Reason Or Fl Studio... Listen...

Finesse06

im debating on wether i should get reason or fl studio. which one is more professional with the highest resolution? i know how to use fl studio but not reason. is it easy to get the hang of? wat can fl do that reason cant do? wat can reason do that fl cant do? is there a comparison chart?

i dont know much pass the basic of both but i had fl studio first and i made mad beats cuz its jus so damn easy but then i jus got a demo of reason and i loved it im tryna get reason my vote is reason

youll find tons of people who will argue either way, but I tried FL and didn't catch to it. I tried Reason and been using it since. There's some really good quality stuff made with FL, but personally I think the sound of reason is nicer. Try the Reason Demo http://www.propellerheads.se/ and see what you think. Read a bit of both manuals before hand maybe, that could be a big deciding factor also. Should be able to find them as PDF for free.

Personally i'm a reason user. Never really liked FL due to the poor user interface IMO. I just dont like the layout of it simple as. Theres too much goin on.

I was comfortable with Reason from the get go. I love it and i wouldn't change it for anything. It gives me much freedom when ReWired with Cubase.

Both FL and Reason can give you a professional sound if u know how to tweak your sounds. If you use preset kits and sounds people will be able to tell a mile off what you use. You gotta learn the software and its weaknesses.

Both have weaknesses in terms of sound quality of the libraries. Reason has refills that have been compressed to a crazy size, you use a lot of quality to due this.

Its a similar problem with FL.

You gotta use what feels comfortable to you. try the demo's for a month or so and see which one you like.

Get both. FL is comparable to a stock MPC2000 whereas you can clean it out and throw in your own samples and do whatever you feel like with them. Reason is comparable to a Motif/Triton/Fantom whereas out of the box you get an array of really good stock sounds for compositions. I have both. I've been using FL for years on the sampling end.But, I got reason to get more original compositions under my belt. As far as sound quality,a good ear and pristine mixing and mastering is going to make your product sound as good as you want it. You get out what you put in on both. Just my honest opinon. Good luck.

a couple very important decision makers:

- Reason cannot be used to record audio. It can only play samples, not record. With FL you could record an entire band.

- Reason cannot use 3rd party plug-ins and doesn't exactly come with cream of the crop sound processing, ( at least the last time i used it, 2.5). Reason is meant to be an addition to other DAW software.

It depends on your need out of your software. They both offer differnt things. They're both quality programs. For one person FL my be a great choice while reason is a HORRIBLE one (and vice versa). Overall, FL is more flexible.

ghost3000 said:
I used flstudio for about 4 years. i got reason 2 weeks ago and i promise i won't touch flstudio ever again.

LOL

You promise you will never touch it again?? Can you explain why this is? I'm curious to hear a good reason you would say that.

I know them both pretty much in and out and they're both equal... they have some major stengths/weaknesses in different areas over one another OF COURSE.

....WHAT style of music are you working with? (Probably sample based hiphop huh?)

By the way.. I am very unbias. I don't really like one better or worse than the other. It just depends on the use.

Last edited by a moderator:
whyd you laugh at his opinion then? heh. no offense.

i have been using FL studio for about 6 months now, and i know alot about it and when my bro showed me reason, i thought it was way more...........UP there, ya know, seems like FL studio is like garage band, something that little kids would just play around with, i mean, if i wouldnt have used FL studio, there would be many aspects of setting up songs and just ways of composing the music that i wouldnt know that i could apply to other programs and such like reason.

I have been using both for about 3 years. I can't decide on sticking 2 one of them. I love the VST option with FL, but Reason has just something that grabs me. BUt once you get quality refills with Reason I think it steps it up a tad bit higher. Since I startred buying refills of the reasonbanks website I have found a newer intrest in reason.

but then you lock yourself into using reason for those samples you bought...

If you bought a multi format sample collection, or a commonly used/imported one like akai or wav's you could use it with what you change your system to later on.

Reason is a very cool program which the Props are focusing more towards an instrument, or rack of instruments, than a sequencing environment. That probably means that Reason will remain as skeletal as ever with regard to anything other than instruments, FX, and routing.

FL is a sequencer first, with a gazillion features, but with laughable included instruments like, BooBass, Beepmap, and 3X Oscillator. But it's the modular approach, very low price, and all the features that makes FL attractive. Bring your own instruments seems to me to be the best way.

It's hard to make a direct comparison because they're very different.

I really agree with what LA stone just said. Many people do not take into consideration that the plugins that come with FL are just examples. You put your own in (may be more expensive) ...But theres are many vts's out there that you can get which you can pop into FL and take a shattt on reason. I like sequencing in FL a lot better (the piano roll is better). But for some REASON I have more fun working with reason.. I couldn't tell you why. As said above, "It's hard to make a direct comparison because they're very different." ...I 100% agree with that. But FL comes BARE BONES.. You beef it up by adding stuff to it. Something you cannot do with reason. If I had to call either of them a toy it would be reason due to its lack of flexiblity in contrast to FL. BUT I LOVE THEM BOTH!

You know what I like better than both of them though...? ABLETON live!

Last edited by a moderator:
kang said:
Personally i'm a reason user. Never really liked FL due to the poor user interface IMO. I just dont like the layout of it simple as. Theres too much goin on.

!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! I totally respect your opinion Kang, but i'm thinking the complete oposite! i HATE the interface of reason, i HATE it man lol!

but its kool, tho

FL still has that reputation that goes with it.

"Yo i make some Fire ass beats man, holla at me!"

"word? what u using?"

"man i'm using FRUITY LOOPS"

"ah oh helll no nah forget about it"

I'm an FL user and i don't plan on switchin anytime soon

yea, i dont know why LA was the first to say it, but FL and reaktor are really really *really* different. like, so different, they cant really be compared.... or, shouldnt be. its not fair to compare them.

if youre not sure about *which* you should buy, and you comparing them, you should definitely get FL.

research them more and youll see that they are really worlds apart.

are you wanting to make *tracks*, or make *sound* in general? thats a good place to start...

peace.

L. A. Stone said:
FL is a sequencer first, with a gazillion features, but with laughable included instruments like, BooBass, Beepmap, and 3X Oscillator.

ohhh my friend you'd be surprised how some veteran users can tweak that lil one, it can create MASSIVE sound if you know ur stuff, with loads of fx's tho, I personally got some really good results wit it, but i usually avoid using it.

but don't mistake me tho your right regarding the FL stock sounds, the majority sukks biiiig time, straight up fruity sounding.

PrinceOfDarkness said:

ohhh my friend you'd be surprised how some veteran users can tweak that lil one, it can create MASSIVE sound if you know ur stuff, with loads of fx's tho, I personally got some really good results wit it, but i usually avoid using it.

but don't mistake me tho your right regarding the FL stock sounds, the majority sukks biiiig time, straight up fruity sounding.

Actually, some of the demo tunes are impressive enough for me. But when I look into the making of some of that stuff, I see how much work went into getting that sound. I should probably give 3x Oscillator a little more credit though. There are other gems in there too like the wavetraveller, a completely realistic software scratching and turntable tricks solution. I also love the new Reverb in FL6. But at the end of the day, Cubase seems to be what fits me best. Still, there are features in FL that I wish were in Cubase. That's how strong FL's featureset is.

the piano roll is friuty is much better than reason.I you cant play a piano like me i still come up with hot stuff in fruity using the piano roll .

Back