another dr rex", but you can copy and paste all the settings from one unit to another unit of the same type.

You can't have it both ways. You want to only use one program, but you expect it to have the features of every single VST ever made.

Hey, that’s all dope, deff trying to school me on reason use but did not say anything about a Spectrum Analyzer lol. I've not used Record, and said that I can't wait to get it and finally not have to use Cubase (wait, still for a good Spectrum view).

I never tried it, but can't you use the vocoder as a low-quality analyzer? Other than that, I dunno what to tell you. I agree tho, they could use a proper analyzer/oscilloscope

Back